Have you read the bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2010, 09:57 AM

Have you read the bible?
Well in my country, we're obligated to read the bible and succeed to move on to the university, but how is it in your country?
Are you obligated to read the bible?
Have you ever read it, just for fun or maybe you've heard about it from your friends and family?
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2010, 11:28 AM
RE: Have you read the bible?
I have never read it(and I live in the US), but in my English class there are a lot of biblical references. I don't have to read the bible, but Christianity is to interwoven into our culture that you need to understand some of it, other wise so many references on TV or in books will be lost.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I've read all of Tanakh which includes most (if not all) of the old testament.
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Yes after taking two religion classes at my college I have read a large portion of the Bible. It is what I always suspected a bunch of stories that are demonstrably false. Anyone that has read a large portion of it and not just what preachers want them to read can tell that it is pretty much a fable.
08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I've read most of it. It's not required, but over my years on boards like this, you usually find yourself reading a good portion.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
09-06-2010, 01:48 AM

Read it and studied the history behind it. Fascinating and odd work of literature, very reflective of the time it was written in my opinion. I find it amazing people actually take it literally to this very day!
09-06-2010, 07:14 AM

Read a lot of it.... I find it disturbing and barbaric.
09-06-2010, 08:24 AM

(09-06-2010 07:14 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  Read a lot of it.... I find it disturbing and barbaric.

I fully concur...
15-06-2010, 10:17 PM
It's tough to say how much I've actually read, though I've certainly not read the whole thing. I'm thinking of undertaking that very project...

I went to a private Christian school for several years, and took a mandatory Bible class each year, so I've read or been exposed to a decent chunk of it.

What's funny now is to read the parts that I thought were good, and see how demonstrably false and/or ridiculous they are... and remember (and at times, still employ) all the rationalizations that made it "good" or "true" or "profound and wise."

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
12-07-2010, 11:40 PM

I grew up a Christian. I have read the Bible. I read it when I was younger and also when I was going through Catholic confirmation classes. If you truly read the Bible, you would love God as your Lord and Savior. The Bible is Perfect and 100% true.