Have you suffered from a mental illness? Did it change your life?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
25-02-2011, 07:27 AM
RE: Have you suffered from a mental illness? Did it change your life?
(24-02-2011 03:42 PM)Sacrieur Wrote:  I don't quite think it is that there is a rise to it, I think that we're simply becoming more aware of it. You know a lot of the time people would just keep quiet about their problems and not tell anyone.

When I was Christian I still had Asperger's and the church said I simply had a discipline problem. It turns out that most churches don't believe most mental illnesses exist. Often touting that it is the work of some devil or that it is a discipline issue. They do seem to be ultra-conservative on the matter (spare the rod and you spoil the child) and still condone corporal punishment despite the mountain of evidence showing that it is detrimental.

Any abuse or other stuff that goes on is kept under wraps and in secret because for some reason that type of thing needs to be dealt with in private, and people are often too embarrassed to come out and say it. My own mother tried to speak out against the church when they told her to hit me harder to cure my Asperger's (she is definitely one of those all love love Christians). Well speaking her message of love got her thrown out of the church and pretty much put on a blacklist (which my church does have, and I'm pretty sure I'm on it for being an atheist xD).

It's all one big ego fest.

This doesn't surprise me.
There was a quote : ""Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. But if they called everything divine which they do not understand, why, there would be no end to divine things."
— Hippocrates

Most religions are at the brink with arguments. The emotional card is the last one they have in the deck. They are playing for all their might and to the detriment of their followers.They take every impulse or random event as a sign and emotions are easy to exploit , especially in large crowds.
If I'm not mistaken Scientology even bans psychology - you'd think those evil therapists might find out they're brainwashed or something ...

Sorry to hear about your mom , did she handle the rejection ? Is she alright ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have you suffered from a mental illness? Did it change your life? - gaglamesh731 - 25-02-2011 07:27 AM