Have you ever seen?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Have you ever seen?
I grow up being an atheist in a nearly atheist family (my mom believes in reincarnation sometimes). I am young and haven't seen many things yet. This is just a couple simple questions I have.

Have you ever seen a priest who doesn't believe in God? How did he manage his life?

Have you ever seen a marriage of an Atheist and a Theist? How do they manage their life?

Have you ever seen someone successfully deconvert a theist in person? How did it happen?

Have you ever seen a theist successfully convert an atheist in person? How did it happen?

Have you ever seen a peaceful conversation about religions between an atheist and a theist? How did it go?

Do you often say "Oh my god" like a habit though you are an atheist?

Last one. Have you ever done something crazy to the bible like tearing it, burning it, or wipe your butt with it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2016, 05:48 PM
RE: Have you ever seen?
Last one - I don't deface books, even ones I don't care for.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-05-2016, 06:00 PM
(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  I grow up being an atheist in a nearly atheist family (my mom believes in reincarnation sometimes). I am young and haven't seen many things yet. This is just a couple simple questions I have.

Have you ever seen a priest who doesn't believe in God? How did he manage his life?

I haven't knowingly seen one but they exist
The Clergy Project

Quote:Have you ever seen a marriage of an Atheist and a Theist? How do they manage their life?

There are many, including many here. Some work, some don't.

Quote:Have you ever seen someone successfully deconvert a theist in person? How did it happen?

Have you ever seen a theist successfully convert an atheist in person? How did it happen?

Conversion and deconversion usually occur over time, not as the result of a single interaction.

Quote:Have you ever seen a peaceful conversation about religions between an atheist and a theist? How did it go?

Of course. They don't generally change anybody's mind but they at least help understanding.

Quote:Do you often say "Oh my god" like a habit though you are an atheist?

I say that, and 'god damn it' and other phrases of that kind. They are just idiomatic phrases and have no literal meaning for me.

Quote:Last one. Have you ever done something crazy to the bible like tearing it, burning it, or wipe your butt with it?

No, although I have tossed a few in the trash

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
24-05-2016, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2016 06:15 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Not an atheist but...
Quote:Have you ever seen a priest who doesn't believe in God? How did he manage his life?
Not to my knowledge.

Quote:Have you ever seen a marriage of an Atheist and a Theist? How do they manage their life?
Yes. My mother and my father. She tolerates his constant putting on shows that disrespect her faith. He's an asshole in all things, not just religion (or lack there of) though.

Quote:Have you ever seen someone successfully deconvert a theist in person? How did it happen?
Yes. I did it actually; was having a presentation at a Catholic student group as a guest speaker, and accidentally managed to kill someone's faith by retorting to their snide comment about another religion by pointing out our own probably seemed pretty ludicrous from an outsider's perspective...and then made the mistake of giving examples. They were probably at the tail end of a long path of wavering anyhow (deconversions tend to be a drawn out process, not an automatic occurrence)...but never came to another meeting and several of the person's friends said he changed his FB religion to "atheist".

Quote:Have you ever seen a theist successfully convert an atheist in person? How did it happen?
Nope. I've never seen a Chick Tract happen in real life.

Quote:Have you ever seen a peaceful conversation about religions between an atheist and a theist? How did it go?
Plenty of times, online and offline. All you need are participants who aren't jerks.

Quote:Do you often say "Oh my god" like a habit though you are an atheist?
Not an atheist, but yes I do.

Quote:Last one. Have you ever done something crazy to the bible like tearing it, burning it, or wipe your butt with it?
Nope. Though I did pose a stuffed Enderman from Minecraft with two of the Book of Mormon that some missionaries gave me.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
24-05-2016, 06:09 PM
(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  I grow up being an atheist in a nearly atheist family (my mom believes in reincarnation sometimes). I am young and haven't seen many things yet. This is just a couple simple questions I have.

Have you ever seen a marriage of an Atheist and a Theist? How do they manage their life?

Have you ever seen someone successfully deconvert a theist in person? How did it happen?

Have you ever seen a peaceful conversation about religions between an atheist and a theist? How did it go?

Last one. Have you ever done something crazy to the bible like tearing it, burning it, or wipe your butt with it?

Deconversion is complex, and multi-facted. Specifically, the second video may answer some of your questions.
This series is a good reference

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-05-2016, 06:40 PM
(24-05-2016 05:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Last one - I don't deface books, even ones I don't care for.

The last one wouldn't be da face, it would be da butt.

Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-05-2016, 06:52 PM
(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  Have you ever seen a marriage of an Atheist and a Theist? How do they manage their life?

I'ved lived that for 35 years now. It's a non-issue.

#sigh
24-05-2016, 07:04 PM

To the last question: When and where I grew up it was considered defacing the Bible by setting anything on top of it. I was about 12 or so and decided to see what would happen if i put my older brother's Playboy magazine on top of it. I was the only one in the house at the time, so I did the dastardly deed and guess what. Nothing happened! The magazine didn't burst into flames, I didn't get struck down, nothing!
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
24-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Yes, a couple. Episcopalian priest and a Unitarian priest (female). They managed their lives fine because their denominations don't really have much of a focus on the afterlife, they were more about social justice.

Yes, I have some atheist friends who are married to theists (mostly Catholics). Their marriages are no more complicated than mine. Marriage is complicated necessarily. I only know people in fundamentalist theist/atheist marriages online, some are here, so I couldn't say how they manage their lives.

No. Evangelism of all stripes is distasteful to me. Any person who is deconverted in person is IMO operating on emotion, the same way a nonbeliever is converted to Christianity in a service. Decisions based on emotion can be valid, but need much more buttressing than a one-time experience will provide.

No.

I don't seek out real-life conversation about religion. The most peaceful conversation i have in my life about religion is a polite nod before I slam my front door on the Witnesses or Mormons. I have no desire to waste my time or theirs.

Of course.
No, I'm not two years old.
24-05-2016, 10:18 PM
(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  Do you often say "Oh my god" like a habit though you are an atheist?

I have that verbal habit, but I try to break it. I opt for "oh my goodness" or "oh good grief" when I remember.

I have torn and burnt part of a hotel Gideons Bible, but only for a good reason. I ran out of rolling papers.