Having Family Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Having Family Issues
I am 18 and I've been having some problems lately. I am a fairly new atheist, but it took me a long time to finally call myself one. In fact I went to a big Christian concert and outreach only a few months ago, but even then I was doubting my beliefs. My family is still Christian and I've been getting into lots of arguments with my mom and it's been making my brother avoid me. My dad is not in my life anymore but he was the main reason I was raised Christian. His own mother was catholic and his dad was a pastor. He had really strict ideals and constantly told me I was going to Hell. Once my parents got divorced, the religious part of our lives was more relaxed and that eventually led me to finding things that interested me. I became a musician and I started watching videos about science whenever I could. Pretty soon I learned that my beliefs were constricting and I finally broke free of them. Now I have this need to share what I know and talk about the new connections I'm making when I study the bible or anything relating to Christianity. This makes my mom very frustrated and now we aren't even speaking anymore. I bought a book called 101 Myths of the Bible, and brought it home. I didn't want to show my family but my brother wanted to know what it was. I showed him and he stormed off and slammed the door. Then my mom yelled at me for a few minutes and I said I wouldn't talk to her about anything from then on. I don't want to be ignored and I don't want them to ignore me. I just want to share my knowledge and have some confirmation now and then. I can't leave my family because I don't have a place to go and I don't have my driver's license. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 03:23 PM
RE: Having Family Issues
Tread lightly when discussing faith issues with family. If possible make it clear that you're all about respecting their beliefs, and would like the same courtesy extended to yourself.

Personally I keep my atheism discussions confined to here. No religious discussion with family ever. I just find it makes my life easier.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Id start working on an exit plan to be honest.
01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Quote:If possible make it clear that you're all about respecting their beliefs, and would like the same courtesy extended to yourself.

Somewhat impractical when you've just told them that you have rejected those beliefs. Even xtians can add 1+1.... although 1+1+1 = 1 seems to confuse them.

The cat is out of the bag. Your only ally now is time. Be pleasant and make them come to you.

If they don't you know where you stand.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
01-07-2014, 03:59 PM
I meant to say... I dunno... that whole respecting their right to a belief palaver - of course if one thinks the belief is wrong then one implicitly disrespects it.

Bloody people and religion. Wouldn't be an issue if they could get over the idea of someone disagreeing with them Dodgy

But religion is all this stupid fuss about hypothetical invisible dudes. IMO it's not worth letting something dumb like that get in the way of hanging out with family - unless you're unlucky and your family are horrible in which case fuck 'em.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-07-2014, 04:00 PM
The problem with realizing we are atheist is we want to tell people and many of us are guilty of that. What you will learn in time is that a quiet acceptance within yourself is the best way to deal with it. Let the others have their beliefs and don't allow yourself to be drawn in to topics regarding religion- "I don't discuss politics or religion" is a good way to buffer it.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post