Have you ever thought....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2011, 08:47 AM
RE: Have you ever thought....
As far as moles go, I don't think there's much you can do. What I do is just make sure I grow enough for them too. They won't eat too many unless you have a serious problem. As long as you are expecting to lose a few to them, it never seems like a big deal when you harvest.
Potatoes do well in a sunny spot. You'll be burying alot of the plant as it grows, so it's better for the remaining plant above the soil to get plenty of sun. That said, they will tolerate a small amount of shade. If you're putting them where there's some shade, I'll give you some hints on how to get a better crop if you like.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I attempted to grow my own basil, but I failed miserably. Sometimes I think I have a black thumb Sad

I might try to grow something again now that the days are getting longer, 'cause I think part of the problem may have been that my basil plant wasn't getting enough light.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
29-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Just a quick update:
I have no idea what I did wrong with the seeds, but they didn't do anything so I digged them up a couple of weeks ago. None were succesfull. Sad At least now I have time to plan what I'll do with next year's seeds. I'll need a couple of plant-lamps and an under-watering system, because I can't water them every single day.

This weekend I'm turning a small experimental 2-2,5m x 2-2.5m field and plant potatoes and bull beans next week.

Btw, I currently have some birch sap ''flowing'' from one of our birces. Cool I love summerish-spring.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
29-04-2011, 09:53 AM

(09-02-2011 07:50 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  I would actually love to try this, but...

We live in a tiny apartment. I've tried to grow simple flowers on our tiny porch, but the afternoon sun here is SCORCHING hot. All my plants I've tried so far have not lived long. Sad The inside of the apartment is very dark, so I can't really grow anything inside.

I'm open to ideas. Wink
You might be surprised at what's available as Indoor Gardening Supplies

Now days in the States at least, unless one's property is already zoned agricultural, it would first entail checking the zoning restrictions I'd think. Especially growing your own meat animals. Like chickens. Of course, you'd have to have the heart to wring the little things neck and then pluck all the feathers after whacking it's head off.
That's why I'm a patron of the contract killer. I buy the meat I eat from the store after someone else else has done the deed. I think I'd graze grass before I'd have the heart to kill something to eat. Undecided
Quote this message in a reply