Have you read the bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2010, 04:49 AM
RE: Have you read the bible?
im doing a ''project'', i dont know what else call it, i started reading th bible from the beginning to the end about 9months ago, but i dont remember why i quitted it.
a few days back i started reading it again, i remembered i had read the two first books of moses, so now i started from the third...
it was so goddamned that i decided to start from the beginning again, make a huge list of questions and finally ask them in some christian forum, and see how they see things.

already in the third bok of moses, god is so percise about how and what animals must be sacrificed to him and for what reasons, and what fats and orgins must be burned as a burn sacrifice.:F and he also tells to stone to death people who do blasphemy and to just kill everyone offending their parents, having gay sex, cheating your wife and lots of more.
i knew bible had some crazy stuff, but this was not what i expected. its startig to seem dawkins was right after all...
Dawkins Wrote:The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2010, 06:09 PM
(08-06-2010 09:57 AM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  Well in my country, we're obligated to read the bible and succeed to move on to the university, but how is it in your country?
Are you obligated to read the bible?
Have you ever read it, just for fun or maybe you've heard about it from your friends and family?

Yes, I've read the bible. So, what is your point, exactly? This is the perfect opening to start an argument so don't be shy. Just start it. (cracking knuckles)

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
16-07-2010, 07:22 AM

i have read a part of it when i was a kid and for a project in college but partly havent read the full . . . !!!
Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2010, 02:05 PM

The bible to me is one of the confusing books I've ever read, and only just recently I learned that it advocates genocide, infanticide, rape, murder, and all that other disgusting shit.

I'm probably going to have to read it eventually so I can win debates frequently.
17-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Do you read the Bible? Well, there's a passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

That's pretty much all I know. But, I have read the Old Testament, although it's been close to 20 years.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
22-07-2010, 09:42 PM

I'm athiest/antithiest but I have tried reading it a few times over the years just out of curiosity but it is very tedious. At least online you can find many different versions and translations which helps. Reads like a stories told around a fire on a cold desert night. I read Genesis, Exodus, and Revelations along with 1 or 2 other books many years ago when I was dating a girl from a religious family. I'm currently reading through the genocidal bloodbath called Joshua.
(17-07-2010 07:58 PM)BnW Wrote:  Do you read the Bible? Well, there's a passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

That's pretty much all I know. But, I have read the Old Testament, although it's been close to 20 years.

LOL ah Pulp Fiction, great movie!
22-07-2010, 10:28 PM

I have read all three of the monotheist bibles (christian, toran, and kuran). The kuran is basically plagarized from the previous two, and is so self contradicorty it is difficult to keep track, but Muslims believe it is the untarnished word of god, even though translations (all by clerics) from Aramaic are unbelievably bad. For instance, in one case, the word for young virgin is mistakenly used where the word raisin was in the original text. Therefore, can you imagine the face of the suicide bombers when they get to heaven and are greeted with a bowl of 72 raisins.

While the Jeudo/Christian bibles are full of contraction, fables, myths, calls for genocide, murder, rape, and the like. They are must reads! To understand the fight we are in you must understand what these people are reading and what they get from it. Also to understand almost all of literature afterward from Joyce, to Tolstoy, to Orwell, to Jefferson and Paine you must have read the christian bible to understand the context of the great secular writers and philosophers. To my point, I would ask the readers to notice that Hitchens, Weinberg, Harris, Dawkins, Dennet, and many others can easily quote from the bible better than the believers.
To me it is like fighting in Vietnam or Iraq or Afganistan without being able to speak the language.
23-07-2010, 12:58 AM

I've read the bible and it seemed very confusing at first, i had to look for translations for what i read because the way they phrase things in the bible made it difficult to understand. Been in a strongly religious family ever since i was born (christian), i was agnostic when i was 13-14. Later on i decided i was atheist, and now I'm the "satanist" in the family. I think if people just know enough about the bible and how its incompatible with science plus all the history behind religion, everyone would either be agnostic or atheist...but people are just not willing to look into it, many christians own a bible but don't read it =(
27-07-2010, 04:18 AM

Yes, I have read the Bible and I just assume that it is a manual for living a better life. And the another thing is that it is also a guide to creating a better society for ourselves and our children. It has changed my life. And I also believe that the author is supposed to be the smartest person in the universe. And I want to say that if we are going to follow what this author says, we have to kill half the people in America.
27-07-2010, 05:49 AM
(27-07-2010 04:18 AM)herrymoris Wrote:  Yes, I have read the Bible and I just assume that it is a manual for living a better life. And the another thing is that it is also a guide to creating a better society for ourselves and our children.

ummm... for serial? you have really read the whole bible and it made sense to you and you even think its a guide to build a better society without just picking the verses you like?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.