Have you suffered from a mental illness? Did it change your life?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
22-02-2011, 12:56 PM
RE: Have you suffered from a mental illness? Did it change your life?
LP, I am truly sorry you had to deal with those experiences. I can't imagine attempting to force a gender on somebody, that seems incredibly cruel and insensitive. I feel for you on the institutionalization. I have dealt with in and out-patient crap like that, and I think the only things I learned were put up a wall, go with the flow (or suffer consequences) and that there are some intensely interesting schizophrenics out there.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2011, 02:48 PM
As you already know I've suffered my own mental hell over the years. They had me on prozacs for about 3 years, I felt worse than before so I stopped taking them. I was diagnosed with aspergers syndrome at age 5 and with dyslexia at 7. I'm an average apsie, I'm skilled in a few specific areas over others, poor social skills (though the people who know me say I'm "amazing" I don't buy it) I've somehow managed to loose my difficulty looking people in the eye, I think it may be because it wasn't some ingrained psychological programing but a part of me I didn't understand.

I've heard some people with aspergers say that they learned they had it later on and that it all made sense and it made them feel like there was actually nothing wrong with them, just that they were affected by something beyond their control. I, on the other hand, feel like a goddamn freak because of it, because of what it does to me, because of what its made me, and most of all for not having any control of it.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
22-02-2011, 03:16 PM
@cfhmagnet Indeed there's no questioning why some crazy people are so beloved in their communities until something bad happens.

@Microscope It's really hard to accept being told that you have a limitation as a child, most people who find out later have been through all the difficulties without having that collar around their neck that says impossible. I'm number dyslexic but I'm fine at math. One school tried to diagnose me with learning problems due to my excessive avoidance of social activities, (no one ever thinks "hey that kid looks depressed") luckily they were convinced to change their tune. I was like that because they made me be a boy.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-02-2011, 05:09 PM
(22-02-2011 02:48 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  I've heard some people with aspergers say that they learned they had it later on and that it all made sense and it made them feel like there was actually nothing wrong with them, just that they were affected by something beyond their control. I, on the other hand, feel like a goddamn freak because of it, because of what it does to me, because of what its made me, and most of all for not having any control of it.

I think you're looking at it wrong.

Asperger's isn't a disease. It isn't something that has made you into what you are, it is who you are. It's part of you. Don't view it as an outside force. It's just a descriptor for certain parts of your personality.

That's why it's called Asperger's syndrome and not Asperger's disease. It isn't an infection, or a virus. It's part of your DNA. You're not a "goddamn freak" any more than someone with glasses is, or someone with mixed ancestry is.

It doesn't do anything to you, because it's all you. It's part of you. It's a descriptor applied to you, no more damning than the descriptor "tall" or "has blue eyes" or "likes cherry popsicles".

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2011, 06:21 PM
and what if I were born without it? there is a boy going to my school who is very much like me, same interests, same strengths, minus the social ineptitude. If you added AS to him you'd have me. and on the note of "a part of you" yes it is a part of me, just the same as the indignant martyr was, should I embrace that as well?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

22-02-2011, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2011 06:46 PM by Lilith Pride.)
In dealing with your own life you have to accept everything that you've done. That doesn't always mean believing it was right. Realize who you are now and prove to yourself why you are where you're at. The worst experiences are just as forming as the best ones. I've been through a lot but I can stand that I've done all those things. Sometimes it's hard to live with, sometimes I freeze up in fear, but every misbelief and learned behaviour is why I am who I am now. You don't have to approve of your childhood to live with it, you just have to accept what it brought you to.

And another important thing while handling childhood issues, children in pain rarely speak up. Yes it seems weird when your parents ignore your suffering, but sometimes it's just not that obvious. I wore my depression and spoke like I wasn't, because stating that things were wrong was too hard for me to do. It's not my mother's fault that she couldn't find out what was wrong with me. Part of being a kid is being unable to handle certain situations, and if you are put in those situations then you handle them the best you can. You're alive and I'm sure you have plenty of merits. Most people who have a tough childhood are pretty strong as they grow older.

When we play the what if game we lose to speculation, because nothing would be the same as it is, and there are plenty of things that happen throughout life that aren't bad. In the idea of if what lead to those didn't happen you ignore the importance of things that did happen because of what did occur.

You'll never change your past, but you have a future.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-02-2011, 07:13 PM
(22-02-2011 06:21 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  and what if I were born without it?

What if you were born with a thirteen-inch dick?

- Terry Pratchett
22-02-2011, 07:16 PM
you are comparing a slightly different physical trait to something that effects my every thought.
I've learned to live with it, there are even some advantages to it. I still dislike it though.

22-02-2011, 07:31 PM
(22-02-2011 07:16 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  you are comparing a slightly different physical trait to something that effects my every thought.

Your body does influence your thoughts.

That said, you missed my point. It's pointless to speculate about what you would be like "minus Asperger's", or "plus thirteen-inch dick". Any person who was born with these qualities is not you.

And you're still looking at it the wrong way. It isn't controlling your thoughts any more than any of your other mental components do. It's a way of describing your thoughts, nothing more. It says "Hey, this guy tends to think in a certain way", not "Hey, this guy would normally think this way, but he's got Asperger's so he's going to think this way".

- Terry Pratchett
22-02-2011, 08:21 PM

LP- you are a very strong person. I agree with your statement about " It's really hard to accept being told that you have a limitation as a child". Even something as little and innocent as being labeled "shy" can have a profound influence on your self esteem and development. My wife complains about being shy, even though she has a job working directly with people. I was shy as a kid and didn't have much confidence to try and be friends with the cool/popular kids (although some may have been jerks, it's hard to tell in retrospect.)

Unbeliever- your advice on how to accept being diagnosed with something is a nice thought, and I totally understand your point, but at the same time it's easy enough to give advice and another to be in the person's shoes. I have no idea how difficult it would be to have Aspergers, so I'd give UTM his dues. I also wonder if I'd be a different person if I had a 13" dick. lol
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Let's talk about mental illnesses. anonymous66 9 157 07-06-2014 02:20 PM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys
  Is the mental health group I am in geting meanywhere kunoxian drive 1 67 08-05-2014 12:19 PM
Last Post: kim
  SLOMO and the meaning of life Full Circle 1 63 02-04-2014 08:27 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  can one simply treat mental ilness and adhd by diet kunoxian drive 12 177 18-03-2014 08:51 AM
Last Post: Im_Ryan
  study comparing mental health cases of believers and non believers Pearl 1 159 20-02-2014 10:37 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  hard time wrapping my head around a mental health doctor that believes in a god Pearl 4 203 19-02-2014 06:51 PM
Last Post: Chas
  New to Atheism after struggling with mental health issues djkamilo 13 464 07-12-2013 05:49 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan