Have you ever thought....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2011, 07:01 AM
RE: Have you ever thought....
(10-02-2011 05:50 AM)Kikko Wrote:  First I thought I could just take it easy and have a small potato field, but then I got an idea: how about trying to grow coffee?
It takes 4-5 years for the coffee bush to start producing coffee, but I could also buy one or two 1-3 year old bushes to get some feel into it before my own bushes grow.
Now to find out if Coffee Arabica can survive dark winters. Summers shouldn't cause problems, there's plenty of light and heat then, but winter is sort of the opposite.

It would also be a great business idea if it would be possible to produce local coffee efficiently (Finland uses more coffee than any other country when compared to population [Finland: 10kg/person, Middle Europe: 5.5kg/person]). But I doubt if it's possible, since nobody seems to be doing it yet, but it could also be because coffee exported from indebted 3rd world countries is so cheap.
Now that would be AMAZING! If you find a type of coffee that can survive your climate you would have the ultimate environment saving project!! Keep me updated on what you find out.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2011, 07:53 AM
There's no way for any coffee species to grow outside. Even if one could succesfully breed a species to stand darkness, it would be impossible to adapt it to survive over -25 C temperatures in snow. So I'll have to grow it indoors, which should be relatively easy.

Actually, I could start the project alrady, since it takes a couple of months for it to sprout. It will just need moist soil, regular watering and heat (15-25 C, although it can survive lower temporary temperatures). Winters won't be bad if I'll buy a lamp for them.
I just haven't found a place from the internet to get seeds from. Many have asked for seeds from coffee producers, but I heard they don't grow well. So I'll have to try to find some from real stores. I wanna get this started soon.

O', and I'll go with Coffea Arabica.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
10-02-2011, 08:06 AM
awesome!

12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Aw c'mon guys!!!! Nobody's up for a challenge?????

12-02-2011, 04:04 PM
When I mentioned aeroponics I was referring to a restaurant in NY which grows its own vegetables on the roof of its building.

Here's an idea Stark , how about a vine that surrounds the entire house. I've seen houses like that , they look awesome - granted the vines aren't producing eatable produce ....
So here's your challenge , how could I grow a grape wine around my house in a temperate climate ? Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Grape vines can be more labor intensive than many other plants, because they need to be properly pruned and trained to yield a good harvest. It's not so bad once they are more mature though. Depending on how temperate your climate is, there are many grapes that are quite hardy. Your best bet for finding a strain for your area would be a little googling, and a visit to some local geenhouses/nurseries. You won't likely find, however, a grape that will grow high enough to cover your walls, even in a bungalow. I'd go for it on the sunny side of your house though. Just put up some sturdy lattice, on a strong frame, and make sure you have some rich, deep soil for the grapes to grow in. I prefer blueberries to grapes, and I have lots of pine trees to collect pine needle compost from under (blueberries love an acidic soil) so I grow them and blackberries/raspberries instead.

On the shady side, there's not many edible plants, but you'd still benefit from growing vines there. They add insulation and look great. Plus the more plants in exposed areas, the cleaner your air will be!

Another way to take advantage of lattice on your walls is growing beans, peas, cucumbers, and any other climbing plant. It leaves other areas open for whatever else you want. People often have a habit of relegating their vegetable gardens to a single corner of their yard. I like to put them everywhere. Got a walkway to border with flowers every year? Instead, try growing a combination of Swiss chard (Use the "rainbow" variety. It has different colored stalks, and adds tons of color. Plus it's great in salads, and can be used for pretty much anything spinach can) and Lemon Balm (It's a delecate looking leaf, so it compliments the big chard leaves, and it smells great. Along a walkway, every time you brush past it, it will release the lemon smell, plus it repels mosquitoes! Harvest the leaves, and chop them fresh to cook with chicken and thyme. Dry them for tea, and for winter seasoning)

12-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Sorry Stark I'm just busy with home improvement and activism. Haven't gotten to the outside yet. I definitely like a lot of your suggestions though.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
15-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Guys! I just beat google: I found coffee seeds online. I'm a month late from planting, I hope that doesn't matter much. All I need now is calcium oxide free soil and peat.

Accept me or go to hell.
15-02-2011, 10:11 AM
LP > A tomato plant in a pot would take about ten minutes of care a week. If you're willing, I'll help you get it set up, and answer even the smallest question. I promise it really is easy, and takes less time than picking through the tomatoes at the grocery store. A cherry tomato plant would be the easiest, and you'll be able to eat them right off the vine! Waddaya say?

Kikko > When you brew that first cup of coffee I'll be wishing I was with you!! Good on ya!!!!!!

23-02-2011, 05:18 AM
Well this is just great. I've had the seeds in water for 48hours now, but I just realized that my soil and peat are completely frozen. I've kept them in the entry but I didn't realize it's that cold in there. It's going to take forever for those to mealt... Sad

Although it's not very springy yet, I'm thinking of the small potato field. I haven't found too much information in Finnish (Finland isn't very 'internetized' yet), so I'll be having some questions when planning it. I'll be growing horse beans in the same field, although I don't know if they taste good, but growing something else in the same field should help the potatoes.
My first concern is the moles. My mother tried growing potatoes a couple of times, but the moles ate them. Is there any way to keep them away? And how much sun do they need?

Accept me or go to hell.