Have you read the quran

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Have you read the quran
I have read about 9 chapters of it. I am excited to read more though, to get more into it. I have read the bible once though. I was lucky to find it in my language and was glad that they translate God into God, and not the arabic word for God which is Allah.

Have you read it?
I know there are hadiths about muhammad's life, which some have recommended me to read if i want to know more about his life origin. And that i can't get it from the quran.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2014, 08:04 AM
RE: Have you read the quran
(18-05-2014 07:35 AM)AnderSox Wrote:  I have read about 9 chapters of it. I am excited to read more though, to get more into it. I have read the bible once though. I was lucky to find it in my language and was glad that they translate God into God, and not the arabic word for God which is Allah.

Have you read it?
I know there are hadiths about muhammad's life, which some have recommended me to read if i want to know more about his life origin. And that i can't get it from the quran.

Yup, I read it a while ago.

It's hard to believe that there is a book more boring than the bible, isn't it?

Often you come across bits that are imitations of the Old Testament but more confusing.

Anyway, good to know that it's OK to beat your wife for disobedience.

They certainly knew how to manage their property back then.

Smile

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
18-05-2014, 08:11 AM
I have.

It reminded me of Mein Kampf.

With the big difference that I broke down in laughter when I reached a passage in the quoran that claims that the earth is flat.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 6 users Like The Germans are coming's post
18-05-2014, 08:25 AM
(18-05-2014 07:35 AM)AnderSox Wrote:  I have read about 9 chapters of it. I am excited to read more though, to get more into it. I have read the bible once though. I was lucky to find it in my language and was glad that they translate God into God, and not the arabic word for God which is Allah.

Have you read it?

I have read a translation of the Quran in English.

Muslims claim that God dictated the Quran directly to Muhammad in Arabic and that Arabic is the only language that does justice to the Quran.
18-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Its interesting that when you read the bible, it is more or less in a chronological order, and is read as the word of god. But the quran is more or less singing(Reciting), but the story origin order is all over the place.

But i don't get that one has to learn arabic to get the whole picture of the quran, when a perfect translation can give you the whole story. Isn't that like saying that i can't understand "Greek Mythology" if i don't understand greek?

Edit: Although i do like languages, i just ain't interested in learning arabic.
18-05-2014, 08:33 AM
(18-05-2014 08:25 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ...
Arabic is the only language that does justice to the Quran.

I'll go with that.

Often on trips to KL, the taxi driver has readings of the Quran playing on the radio.

There is a quality to it that has some beauty.

I think I would get sick of hearing it every day, though.

Yes

18-05-2014, 08:38 AM
(18-05-2014 08:33 AM)AnderSox Wrote:  Its interesting that when you read the bible, it is more or less in a chronological order, and is read as the word of god. But the quran is more or less singing(Reciting), but the story origin order is all over the place.

But i don't understand why one have to understand arabic to get the whole picture of the quran, when a perfect translation can give you the whole story. Isn't that like saying that i can't understand "Greek Mythology" if i don't understand greek?

The problem is that the language in which it was written (on scraps of animal skin IIRC... which explains the lack of a theme) had not been structued /formalised and varied across the region.

This means that a dot or a squiggle over a particular shape (like an accent) or the absence of one, changes the meaning.

The definitive and final word of god is therefore open to interpretation.

So there's that.

Drinking Beverage

18-05-2014, 09:03 AM

Have you read it?

No, I've not read it. With my current "yet to read list", it will be awhile before I get to the quran.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
18-05-2014, 09:21 AM
I read the entire Quran twice; both times as a class read. It's a real mess, all over the place, but not as long as the Old Testament.

It's like all the scary stuff in the Old Testament smashed into one smaller volume, gave me the shivers.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 3 users Like Dee's post
18-05-2014, 10:21 AM
(18-05-2014 08:25 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  

Have you read it?

I have read a translation of the Quran in English.

Muslims claim that God dictated the Quran directly to Muhammad in Arabic and that Arabic is the only language that does justice to the Quran.
Why you aren't a muslim?