Have you lost your morals yet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2014, 11:43 PM
RE: Have you lost your morals yet?
(02-09-2014 11:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Evolution Kill's morality =/= morality from evolution. Sadcryface

I somehow doubt we evolved to feel guilty over accidentally stealing from oppressive corporate oligarchs, so sorry? Undecided

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2014, 12:02 AM
(02-09-2014 11:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 11:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Evolution Kill's morality =/= morality from evolution. Sadcryface

I somehow doubt we evolved to feel guilty over accidentally stealing from oppressive corporate oligarchs, so sorry? Undecided

Indeed.

Instead we developed empathy for the cashier or the shelf-stacker who might be accused of stealing when the weekly stock-reconciliation reveals items have gone missing.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-09-2014, 12:06 AM
(03-09-2014 12:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 11:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I somehow doubt we evolved to feel guilty over accidentally stealing from oppressive corporate oligarchs, so sorry? Undecided

Indeed.

Instead we developed empathy for the cashier or the shelf-stacker who might be accused of stealing when the weekly stock-reconciliation reveals items have gone missing.

Drinking Beverage

I doubt that they keep track of their stock that closely - kids nick shit all the time from stores, or at least, that was the national sport when I was a teenager. Mind you all them radio tags for things and so forth probably mean that you need a clean pair of heels on you these days...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-09-2014, 12:23 AM
(03-09-2014 12:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 11:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I somehow doubt we evolved to feel guilty over accidentally stealing from oppressive corporate oligarchs, so sorry? Undecided

Indeed.

Drinking Beverage

I would, if I thought that my action had any affect on what happens to them. I didn't steal from them, we (the cashier and myself) both made the mistake of failing to catch a 2-pack of Sharpie markers for $1.50. What is a $1.50 to Walmart, or their owners the Walton family? Nothing. What is $1.50 worth to me? Considering I make only $9.50 an hour because my own boss and elected officials lack the empathy to raise the minimum wage to a living wage? That eats up considerably more of spending power. I have very little empathy for a corporation, an entity created for the express purpose of spreading risk and accountability; thus spreading out any guilt I might of had to any person. I didn't steal from a person, but from an amorphous legal entity endowed with far more resources than any human, and given more rights in my own country than any natural born private citizen has.

Tell you what, I'll start feeling bad for shorting Walmart whenever they start get enough empathy to start paying their employees a decent living wage. Drinking Beverage

Technically this is an evolved morality, as we've evolved a sufficient capacity for rationalization. Tongue

03-09-2014, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 01:22 AM by DLJ.)
(02-09-2014 08:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just today I went back into the store to pay for soemthing that slipped down in the cart and was missed by myself and the person checking my groceries.

(02-09-2014 08:54 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I walked into Ikea the other day and found a loonie (aka dollar). The guy next to me wouldn't take it so I tried giving it to a kid. A kid! I should have just ate that little shit.

(03-09-2014 12:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  - kids nick shit all the time from stores, or at least, that was the national sport when I was a teenager.

(03-09-2014 12:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Tell you what, I'll start feeling bad for shorting Walmart whenever they start get enough empathy to start paying their employees a decent living wage. Drinking Beverage

Compare and contrast...

[Image: 760918_orig.gif]

And for the OP... christianty's heaven/hell nonsense puts them very low down the list.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-09-2014, 01:19 AM
(03-09-2014 01:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 08:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just today I went back into the store to pay for soemthing that slipped down in the cart and was missed by myself and the person checking my groceries.

(02-09-2014 08:54 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I walked into Ikea the other day and found a loonie (aka dollar). The guy next to me wouldn't take it so I tried giving it to a kid. A kid! I should have just ate that little shit.

(03-09-2014 12:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Tell you what, I'll start feeling bad for shorting Walmart whenever they start get enough empathy to start paying their employees a decent living wage. Drinking Beverage

Compare and contrast...

Drinking Beverage

Problem: I know enough to know that Walmart isn't sharing those same standards, so I do not feel guilty for failing holding myself to them when I know they do not.

I still won't apologize for having zero empathy for an amorphous legal entity with no accountability, massive resources, more legal rights than myself, and a vested interest in purchasing my elected representatives to forward it's own interests at the expense of my own. Given all this, do I feel guilty for accidentally not paying for a 2-pack of Sharpie markers? Fuck no.

03-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Lost implies I had some to begin with.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
03-09-2014, 05:10 AM
(03-09-2014 01:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-09-2014 01:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Compare and contrast...

Drinking Beverage

Problem: I know enough to know that Walmart isn't sharing those same standards, so I do not feel guilty for failing holding myself to them when I know they do not.

I still won't apologize for having zero empathy for an amorphous legal entity with no accountability, massive resources, more legal rights than myself, and a vested interest in purchasing my elected representatives to forward it's own interests at the expense of my own. Given all this, do I feel guilty for accidentally not paying for a 2-pack of Sharpie markers? Fuck no.

My morals tell me to stop shopping at walmart.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 3 users Like Colourcraze's post
03-09-2014, 06:53 AM
I have not lost my morals since moving away from religion. If anything I have become more moral and ethical since my de-conversion. With no after life it makes being the best person I can be all the more important.

I walked away from a possibly lucrative project with my neighbor (who is very catholic and owns a machine shop). He gave me the scope and it was going to be revers engineering (the nice way of saying "copying") an existing design. I very nicely told him I was going to have no part of it. Then proceeded to explain the un-ethical nature of the whole thing. A few days later he came back and told me he walked away from it also. His reason was after he listened to my explanation and slept on it for a few days he realized how wrong it was. If only he knew it was an atheist that set him straight......
[+] 4 users Like wazzel's post
03-09-2014, 07:28 AM
beeglez, expect an answer akin to "You still have Jesus in your heart" or something stupid (and downright insulting, IMO) like that.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post