Have you lost your morals yet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 08:21 PM
RE: Have you lost your morals yet?
I haven't lost them, I keep them in an old shoebox under my bed. Sometimes I take them out for special occasions Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
04-09-2014, 09:57 PM
(04-09-2014 08:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-09-2014 01:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Compare and contrast...

That is very good.
[Image: morals.gif]

It sounds to me like stage 6 is just a combination of stage 1 and 2. Or maybe I'm still stuck in preconventional. I play by most rules because it is beneficial to me in that I avoid punishment and usually get what I want. Helping to improve the quality of life of those around me is beneficial in that my quality of life may improve. Seeing other people happy usually makes me happy - still selfish.

I make my own moral code - I don't get it from a spirit that thinks hearts have doors. It's not much different than from when I was a Christian, only now I don't feel guilty all the time.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
04-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Morals are evil Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-09-2014, 06:44 AM
(04-09-2014 08:21 PM)pablo Wrote:  I haven't lost them, I keep them in an old shoebox under my bed. Sometimes I take them out for special occasions Big Grin

I sold mine at a garage sale for $3, along with my soul.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
05-09-2014, 02:44 PM
(02-09-2014 08:18 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I and some other people pointed out that Jesus wasn't required for morality. One guy actually said you LOSE your morals when you lose god.
It's a philosophical argument.

From where do moral truths come?
If it comes from the individual then it is more of a subjective opinion than a moral truth.
If it comes from something external to the individual and applies to all in the form of an objective truth then from where does it come? DNA, The Cosmos, some god or gods?

I think most people agree that the Cosmos is indifferent to human behaviour.
Most atheists would agree that the can change our moral views and since we can't change our DNA then morals cannot be DNA.
All atheists are unconvinced with regards to the existence of supernatural magical beings.

So where do moral truths come from?
05-09-2014, 03:25 PM
(04-09-2014 08:21 PM)pablo Wrote:  I haven't lost them, I keep them in an old shoebox under my bed. Sometimes I take them out for special occasions Big Grin

Me too. I think I know where they are. I saw the dog playing with them yesterday. They must be around here somewhere. I already killed everyone I need to, so they won't do me much good anyway.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
(04-09-2014 02:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 11:08 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  You do, in fact, have God standing over your shoulder telling you those thing's are wrong. You could not have any morals without God.

Oh, diddo, diddo, diddo. What the hell are we going to do with you?

If belief in god was the litmus test for morality then Sweden, Japan, Norway and some of the other atheist countries would be out bombing the hell out of everyone, killing each other and raping everything in sight. Instead they have the lowest crime rates in the world and are some of the happiest and most contented people. If belief in god was all it took to be moral then the only people occupying jails and prisons would be atheist, instead theists are by far the majority and atheists are barely even a sliver in the pie chart.

The Japanese kill whales and sharks unnecessarily. So, there's that.

Oh yeah, they lie about it, too. Assholes.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2014, 06:45 PM
(05-09-2014 02:44 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 08:18 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I and some other people pointed out that Jesus wasn't required for morality. One guy actually said you LOSE your morals when you lose god.
It's a philosophical argument.

From where do moral truths come?
If it comes from the individual then it is more of a subjective opinion than a moral truth.
If it comes from something external to the individual and applies to all in the form of an objective truth then from where does it come? DNA, The Cosmos, some god or gods?

I think most people agree that the Cosmos is indifferent to human behaviour.
Most atheists would agree that the can change our moral views and since we can't change our DNA then morals cannot be DNA.
All atheists are unconvinced with regards to the existence of supernatural magical beings.

So where do moral truths come from?

There are no moral truths. There is an evolved moral sense; the rest we make up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-09-2014, 02:36 AM
(05-09-2014 06:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  There are no moral truths. There is an evolved moral sense; the rest we make up.
Yes, there are no moral truths.

"Evolved moral sense" is a nonsensical phrase given that there are no moral truths.

Moral terminology is a mess, almost worthless.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
09-09-2014, 10:17 AM
This was one of the first things my wife said to me when I told her I was an Atheist, "But you're such a good person." I basically told her there's absolutely no reason to be an asshat, it would make like miserable. Still unacceptable to her, "You're probably the kindest man that I know."

So I went with, "Now imagine how even more special my acts of kindness are when they are just done out of kindness and not used as a means to garner some bling for my mansion in heaven!"

Since I told her I have; rescued a puppy from a major street (while she watched from the parking lot), performed first aid on a guy that passed out and busted his head open, ran a mile to guide first responders to a cyclist that wiped out and was not-responsive, gave up my prime seat at my kid's concert to a little old lady, plenty of other kind acts but these were the biggies to her. She can't fathom why I continue to do these things if there is no reward for them.

But I'm the scumbag Atheist!

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
[+] 4 users Like Silo1180's post