Have you read the bible as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2011, 04:30 PM
RE: Have you read the bible as an atheist?
I normally read on the bus and Milton is christian enough that it aids people in thinking I believe. It's also taking me forever to read paradise lost, because while it's more a continuous story it's still so convoluted. The Illiad references and everything keep me interested but still something about Christian writing just makes me sleepy.

I think I generally answer things well enough because most Christians I meet have read less of the book than me. They trust their pastors to read the book for them.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2011, 04:57 PM
I think I read the first 5 books, genesis through deuteronomy, but I forgot most of it even while reading it.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
25-03-2011, 05:55 PM

The most confusing thing to me about reading the Bible is which version to read. I have had people tell me that I'm reading the wrong version of the Bible.
So I guess this means I have to read all the different versions. Not going to do that.
I am currently trying to read the King James version of 1611 Old and New Testament red letter edition in pdf format that I found on line.
Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2011, 07:05 PM
(25-03-2011 12:06 PM)13mentaculus Wrote:  I don't read fiction (true story).

I pity you.

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.
25-03-2011, 08:45 PM
"The best cure for Christianity is reading the Bible." - Mark Twain.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
31-03-2011, 01:40 AM
I didn't, but I will, sooner or later, and not only Bible, I want to read the Koran also. But my head hurts from even thinking about that...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
31-03-2011, 02:08 AM
(25-03-2011 12:06 PM)13mentaculus Wrote:  I don't read fiction

I usually don't bother reading fiction either. Non-fiction, like science books, is so much more productive.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
31-03-2011, 11:58 AM

I started reading Genesis as part of a mythology class comparing Greek and Hebrew creation myths. Then, a few years later, I read the first few chapters of Genesis again. Interesting both times for the insight into the biblical mindset.

It would make a great soap opera, updated for Southern California. I'm surprised the Six Feet Under writer, Alan Ball, hasn't taken a crack at it. Perfect project for him.
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2011, 01:10 AM
(31-03-2011 11:58 AM)riggbeck Wrote:  It would make a great soap opera, updated for Southern California.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the bible turned out to be a 2,000 year old soap opera that has since been taken out of context.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
01-04-2011, 02:22 AM
I went through Catholic schooling from kindergarten to senior year of high school. Not one semester went by without a theology class.

Yes, I have indeed read the Bible, and I can safely say that Mark Twain was right on the money.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
[+] 1 user Likes Michael's post