Have you read the bible as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2011, 11:49 AM

Have you read the bible as an atheist?
So I made the commitment to actually sit down and read the bible to better arm myself for debate. I have read excerpts and such as a kid @ sunday school and all, but I have never read it cover to cover in a critical manner. My question is...who else here has done this and how the hell did you get through it??? I am having a hard time getting through genesis without getting bored and feeling like I should be reading something more productive.
Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2011, 12:06 PM
RE: Have you read the bible as an atheist?
I don't read fiction (true story).

The only work of fiction that I've ever read from cover to cover is Ender's Game. I might have read some books in elementary or middle school, but my memory isn't good enough for me to say one way or the other.

I only read The Bible in bits and pieces. If someone quotes a scripture, then I might go an read the entire chapter for context, and google the entire book to get the broader picture.

I play CityVille, and I need you as my neighbor!
I need a job too, so that I can play CityVille less.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Yeah...i am starting to think that will probably be my approach.
25-03-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, so I won't be reading the bible any time soon.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
25-03-2011, 01:38 PM

Read books such as Misquoting Jesus or Jesus Interupted by Bart Ehrman because they are more interesting than actually reading the Bible, but just about as informative. Plus they will give some real solid background to help you get through the Bible whence you do read it.
25-03-2011, 02:43 PM
If you want to read the Bible without reading the Bible, try "Complete Idiot's Guide to the Bible." The big orange book series that explains things in an unbiased and humorous manner.

In basic training, the only books they let you read are field manuals and the Bible (hooray for fear of religious tolerance). And since the Bible is like a Dungeons and Dragons novel, I probably read through it about 5 times while I was there. You gotta wonder who was the first person to read that book of fairy tales and go "This all looks true to me! I'll start telling other people about it!" ...probably the authors.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
25-03-2011, 03:03 PM
I tried reading it, but after the first few books I got tired of it. The laws from the books of Moses were enough to convince me of God's immorality.

Since you probably already know of the laws of the old testament, I'd start with the new testament, because many christians say that Jesus turned over the laws of the old testament, which is not the case. It was Paul who did it, not Jesse. Jesse didn't come here to change the law, he came here to get his followers to heaven and everyone else to hell. They might also argue that Jesus is the guy with the ultimate perfect morality, but if you read the gospels, you'll see that he's not that perfect.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
25-03-2011, 03:17 PM

I think approaching the read like one would a fictional novel,may help to get through all 66 books. There are so many different versions now that one could find a textual language that is in keeping to their interest, if they were so inclined. (The Versions)
25-03-2011, 03:52 PM

I've already read the whole thing while as I was growing up. I've also been meaning to read it again, but been quite busy with school. I'm planning on reading at least the New Testament this summer.

My family always tells me to read the Bible and pray whenever we get in a debate about God. I want to read it so I can tell them that I have read it recently, and I'm still not convinced.
25-03-2011, 04:03 PM
(25-03-2011 11:49 AM)tmcasper Wrote:  My question is...who else here has done this and how the hell did you get through it??? I am having a hard time getting through genesis without getting bored and feeling like I should be reading something more productive.

I know how you feel. Because I was raised RLDS, I made an attempt to get back into it by reading the Book of Mormon and Doctrine & Covenants. I also read the Bible, and now I'm working my way through the Qur'an (I'm curious if it's as full of evil as christians say). Each book (except D&C) took me about 6-9 months to read because of school/college and how boring they can get. Plus, it gives you an advantage when debating because it earns you a hint of respect from the audience as apposed to only having read the bad parts.

To counteract the boredom of reading them I set limits. Set aside a decent chunk of time every few days to read an entire book or so. This helped because I had a goal to get to and it keeps the story flowing and commits it to memory. If I was just reading it for a few minutes to pass the time before something else, I would drop it shortly and forget what I read.

Good luck though, but I think it is a good thing for nonbelievers who live in a very religious area to read.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user