Haven't told my family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2014 01:02 AM by cre8ivmind.)
Haven't told my family
Apologies if I've already posted this...

I enjoy listening to TheThinkingAtheist and other freethinking podcasts when they're on Youtube. I stopped believing several years ago, and my family still doesn't know. They are hard core fundamentalist Christians. I especially can't tell my mom, who reads the Bible every day and goes to church at least 3 times a week. I live in Texas and I my parents and older sister live in Florida. My older sister is homeschooling her kids. I also have a believing brother and a non-believing younger sister here in Texas. Another brother lives in West Virginia and another lives in China doing teaching work.

I actually obtained a Zoology degree and learned about evolution, but still was a Christian. My doubts started after reading the Bible, not after learning about philosophy and science. The barbaric and primitive stories in the Old Testament seemed contrary to the notion that it was written by a perfect creator; the same creator of the universe. The passage in Numbers chapter 31 did it to me most; since the Hebrew God apparently ordered Moses to commit genocide and keep virgin girls to himself. I decided to become a deist; holding on a God belief since I'm fascinated by nature's complexity. I thought that Nature itself could be thought of as a holy book from the deistic God, and he/she intends on communicating with us and perhaps other creatures through Nature. So I did a lot of research on the Internet about deism, and also about the Bible and how it was written. I was also fervently watching Youtube videos on the subject, mostly made by atheists. Then it hit me. Perhaps not only was the Bible wrong, but there may not be a God either. When 9/11 happened, it was major terrible news and a lot of people were watching the news for months afterward to find out what's going on. Similarly, I have been watching Youtube videos by not only atheists but Christian apologetics to find out if this major terrible news that there might not be a God. I have found the atheist arguments to be very compelling and the theistic positions to be disappointingly weak. This is not because I'm wanting to be an atheist; but rather because I want to know the truth. This story might be somewhat familiar, but I think I may have a unique twist to mine. I have Asperger's, which is a form of autism. Part of my struggles with Asperger's is that we tend to be very visually oriented and obsessed with physical things. I think there is a passage in the New Testament that says that the "natural man" cannot achieve anything spiritual. When I believed in God, I knew he was spiritual but that it was beyond my comprehension. Why then, would God deliberately create me to only perceive the natural? Why does he only "reveal" himself to some people and not others? It just doesn't make sense if he is a loving, caring God. I am not afraid to admit this now, but I am an atheist (however I prefer the term freethinker).

I find it ironic that the religion that says man is the center of the universe is the same one that says arrogance is a sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cre8ivmind's post
31-10-2014, 02:36 AM
RE: Haven't told my family
FYI, you're not the only Aspie here.

There are also quite a few parents of autistic kids here also.

So, for many reasons, you're not alone on TTA.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-10-2014, 06:18 AM
That was well said. Thumbsup Thank you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2014, 06:38 AM
welcome to TTA.

I think you will find you have much in common with many members here.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller