Have you suffered from a mental illness? Did it change your life?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
25-02-2011, 07:27 AM
RE: Have you suffered from a mental illness? Did it change your life?
(24-02-2011 03:42 PM)Sacrieur Wrote:  I don't quite think it is that there is a rise to it, I think that we're simply becoming more aware of it. You know a lot of the time people would just keep quiet about their problems and not tell anyone.

When I was Christian I still had Asperger's and the church said I simply had a discipline problem. It turns out that most churches don't believe most mental illnesses exist. Often touting that it is the work of some devil or that it is a discipline issue. They do seem to be ultra-conservative on the matter (spare the rod and you spoil the child) and still condone corporal punishment despite the mountain of evidence showing that it is detrimental.

Any abuse or other stuff that goes on is kept under wraps and in secret because for some reason that type of thing needs to be dealt with in private, and people are often too embarrassed to come out and say it. My own mother tried to speak out against the church when they told her to hit me harder to cure my Asperger's (she is definitely one of those all love love Christians). Well speaking her message of love got her thrown out of the church and pretty much put on a blacklist (which my church does have, and I'm pretty sure I'm on it for being an atheist xD).

It's all one big ego fest.

This doesn't surprise me.
There was a quote : ""Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. But if they called everything divine which they do not understand, why, there would be no end to divine things."
— Hippocrates

Most religions are at the brink with arguments. The emotional card is the last one they have in the deck. They are playing for all their might and to the detriment of their followers.They take every impulse or random event as a sign and emotions are easy to exploit , especially in large crowds.
If I'm not mistaken Scientology even bans psychology - you'd think those evil therapists might find out they're brainwashed or something ...

Sorry to hear about your mom , did she handle the rejection ? Is she alright ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2011, 10:35 AM

(25-02-2011 07:27 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  This doesn't surprise me.
There was a quote : ""Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. But if they called everything divine which they do not understand, why, there would be no end to divine things."
— Hippocrates

Most religions are at the brink with arguments. The emotional card is the last one they have in the deck. They are playing for all their might and to the detriment of their followers.They take every impulse or random event as a sign and emotions are easy to exploit , especially in large crowds.
If I'm not mistaken Scientology even bans psychology - you'd think those evil therapists might find out they're brainwashed or something ...

Sorry to hear about your mom , did she handle the rejection ? Is she alright ?

Oh yeah she's fine. Left the church, now she has moved to a different state. There were actually a lot of people in the church supporting her, even those with some serious influence, but the opposition had some super influence.
Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Am I the only healthy/undiagnosed here? I do have trouble facing and communicating with people that I haven't known for most of my life though, and I don't remember when I looked someone in the eyes the last time, I always direct my sight at objects, and I'm very asocial unless I'm with my mother and her manfriend, but that's nothing big and will probably go away. And at least my self-esteem is high.

My father had a psychosis a year ago. He probably got it from the mix of the shock of being diagnozed with some bowel disease and taking his tough medication with rum and vodka. He was completely in his own world, took a loan and bought alot of big guns. I'm not sure if it was very wise from me to stay in the same house with a psychotic drunken man with a shitload of guns, it really sucked ass, I should have at least reported it to some authorities. I wish I will never go insane, losing my grip to reality would be a nightmare and very embaressing when I'd be back to normal again.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
28-02-2011, 02:09 PM
(26-02-2011 02:14 PM)Kikko Wrote:  Am I the only healthy/undiagnosed here?

Healthy? No. Undiagnosed? Looks like it. Tongue

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2011, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2011 03:03 PM by sy2502.)
(24-02-2011 10:37 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Is it me , or is there a pattern to most skeptics and non-believers here ?
Most of us seem to have had depression , anxiety or some other form of mental encumbrance at some point .
I wonder why theists don't have this ? Maybe faith is a permanent placebo effect ?

Just curious what you guys/gals might think.

I disagree that believers don't have mental illness. If anything, I'd say the most fundamentalist forms of religion appeal to very mentally unhealthy people, and that some forms of religion give validation or excuses to mental illness. For example, abusive people are told that physically abusing their children is a form of discipline endorsed by god, or that abusing your wife is in line with the man having command over the woman. People with social anxieties simply withdraw even more with the excuse of spending more time praying, or keeping away from sinners. People with delusions are told they are hearing actual supernatural voices from the spirit world. I know for a fact my mother found a great outlet for her mental illness in her religion.

As for me, I had severe anxiety problems growing up and was prescribed Valium at age 12, attempted suicide at age 13, then went through a few years of cyclothymia (a mild form of bipolar disorder with short cycles) which was probably the least troubling problem I had (the manic phases are wonderful!), then had a breakdown in which my cyclothymia got stuck into the depression phase, and I have been on antidepressants ever since.

Of course it has affected my life. I don't know about "changed" because I don't think I know what normal mental health feels like. There are things I imagine are harder for me than for a healthy person.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I think I'm having a nervous breakdown right now, hope that counts for this topic. My shift was over 5 hours ago, but I'm still working... And one computer has just finished my nerves. So see ya, I'm going on the other side.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-05-2011, 11:32 PM
I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. Shortly afterwards, I was also diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. This is a particularly unfortunate diagnosis due to the misinformation about the condition held by a great many people.

Both of these things are a constant struggle for me, but I do my best. I am quick to anger and slow to...un-anger.

It has, however, given me a unique perspective on the world.

I go back and forth on whether or not I think religious people are mentally ill. Most times I realize that they are just people looking for answers, like everyone. They just happen to have picked the answers that don't require much thought.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
11-05-2011, 06:16 AM

I was never diagnosed with anything in my life; but this is most likely due to the fact that I never had the conviction to find an artificial solution to my problems.

At age 13, I developed a borderline personality disorder that by the end of my adolescence had provided me with my very first psychotic attack. I did -NOT- look to the sky begging for help.

Nearing the end of my adolescence I fell into a major depression that lasted for a little less than 3 years. Not once, have I gazed my eyes to the sky for answers.

Later on, my depression wore off by transmuting into a bipolar disorder that at some times qualified for axis I and for other times for axis II. Once more, the answers did not lie in the clouds but rather within me.

Finally, that disorder withered into a cyclothymic disorder. Reds and blues in rapid succession. This time, I chose to gaze up and look at the stars. I heard the voice of Carl Sagan speaking about the Cosmos and that was it. Disorders no more.

The moment my existential fears succumbed to the magnificence of the vastness of the universe, my insignificance became significance. The realization that although I'm nothing but a tiny particle among the universe made me happy. I was a part of something as old as time itself, something life-giving, something chaotic yet perfect. I was a part of something that made sense.

I had never ever believed in the image of a celestial masturbator but not believing in something specific did not mean that I believed in something else either. Carl Sagan helped me find my beliefs. A cognitive-belief system that supports my emotional and psychological well-being. A belief in reason, science, facts and the future; whether grim or fortunate.

Smile
(24-02-2011 10:37 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Is it me , or is there a pattern to most skeptics and non-believers here ?
Most of us seem to have had depression , anxiety or some other form of mental encumbrance at some point .
I wonder why theists don't have this ? Maybe faith is a permanent placebo effect ?

Just curious what you guys/gals might think.

I had a similar theory and it's amusing to some extent.

I'd like to start by firstly stating that believers do in fact have a very specific symptomatology. Believing in something that you cannot prove, perceiving things that are not there to perceive in the first place etc., etc. are amusingly indicators of psychoticism, aka schizophrenia! Big Grin However, since religious psychoticism is below the radar, no one says a word. They just nod and go along.

I distinctly remember reading a case study about a woman who developed schizophrenia by believing that she was impregnated by god and that she was to bring Jesus v.2.0.0.1beta to earth. Luckily, she was "cured" when she realized that what she was claiming was insane and sought psychiatric help. Her amazing(?) psychiatric helped her realize that god had not in fact impregnated her cause he had >>>used a condom<<<... And everyone lived happily ever after... >_>

As for the non-believers, the symptomatology is a bit more complex. Most of us suffer from disorders that are triggered through stress (mood disorders, anxiety disorders, personality disorders). I believe that this is due to the fact that we do not tend to diminish stressful events by assigning them celestial/environmental properties. Let's admit, it's far easier to feel better when you say that it was God's wish than to say that you screwed up... @_@
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm currently suffering from borderline personality disorder. I'm seeing a psychiatrist and trying out different medication that will keep it calm/help me feel somewhat normal.

03-11-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm at least 5 different kinds of fucked-up. No, it didn't change my life; it's been my life. I know nothing else.

The only thing that ever "changed" anything was the medication which, after realizing it made me feel worse than I did before, I stopped taking in my teens. Since then, I've learned to live with and even embrace my quirks. I do quite well.

Plus I drink a lot. But that's kind of a hit-and-miss treatment. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!