Having a coach in LoL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Having a coach in LoL
So I started playing League of Legends back in Season 2 so I have been playing for quite a while.
During Season 4 I finally decided that I wanted to climb the rank ladder.
I think by the end of Season 4 I was in Bronze 2 or something like that.
Then in Season 5 I kinda wanted to keep climbing so I played my placement matches and then stopped because I am really bad at dealing with ragers and flamers. I just cannot deal with it. I don't flame back or anything but I just ... dunno my mind would just go in this state where all that counts was the team's rage.
Because of this block I stopped. I had, what they call, ranked anxiety. And I wouldn't touch a ranked game unless a friend would play duo queue with me. When that happened I usually did fine and was able to perform, simply because I had someone on Teamspeak to talk to and that would draw my focus away from flamers and ragers.
Around that time I first heard that not only the pro team would have coaches but that there were actual coaches out there for the every day league player. So I started looking if I might want a coach.

I talked about it to my league buddies from my clan and so on. They liked the idea of coaching but disliked the idea of paying for coaching because in their minds, no matter what it is in this game, you can learn it without a coach.
The problem for me was that most of my gaming buddies at the time were teenagers who just had finished schools or people who were at colledge or university, and would just take the time to play a lot. So they usually had hours and hours of gaming time to put in. Me on the other hand, I was working, I had other stuff to do after work, so I didn't have more time than a match or two. If I wanted to warm up first (just play one normal before to get back into the game after working etc), that would always mean to play one normal, one ranked, and leave the game. That was not a way to improve really.
About 2 months ago (ish) I watched a video of a youtuber who, at the time, was as bad at the game as I am currently, and he had a video up of him receiving a coaching.
And immediately I thought to myself "no matter if this guy wants money or not, I must have this coach!"
I followed the link in the video discription and yes he wanted money but I really had to have this guy as my coach!
Why?
He had a very friendly, respectful, and calm manner. He seemed highly knowledgable about all aspects of the game, and he had a very good way of explaining things during a game etc.
So I booked a one hour session with him.
And I am not sorry about it I have to say.
I had that session a month ago.
Since then I have played almost exclusively ranked and I have climbed two divisions. I am so close to silver now.
So I have just booked a longer session for this coming weekend, so we have more time to talk about some thing in depth.

Well I told a buddy of mine that I have this coach now and he is good and told him one of the things the coach explained to me.
And my buddy (who is the same rank in the game as I am) is like "I could have told you those things too"

I don't know what you guys think but honestly, I think it is not just the words that come out of somebody.
I think a certain setting and demeanor is part of it too. Many people provide coaching but they don't know how to coach. This specific one, that I found, knows what to ask and what to look at in order to know where to pick me up and start his coaching.
Like I can teach myself to play basketball too. It may take longer because I have to read books and guides and watch gameplay and find out what training is the most useful etc. But a trainer knows all that already and he will look at what I do and tell me exactly what I have to improve or work on.
I think it is the same for League of Legends. There is so much deep knowledge that, if I had the time, I would probably know by now and would have more practice, but not having all the time that a teenager has, but still loving the game and wanting to improve, I really think a coach is a good idea.

Is it really so odd to pay for a coach who provides me with a great service? Especially nowadays, as Esports is being recognized more and more as a sport (kinda like chess is a sport I would guess).
Of course I am willing to pay for a good service, especially knowing that I see the results so fast.

Opinions?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 04:10 PM
RE: Having a coach in LoL
get a life

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
10-08-2016, 04:33 PM
(10-08-2016 04:10 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  get a life
Telling that everybody who talks about their hobby?

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 4 users Like Leerob's post
11-08-2016, 05:06 AM
(10-08-2016 04:33 PM)Leela Wrote:  
Telling that everybody who talks about their hobby?

sorry

11-08-2016, 02:58 PM

Well, you're a stupid fucking cunt aren't ya?

@Leela. I didn't even know coaching was a thing. I don't see the problem with it. Its your money, its your hobby and you wanna get better and it's one way to do it.
Someone else helping is a far better way than self improvement because they're not bias and see all your faults.

Regarding rage, just ignore it. Like it's just chat, who cares.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
13-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Had a coaching session today and am still very impressed with this coach. The calm approach is so good for me and also his voice is very pleasant.

- Wotsefack?! -
13-08-2016, 09:19 PM
I think about all the things I have figured out "hard way jones" ( old guy reference, Leela Smile ), it makes sense to get help doing what you want to do. I bet he told you things in the first few minutes that had you silently saying DOH!
14-08-2016, 05:26 AM
(11-08-2016 02:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  

Well, you're a stupid fucking cunt aren't ya?

@Leela. I didn't even know coaching was a thing. I don't see the problem with it. Its your money, its your hobby and you wanna get better and it's one way to do it.
Someone else helping is a far better way than self improvement because they're not bias and see all your faults.

Regarding rage, just ignore it. Like it's just chat, who cares.

Nonce

14-08-2016, 10:57 AM
(13-08-2016 09:19 PM)skyking Wrote:  I think about all the things I have figured out "hard way jones" ( old guy reference, Leela Smile ), it makes sense to get help doing what you want to do. I bet he told you things in the first few minutes that had you silently saying DOH!

Oh yes haha. There were several eye openers. Some stuff where I finally understood why I am doing bad in certain situations, but also some basic stuff that I know theoretically but have no idea how to put in practice.
The biggest thing for me though was to realize, that many thing I do ingame, are because I question myself or underestimate myself. Got learn to listen to my gut-feeling more and I shall be fine Smile

- Wotsefack?! -
24-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Dammit...
So I am following what my coach told me and I am following it down to the letter.
After having a big ass losing streak for a week and getting demoted, I started winning all matches.
So today I got back into series and of course exactly now I lose a match... dafuq?

- Wotsefack?! -