Have you read the bible as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
RE: Have you read the bible as an atheist?
I've read generally large portions of the bible. Not cover to cover, but in mass. Not catholic Mass, but in totality.. Smile

To paraphrase Marco Ramius when he turns over the Red October. it's wise to speak the language of your adversary.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2011, 12:14 PM

RE: Have you read the bible as an atheist?
(01-04-2011 01:10 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(31-03-2011 11:58 AM)riggbeck Wrote:  It would make a great soap opera, updated for Southern California.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the bible turned out to be a 2,000 year old soap opera that has since been taken out of context.

Well, the Greeks had a very human pantheon, with a sense of "reality" that was probably quite similar to what some people imbue soap characters with. It begs the question of what sort of theological minefields we're leaving our descendants. If L. Ron Hubbard could build a religion round a crap science fiction novel, who knows what a really enterprising soap could do. After all, they're often written to embody messages that are deemed morally important.

(25-03-2011 02:43 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  In basic training, the only books they let you read are field manuals and the Bible (hooray for fear of religious tolerance).

I'm gobsmacked. Is that even constitutional?
Quote this message in a reply