Having A Panic Attack Right Now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Having A Panic Attack Right Now
I Know this might seem stupid and maybe even insulting to people on here with worse problems, but I'm absolutely freaking out right now and I really need to talk to someone and get this off my chest, and maybe find a way to refute it. I Just read this article; http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1049286. Getting terrified of stupid things has been an issue in my life for years, but this is the worst. I'm really scared, I don't want to go to sleep and I really would like to have someone try and help me get over this.

I Will have My revenge on AlternateHistory.com, in this life or the next Evil_monster

~WrappedInShadows (AKA Me)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 10:41 PM
RE: Having A Panic Attack Right Now
Seriously? You'll be mostly dead, not all deadTongue
You still breath when your sleeping, you know that right?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
03-11-2013, 10:54 PM
(03-11-2013 10:21 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  I Know this might seem stupid and maybe even insulting to people on here with worse problems, but I'm absolutely freaking out right now and I really need to talk to someone and get this off my chest, and maybe find a way to refute it. I Just read this article; http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1049286. Getting terrified of stupid things has been an issue in my life for years, but this is the worst. I'm really scared, I don't want to go to sleep and I really would like to have someone try and help me get over this.

I also deal with a lot of irrational fears (I am afraid of the dark, cats, clowns, and all kinds of other silly things), so don't feel bad.
All I can say is, after reading the article I felt like the author completely failed to prove his point. He succeeded in comparing sleeping to being unconscious, and that is all. Sleeping is a lot like being unconscious, but it is not the same. If you disturb a sleeping person they will wake up. Try shaking someone in a coma it doesn't work.

On a side note I read an article the other day about why we sleep. The scientist inform us that what they have discovered for certain, so far, is that we sleep because we get sleepy. Now aren't you glad we had some really smart scientists to figure that out for us? Haha

Oh, another tip. When I feel anxious or I can't sleep, I lie in bed and read or play a game on my tablet until I just fall asleep without realizing it. So much easier than counting sheep.
Good luck Smile
03-11-2013, 10:57 PM
(03-11-2013 10:41 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Seriously? You'll be mostly dead, not all deadTongue

But his point is that the thread of consciousness that existed before you fell asleep has now been severed, even though biologically you are still alive, your consciousness has ceased to exist.

I Will have My revenge on AlternateHistory.com, in this life or the next Evil_monster

~WrappedInShadows (AKA Me)
03-11-2013, 10:57 PM
(03-11-2013 10:54 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 10:21 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  I Know this might seem stupid and maybe even insulting to people on here with worse problems, but I'm absolutely freaking out right now and I really need to talk to someone and get this off my chest, and maybe find a way to refute it. I Just read this article; http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1049286. Getting terrified of stupid things has been an issue in my life for years, but this is the worst. I'm really scared, I don't want to go to sleep and I really would like to have someone try and help me get over this.

I also deal with a lot of irrational fears (I am afraid of the dark, cats, clowns, and all kinds of other silly things), so don't feel bad.
All I can say is, after reading the article I felt like the author completely failed to prove his point. He succeeded in comparing sleeping to being unconscious, and that is all. Sleeping is a lot like being unconscious, but it is not the same. If you disturb a sleeping person they will wake up. Try shaking someone in a coma it doesn't work.

On a side note I read an article the other day about why we sleep. The scientist inform us that what they have discovered for certain, so far, is that we sleep because we get sleepy. Now aren't you glad we had some really smart scientists to figure that out for us? Haha

Oh, another tip. When I feel anxious or I can't sleep, I lie in bed and read or play a game on my tablet until I just fall asleep without realizing it. So much easier than counting sheep.
Good luck Smile

Reading sure helps
oh and here we go. Maybe you missed this enemy
"As a biologist who teaches neuroscience (note: I am not a formally-trained neuroscientist)" This seems more like an observation of his own.

03-11-2013, 11:01 PM
(03-11-2013 10:57 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 10:41 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Seriously? You'll be mostly dead, not all deadTongue

But his point is that the thread of consciousness that existed before you fell asleep has now been severed, even though biologically you are still alive, your consciousness has ceased to exist.

It sounds more like his own observation, he even says that it was his proposition.
Even if we do get a new consciousness every night, so what? You still remember what happened the night before or years ago, what exactly changed? What exactly is consciousness anyway? Aren't they still trying to figure out all the facets of it?

03-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Look at this guys bio, he's a total noob when it comes to the brain http://ireport.cnn.com/people/schreejf

03-11-2013, 11:08 PM
I am not an expert on sleep patterns, but as far as I know even in non-rem sleep your conscious part of your brain still has brain waves they are just much slower than when you're awake or dreaming. I don't think they completely stop though.
03-11-2013, 11:13 PM
(03-11-2013 10:57 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 10:54 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I also deal with a lot of irrational fears (I am afraid of the dark, cats, clowns, and all kinds of other silly things), so don't feel bad.

Good luck Smile

Reading sure helps
oh and here we go. Maybe you missed this enemy
"As a biologist who teaches neuroscience (note: I am not a formally-trained neuroscientist)" This seems more like an observation of his own.

You're right on, GS Thumbsup
Sounds like an uninformed wannabe to me.
03-11-2013, 11:13 PM
This kind of thing is simple, love, just do some more research on sleep patterns and what happens when you sleep. Find information from credible neuroscientists and neurobiologists. Once you understand it better you should feel better about it.