Have you ever seen?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 11:16 PM
RE: Have you ever seen?
(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  Have you ever seen a priest who doesn't believe in God? How did he manage his life?
I know about one right in the Bible Belt, in Texas. He has to keep lying about his faith to everyone he knows so as not to commit social suicide and lose his job.

(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  Have you ever seen a marriage of an Atheist and a Theist? How do they manage their life?
My parents, for one. My mother is an atheist, my father a Christian preacher. My mother didn't mind going to church with us on Sundays and she didn't mind him raising us Christianly. It never came up much because religion is a private matter in Germany.

(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  Have you ever seen someone successfully deconvert a theist in person? How did it happen?
No.

(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  Have you ever seen a theist successfully convert an atheist in person? How did it happen?
No.

(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  Have you ever seen a peaceful conversation about religions between an atheist and a theist? How did it go?
Well, I've had peaceful conversations about religion with many people over the years, most notably one of my older brothers. I look up to him as someone much smarter than me which bothered me quite a bit when I deconverted and saw that he remained Christian. He wasn't able to explain why he had faith when I talked to him about it; he told me that he simply trusts the word of the Bible. He said that he can't show me any evidence to convince me of his point of view. I didn't leave feeling intellectually satisfied, but at least he was being honest.

(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  Do you often say "Oh my god" like a habit though you are an atheist?
Yes, although I don't make a conscious effort to avoid them. Those expressions are part of the English language so I'm going to use them.

(24-05-2016 05:31 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  Last one. Have you ever done something crazy to the bible like tearing it, burning it, or wipe your butt with it?
No.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
25-05-2016, 01:26 AM
toantranhhs.....

Have you ever seen a priest who doesn't believe in God? How did he manage his life? Never.

Have you ever seen a marriage of an Atheist and a Theist? How do they manage their life? Yes. The male atheist had to sign documentation confirming that any children would be raised as Roman Catholic, and they were married in a Catholic church.

Have you ever seen someone successfully deconvert a theist in person? How did it happen? Never.

Have you ever seen a theist successfully convert an atheist in person? How did it happen? Never.

Have you ever seen a peaceful conversation about religions between an atheist and a theist? How did it go? Yes. Several times on these forums.

Do you often say "Oh my god" like a habit though you are an atheist? No. Never. It seems to be largely something said by the so-called "millennials", and particularly younger females.

Last one. Have you ever done something crazy to the bible like tearing it, burning it, or wipe your butt with it? No. Pointless.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
25-05-2016, 02:16 AM
(24-05-2016 10:18 PM)I Am Wrote:  Do you often say "Oh my god" like a habit though you are an atheist?

I have that verbal habit, but I try to break it. I opt for "oh my goodness" or "oh good grief" when I remember.

The Phrase Finder writes that my goodness is a "minced oath":

My goodness —> My God, and My gosh —> My God

The phrase was originally used instead of swearing, with goodness being a euphemism (for God). The Oxford English Dictionary adds that goodness! has an established meaning in this vein, saying: In various exclamatory phrases, in which the original reference was to the goodness of God, as goodness gracious!, goodness (only) knows!, for goodness!, for goodness' sake!, in the name of goodness!, (I wish) to goodness!, surely to goodness!, thank goodness!, good grief! etc.

The first written usage was by Shakespeare—who else?—who wrote in 1623: (From Henry VIII Prol. 23) Therefore, for Goodnesse sake [the sake of God], and as you are knowne The First and Happiest Hearers of the Towne, Be sad, as we would make ye.

—With apologies for the boredom factor. Smartass

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
25-05-2016, 06:00 AM
(24-05-2016 07:04 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  To the last question: When and where I grew up it was considered defacing the Bible by setting anything on top of it. I was about 12 or so and decided to see what would happen if i put my older brother's Playboy magazine on top of it. I was the only one in the house at the time, so I did the dastardly deed and guess what. Nothing happened! The magazine didn't burst into flames, I didn't get struck down, nothing!

Science!
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP