Have you read the bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2010, 05:15 PM
RE: Have you read the bible?
(27-07-2010 05:49 AM)Kikko Wrote:  ummm... for serial? you have really read the whole bible and it made sense to you and you even think its a guide to build a better society without just picking the verses you like?

He's a bot. The signature is the giveaway; they have only a few select ones that they use.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2010, 06:30 PM

I read the Old and New Testament of the christian bible (New American Standard) a number of years ago and it was painstakingly difficult to read such tripe. Since then I've gone back to read it for reference several times. I've also purchased the Oxford companion to the bible and several other books pertaining to the history and mythology of the christian bible. Needless to say I am much more knowledgeable about the religion than many people I know who profess to be religious.

The consequence of my religious studies was atheism. Proud, strong Atheism!
Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2010, 02:51 PM

hey, I am new here, so first just want to say hi to everyone, and second yes, i have read most of the bible. i was raised a christian and only recently have become an atheist. anyway, like some here have said, only now do i look back and realize that what I once thought was the perfect word of god is actually no more than a disturbing, and often revolting collection of stories. I remember being terrified of some of them, and just totally confused over a lot more, so i am extremely grateful to the people who helped convince me to leave my religious background.
30-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Several years ago I read the entire New Testament and most of the Old Testament. I was trying so hard to believe as my wife at the time wanted me to. It was so hard and in the end I realized that I had to be who I was and that was when I started to refer to them as Old Piece of Crap and Newer Piece of Crap!
31-07-2010, 08:03 PM

I've read about 60% so far. The bible to me is the most boring thing I could read. I love to read but I find it very hard to read. It's almost like reading the most idiotic fairy tale I could read. It is just a big book full of nonsense that degrades woman and make stupid laws. It really amazes me how anyone can worship something that is full of crazy things.
31-07-2010, 08:29 PM

Though I am not a Christian but I have read the Bible of old testament and new testament version. I came to know that the bible is very interesting and didactic. That can pave our way to the right direction. By knowing the fact many schools have included bible lesson for the students. VBS has also followed up the bible lesson.
01-08-2010, 03:44 AM

Yes, and some in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek actually. I did a degree in Theology (actually Biblical Studies) in 1996 and this was all I needed to drop Christianity! I love the topics and the history and so on but the bible is an odd collection of books without enough historical backing to make it believable.
01-08-2010, 02:09 PM

(22-07-2010 10:28 PM)CarbonUnit1 Wrote:  I have read all three of the monotheist bibles (christian, toran, and kuran). The kuran is basically plagarized from the previous two, and is so self contradicorty it is difficult to keep track, but Muslims believe it is the untarnished word of god, even though translations (all by clerics) from Aramaic are unbelievably bad. For instance, in one case, the word for young virgin is mistakenly used where the word raisin was in the original text. Therefore, can you imagine the face of the suicide bombers when they get to heaven and are greeted with a bowl of 72 raisins.

While the Jeudo/Christian bibles are full of contraction, fables, myths, calls for genocide, murder, rape, and the like. They are must reads! To understand the fight we are in you must understand what these people are reading and what they get from it. Also to understand almost all of literature afterward from Joyce, to Tolstoy, to Orwell, to Jefferson and Paine you must have read the christian bible to understand the context of the great secular writers and philosophers. To my point, I would ask the readers to notice that Hitchens, Weinberg, Harris, Dawkins, Dennet, and many others can easily quote from the bible better than the believers.
To me it is like fighting in Vietnam or Iraq or Afganistan without being able to speak the language.

I was under the impression that the Qu'ran was originally written in Arabic.

Anyway, having become re-interested in this topic over the last couple of years I have bought a copy of the bible and the Qu'ran with the intention of giving them a complete read. I was thinking of doing a critical analysis of them but unless I win the lottery and retire, I'm unlikely to find the time!!
01-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Of course, many Christians are not encouraged to read the bible - indeed Rome positively tried to stop translations out of Latin for quite a while. The result is that many Christians don't really read more than they are told. There again, in many churches there is a policy to read through eh bile in a number of years but I suspect that 'difficult' passages are left out (something I need to check out one day)

Now Muslims are encouraged / taught the whole of the Qur'an but whether it stays with them or is lost over the years is not known. However, I suspect the result for most is that they also forget the text and only hear some sometimes. Muslims have it harder , though as they have to manage Arabic (any many have forgotten it or never learned it) so only know what they are told it means. (This is akin to the time when Christians only heard the bible and service in Latin and made nothing of it either.

I agree with other who reckon reading the whole of the bible ought to convert a person to atheism.