Having Family Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Having Family Issues
So, I don't know how many people will respond to this since I'm not sure how many teens are on this forum, but anyway, I am 18 and I've been having some problems lately. I am a fairly new atheist, but it took me a long time to finally call myself one. In fact I went to a big Christian concert and outreach only a few months ago, but even then I was doubting my beliefs. My family is still Christian and I've been getting into lots of arguments with my mom and it's been making my brother avoid me. My dad is not in my life anymore but he was the main reason I was raised Christian. His own mother was catholic and his dad was a pastor. He had really strict ideals and constantly told me I was going to Hell. Once my parents got divorced, the religious part of our lives was more relaxed and that eventually led me to finding things that interested me. I became a musician and I started watching videos about science whenever I could. Pretty soon I learned that my beliefs were constricting and I finally broke free of them. Now I have this need to share what I know and talk about the new connections I'm making when I study the bible or anything relating to Christianity. This makes my mom very frustrated and now we aren't even speaking anymore. I bought a book called 101 Myths of the Bible, and brought it home. I didn't want to show my family but my brother wanted to know what it was. I showed him and he stormed off and slammed the door. Then my mom yelled at me for a few minutes and I said I wouldn't talk to her about anything from then on. I don't want to be ignored and I don't want them to ignore me. I just want to share my knowledge and have some confirmation now and then. I can't leave my family because I don't have a place to go and I don't have my driver's license. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2014, 07:17 PM
RE: Having Family Issues
(30-06-2014 11:43 AM)Cyvas Wrote:  So, I don't know how many people will respond to this since I'm not sure how many teens are on this forum, but anyway, I am 18 and I've been having some problems lately. I am a fairly new atheist, but it took me a long time to finally call myself one. In fact I went to a big Christian concert and outreach only a few months ago, but even then I was doubting my beliefs. My family is still Christian and I've been getting into lots of arguments with my mom and it's been making my brother avoid me. My dad is not in my life anymore but he was the main reason I was raised Christian. His own mother was catholic and his dad was a pastor. He had really strict ideals and constantly told me I was going to Hell. Once my parents got divorced, the religious part of our lives was more relaxed and that eventually led me to finding things that interested me. I became a musician and I started watching videos about science whenever I could. Pretty soon I learned that my beliefs were constricting and I finally broke free of them. Now I have this need to share what I know and talk about the new connections I'm making when I study the bible or anything relating to Christianity. This makes my mom very frustrated and now we aren't even speaking anymore. I bought a book called 101 Myths of the Bible, and brought it home. I didn't want to show my family but my brother wanted to know what it was. I showed him and he stormed off and slammed the door. Then my mom yelled at me for a few minutes and I said I wouldn't talk to her about anything from then on. I don't want to be ignored and I don't want them to ignore me. I just want to share my knowledge and have some confirmation now and then. I can't leave my family because I don't have a place to go and I don't have my driver's license. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Pretty sure 99% of everyone here has been a teenager, so no worries.
Welcome to one of the most reviled demographics in the world. Wink. We are an elite group.Evil_monster

Remember that if your family is avoiding you, it is THEIR choice. Meaning that you are what you are and if they can't get passed that, it is not your problem, it is theirs.

Feel free to ask anything you want. I think most atheists become atheists because they ask questions and most importantly care about the truth of the answers.
There are lots of links to can help with any of the easier questions but if you are lazy like me, just ask.

Coming out is hard. I was in my 40s and I wasn't from a devout family at all.
So kudos!

Bowing
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
01-07-2014, 01:20 AM
Thank you. I guess I just feel guilty for bringing up questions all the time that will eventually lead to arguments and anger. It's like I don't know how to talk about anything else sometimes. Religious people have churches and atheists seem to be all alone most of the time.
01-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Honestly, i think you should keep the talks about religion to a minimum. Just ask your mom and brother to listen, say that when it gets heated you can just walk away so they better not be yelling. Then say stuff like "i won't push my atheism in your face if you don't try to convert me back", "i won't discus religion if you don't", "i respect you just as you are, and i don't care what you believe. I will always love you. I'll ask you to do the same"

oh, and this would be better of in the personal issues and support board, because you're missing out on advice the non-teens can give .

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
01-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Ok, I'll post it there too.