Have you gone to Christian events as an Atheist, on purpose?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2012, 12:23 AM
RE: Have you gone to Christian events as an Atheist, on purpose?
(11-10-2012 08:29 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Sounds like a traveling circus (Craig and the buffoons!) that It would be interesting to attend but it probably would substantially lower my view on my fellow man.

Interesting word choice in the pamphlet: convert people to atheism.
The use of the word "convert" is probably intentional; they are trying to equate atheism to simply yet another faith system which as we all know is a fallacy.

This pamphlet is totally interesting, actually.

First, they have a time frame. So excited to know they can debunk the 'belief' of Atheism in 2.5 hours.

Then, they warn that our children (not us, nope, not the moms and dads) are being challenged by it.

Then they inform us that 'young people' are dropping out because of their intellectual doubts. Allow me to pull up the dictionary and thesaurus here Smile

Quote:intellectual |ˌintlˈekCHo͞oəl|
adjective
of or relating to the intellect: children need intellectual stimulation.
• appealing to or requiring use of the intellect: the movie wasn't very intellectual, but it caught the mood of the times.
• possessing a highly developed intellect: you are an intellectual girl, like your mother.
noun
a person possessing a highly developed intellect.

intellectual
adjective
1 her intellectual capacity: mental, cerebral, cognitive, psychological; rational, abstract, conceptual, theoretical, analytical, logical; academic. ANTONYMS physical.
2 an intellectual man: intelligent, clever, academic, educated, well-read, lettered, erudite, cerebral, learned, knowledgeable, literary, bookish, highbrow, scholarly, studious, enlightened, sophisticated, cultured, donnish; informal brainy. ANTONYMS stupid.

Ha Ha!

I'm also excited to hear Dr Craig's inside stories of debates with leading atheists. Is this a he-said-she-said thing or will it be a documented example?

Furthermore, personal (so REAL!) stories of atheists turned Christians. Fascinating.

Again, all in 2.5 hours. Smile Oh, and we are going with another friend who is a professional magician and hypnotist, so I'm curious what his take on events will be.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
13-10-2012, 01:35 AM
hey LJ...listen to this astounding statement.
"religion can help to adjudicate scientific theories"
(Are you fucking kidding me? There are simply no words with which to respond to that.)
Ask him if he was on drugs that day.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-10-2012, 09:38 AM
I think it would be interesting to go to a lecture like that, but I would have a hard time not speaking out and/or laughing. I guarantee the arguments will be full of atheist strawmen, misrepresented positions, and pseudoscience.

The only reasons I would go to a church nowdays are for funerals and weddings and such.
13-10-2012, 09:58 AM
(13-10-2012 01:35 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  hey LJ...listen to this astounding statement.
"religion can help to adjudicate scientific theories"
(Are you fucking kidding me? There are simply no words with which to respond to that.)
Ask him if he was on drugs that day.

Yeah, I have a feeling that this will be a classic 'fill in any science holes with God' move. Furthermore, he goes on to take away any science and fill those holes with God theory, too. Ha ha. That's still a long shot at proving the Christian God exists- proof please! Big Grin
13-10-2012, 10:02 AM
(11-10-2012 05:13 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 02:22 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  So my very near and dear friend is an FSM minister now. She is the one I've mentioned on the forum that will be going on an American Bible Belt tour with me.

We both, along with a few of our other friends, have an acute sense of fascination with the religious culture from an outside perspective. Not many people get that, they wonder why we 'waste our time' and don't invest in other meaningful activities, like science centres or helping the needy or whatever. I view our fascination as an opportunity to look at what may be a 'dark age' in the future, first hand. Oppurtunity! Plus it's pretty well its own culture.

Anyway, just explaining to poise the question: Would or have you gone to a Christian event just to check it out from an Atheist perspective?

My friend just invited me to a church next weekend who is having a special topic and guest appearances (by some nominal Christian doctors or something) all about ATHEISM!

I know we hear about this all week long (a lot of us anyway) from people in our personal life, but I am curious what a 'professional prevention' on the subject would look like.

Would you go?

Pamphlet info

Unpacking Atheism
(From 6:30pm-9:00pm)
Skepticism & Atheism is on the rise. If you haven't been
confronted by it yet, you will be!
Your children are already being challenged bit it. Here are some sobering facts;
1 in 4 Americans under 30 now described their religion as "atheist", "agnostic", or "nothing in particular"
young people are dropping out of church at 5-6 times the historic rate, often because of intellectual doubts
books by the New Atheists have gone mainstream, many becoming international bestsellers
Beyond questioning God's existence & the reliability of Scriptures...atheism has more questions;
Isn't religion false & irrational, also even dangerous, violent & source of conflicts?
Isn't morality a product of evolution, a past biological mechanism for survival?
Isn't religion just a natural phenomenon or a human invention, having nothing to do with a real God?
Isn't faith blind, irrational & unjustifiable?
Isn't the God of the OT and the Father of Jesus a wrathful, violent, blood thirsty God?
Isn't science undermining belief in God? and more...

In recent years, atheism has renewed its strengths, regrouped & got organized. The effects of it are seeping into our culture and, increasingly, into the church. The New Atheists are very vocal in their claims and are on a campaign to be heard. Their purpose is simple; convert people to atheism, have Christians question their faith, and ultimately get rid of religion. Shall we get prepared & equipped or remain passive?
Together, Strobel, Mittelberg & Dr. Craig will unpack the central claims made by the New Atheists and discuss how we can best answer them. In addition, they'll disclose inside stories of Dr. Craig's landmark debates with many of the leading atheists & skeptics around the world.
They'll also interview other guests with fascinating stories of coming out of atheism to follow Christ. Together, we'll answer the toughest challenges to our faith, hear stories of truth triumphing over doubts, and point people confidently toward trust in Christ.
All are welcome! See you there.

Ask them how much they charge, and why ?
We discussed this series here, recently :
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ight=Craig
Are you going to ask a question ?
BTW, did she get her PhD in Heresy ?
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...+in+Heresy

What the heck. I missed this post. I'm going to check out what you all have been saying! Thanks.
13-10-2012, 10:33 AM
I like the last part of the original question: "on purpose."

Have any atheists attended a Christian event on accident? Consider

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-10-2012, 09:07 PM
(13-10-2012 10:33 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I like the last part of the original question: "on purpose."

Yeah, last week I accidentally participated in a Christian chat without knowing it was Christian first, I thought it was just a late night TV program.
13-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Let me translate Billy Craig's line of reasoning and argument in plane English.

"Einstein could not prove that god does not exist; therefore he does"

If you take all of Graig's arguments apart this is all he every says no matter how long he talks, who he is talking to, or where he is talking.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
13-10-2012, 09:57 PM
(13-10-2012 09:07 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(13-10-2012 10:33 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I like the last part of the original question: "on purpose."

Yeah, last week I accidentally participated in a Christian chat without knowing it was Christian first, I thought it was just a late night TV program.

How odd. Consider

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel