Having a coach in LoL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2016, 03:25 PM
RE: Having a coach in LoL
(01-10-2016 01:47 PM)Leela Wrote:  I will add you back next time I get on the NA server

Ok! Sounds good!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2016, 06:39 PM
I really enjoyed reading this thread and I'm glad your progress is coming along nicely! Get on your NA account more often and play with me dammit!!! But hey I figured I'd share my little journey of becoming a better player as well, and what I think helped me improve.

I never had an actual coach, but I've always kind of had my hand held by my higher elo friends. Like when I first started league, if I were thrown to the wolves to learn all of the mechanics and rules and terms by myself, it probably would've taken me a long time to become even remotely decent at the game. A friend of mine who was Gold last season (high Plat now) held my hand through the basics, and in about a year of playing I managed to become somewhat better than Garbage V. Getting better at competitive games is a lot easier when you have someone with a really good understanding of the game to help you along the way.

I didn't even touch ranked until this season. My placements landed me in bronze III. I, at the time, had really shitty map awareness and hadn't yet found my "soulmate" champion/role. I duo-queued with some bronze friends until I sank to bronze V.

I think my biggest issue, especially earlier this year (I've only been playing since August of 2015) was actually being aggressive. I was far too safe of a player, and my team would really suffer for it. So I made it my priority that if I wanted to get better at the game, I needed to become more confident and aggressive, and to become more confident I needed a better understanding of the game.

I started watching a variety of league content creators and pros, making mental notes of the meta and how it's different in higher elo than it is in lower elo, different champion picks, champion counters and win rates, team fight advantages and disadvantages. I started paying closer attention to builds, items, and when certain items are most effective (frozen mallet for sticky duels, lich bane to melt towers, iceborn gauntlet cause that slow AND damage tho????like???my nigga??)

When I started paying attention to all of these things, I think it really helped me become a much better player. I started to solo queue my way out of bronze, playing Lux mid and Fiora top. Once I entered Silver, the meta both in ranked and outside of ranked slightly changed, so I started to expand my picks, playing more Wukong/Jax for fun duels and annoying split push, Gnar for super painful tank and crazy teamfight twists, Ezreal and Quinn became my go-to mobile ad carries, Kat/Diana/Ori for my main midlaners, Poppy/Ekko/Shyv jungle and the oh-so annoying Zyra/Ziggs support.

Once I started playing more than a handful a champions, I also started having a lot more fun. Every game is different, whether it's a win or loss. I really enjoy all of the possibilities this game has to offer. One year in and I'm still having just as much fun! In ranked, I play to win, but outside of ranked, I play to learn, and the huge amount of possible builds and play styles per champion definitely prolongs the learning experience.

My goal was to hit gold my first full season of playing league and whaddya know!!!

[Image: gold_zpsjkeidcwy.jpg]
01-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Ok it was in aram but I just got my first penta!!!!!!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
02-10-2016, 04:04 PM
So today, I think I finally broke my losing streak. I don't wanna jinx it (the puns hurt my brain) but I think I found what the reason was for my losing streak.
So basically, since I started going ranked A LOT this season, I always did some kind of warm up before playing. As I don't have too much time on week days, I would do a, let's call it power-warm-up.
So either I'd play 10 minutes of osu! on a higher difficulty than what I usually choose. Or I would go 1v5 on a bot game and try to win withing 20 minutes.
As long as I was doing that, I had a decent winrate and was slowly climbing.
No clue why I stopped doing that but from the moment I stopped, I started losing EVERY single game.
Today I did my warm up again and won 4/4 games.
I think that I will try some ranked tomorrow and see if my losing spree stopped in ranked as well.

Here are my wins (I know still horrible but at least not defeated and that is a start alright)
[Image: 2zz13m8.png]

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
02-10-2016, 07:45 PM
(02-10-2016 04:04 PM)Leela Wrote:  So today, I think I finally broke my losing streak. I don't wanna jinx it (the puns hurt my brain) but I think I found what the reason was for my losing streak.
So basically, since I started going ranked A LOT this season, I always did some kind of warm up before playing. As I don't have too much time on week days, I would do a, let's call it power-warm-up.
So either I'd play 10 minutes of osu! on a higher difficulty than what I usually choose. Or I would go 1v5 on a bot game and try to win withing 20 minutes.
As long as I was doing that, I had a decent winrate and was slowly climbing.
No clue why I stopped doing that but from the moment I stopped, I started losing EVERY single game.
Today I did my warm up again and won 4/4 games.
I think that I will try some ranked tomorrow and see if my losing spree stopped in ranked as well.

Here are my wins (I know still horrible but at least not defeated and that is a start alright)
[Image: 2zz13m8.png]

I always had trouble doing as well with sivir as other adc champs. But when I play ranked she's all I use because of spell shield. Your doing good and I like how you warm up. I normally play an aram or two for my warm up but lately.. Idk what it is I have ONLY played aram. Like if I do normals my team is great but when I hit ranked it's crap..

I'm so happy you are finding a way to better yourself! I wish I had the time to do what you do!
03-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Finally played a ranked again and won wohoo.
Shit score at 11/6/11 and 307 CS as well as a messy build but at least I got clarification for a better build from my new coach after the game so I wrote it down and next time will do fine I hope. After all I fucking destroyed the enemy DRAVEN during laning. If I can destroy a Draven, I can leave bronze dammit.

03-10-2016, 04:33 PM
(03-10-2016 04:22 PM)Leela Wrote:  Finally played a ranked again and won wohoo.
Shit score at 11/6/11 and 307 CS as well as a messy build but at least I got clarification for a better build from my new coach after the game so I wrote it down and next time will do fine I hope. After all I fucking destroyed the enemy DRAVEN during laning. If I can destroy a Draven, I can leave bronze dammit.

Who did you beat draven with? and your score is pretty good!!
03-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Jinx. and 6 deaths is making my score very bad. I am not supposed to die that much. one or two time can happen, more is generally not acceptable because of the shutdown gold.

03-10-2016, 05:36 PM
lol you said jinx against draven and that is literally who i was just counter picked by. DRAAAVEN
11-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Yesterday I had a nice long coaching session with my new coach. I like him more because he gets the feel of what a person actually wants/needs and on what level of knowledge or skill they are. He picks you up right there but he is very nice and human while still professional. And all that for less money.
So yesterday, I had a few questions about some ADC items and builds. Just some in-depth question. So we went through numbers and scaling and all that theory. But it did help. I made notes along the way and recorded the whole session to make sure I can watch later if need be.
After the ADC stuff we analized a Graves Top game that I played and was very bad at. He gave me tips on items (again with numbers and such things) and then explained some mechanics that I hadn't known before as well as some tips on positioning and so on. I am not usually playing top, just saying so it was very helpful.
I have just recently decided to make Top my secondary role for ranked games and go back to supporting once I get to gold or higher. It just makes no sense in bronze and silver to me. I need to rely too much on my ADC knowing what they are doing (which they usually don't).
So I have some top champions that I pick situationally but I wanted a pure AD... of-tank kinda thing as well and Graves fits my play style so I decided on him. Very fun to play. (other than Graves, I can go Cho'Gath or Wukong too and deliver a decent game in low elo)

Anyway, after the coaching I went ahead to play a ranked. Won that one immediately.
Today I played again, with two friends, ranked, premade bot with a very good Leona player, me as Jinx > love it!! We won those two ranked matches easy (I climbed back up to Bronze 2, let's hope I keep climbing), then to relax went fro 3v3 TT and won that one playing friggen Teemo. After that one friend left and another joined so we wanted to go for a normal 5v5 match. We won that too.
I really feel how yesterday's coaching made a huge difference. I am more confident, I have my notes so don't have to panic, I make only small mistakes that no one else in bronze really knows how to punish, and the times I died, I immediately knew why and how to avoid it next time.

So yeah, as this coach seems to work well with me, I may take one session per week just to keep on track and always kinda iron out the bits that I get sloppy with etc. It's easier with a coach who sees from the outside. I don't always notice what I am doing wrong on a technical level in the game. He is great at pointing out what the mistake is and how it can be avoided next time.
I actually found that he used to coach one of the top LCS teams and also 2 smaller teams. So this guy really knows his shit. I am so impressed that he even takes the time out of his day to take care of bronze scrub lol. Yea it is his job and all but he could have a different attitude. But no, he is very friendly, very open... I have only good words for that coach.