Have you forgotten how to pray aswell?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 09:13 AM
RE: Have you forgotten how to pray aswell?
(31-12-2013 08:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  Oh god, I used to have to pray the rosary after confession, to repent for my imaginary sins, on my knees, in church where everyone could see just how much you had to repent.

I don't remember a damn thing about the prayers, except that there were tons of them and most of them repetition.

That's awful. I would have forgotten them too after experiencing that. Ohmy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2013, 09:41 AM
(31-12-2013 08:44 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 07:58 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I dont know how praying is done where you live or grew up. Where I live there is a very traditional prayr which pritty much is used during every occasion. The "Father unser" - "Our father" - which is your typical boring catholic cermon.

Now, I didn`t have to go to church anymore when I was about 7 or 8 years old, and we really didnt pray much at home.

And just now, when I decided to not read the "Atheist prayer" thread because it is too long, I noticed that I have forgotten this prayr. And that in fact I had forgoten how to pray at all.

You?

It is not only typical for the catholics , it is also the most common prayer for the orthodox .
I believe it is from the Sermon on the mount.

In Latin

PATER NOSTER, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

In English

OUR FATHER, who are in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

I think it is missing: for Thy is the kingdom and the power and the glory. Forever. Or something like that
31-12-2013, 09:54 AM
I hated praying when I believed. See, I didn't pray out loud but in thought, as I felt God could hear my thoughts. But the problem was when I would pray, I'd tell myself not to think of anything sinful, which of course was the only thing I could think about while praying. So the whole time I'm just trying to put these thoughts out of my mind, well, you can imagine.

As humorous as that might be, it also kind of angers me, because I would just immediately feel extremely guilty for my "sinful nature" (that I now realize that even if that were true, I had no control over it and could do nothing about and was in no way at fault for) every time I went into prayer. This is why I rarely prayed, I think.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING
31-12-2013, 10:40 AM
(31-12-2013 09:41 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 08:44 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  It is not only typical for the catholics , it is also the most common prayer for the orthodox .
I believe it is from the Sermon on the mount.

In Latin

PATER NOSTER, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

In English

OUR FATHER, who are in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

I think it is missing: for Thy is the kingdom and the power and the glory. Forever. Or something like that
For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours, now and forever. Amen.

But (at least in the Catholic church) that part isn't always said. So I think the prayer is correct with or without it.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair