Having a coach in LoL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2017, 07:22 AM
RE: Having a coach in LoL
(26-07-2017 06:15 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Paying for coaching seems pointless.

As a drummer, paying for a teacher is a necessity to prevent lifelong injuries and bad habits. The harm of training for E-sports isn't as close, other than some strain in the eyes, the occasional hemoriod, and if you don't watch your sugar intake:
[Image: diabeetus.jpg]

The way to git gud at PvP or Co-Op video games is simple. Play. My friend plays ranked DOTA2. He has over 2500 hours in the game. Another friend of mine is aiming for StarCraft 2. He plays 4 hours a day.

Look up the pros giving tips on Youtube. Play maps specific for training. But most important of all; it's better to have an hour of focused training rather than 4 hours of fucking about. If you start getting bored, it's somtimes better to take a break and try again in an hour or so.

I disagree, e-sports is just like anything else.
You need a drummer coach to teach you those things because you don't know you're doing it the wrong way. Likewise, you might not even know you're making bad plays/choices and so will never/very slowly improve. A coach is another set of eyes and someone that knows what they're doing. Just like any other coach.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
26-07-2017, 08:02 AM
(26-07-2017 07:22 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  

As a drummer, paying for a teacher is a necessity to prevent lifelong injuries and bad habits. The harm of training for E-sports isn't as close, other than some strain in the eyes, the occasional hemoriod, and if you don't watch your sugar intake:

The way to git gud at PvP or Co-Op video games is simple. Play. My friend plays ranked DOTA2. He has over 2500 hours in the game. Another friend of mine is aiming for StarCraft 2. He plays 4 hours a day.

Look up the pros giving tips on Youtube. Play maps specific for training. But most important of all; it's better to have an hour of focused training rather than 4 hours of fucking about. If you start getting bored, it's somtimes better to take a break and try again in an hour or so.

I disagree, e-sports is just like anything else.
You need a drummer coach to teach you those things because you don't know you're doing it the wrong way. Likewise, you might not even know you're making bad plays/choices and so will never/very slowly improve. A coach is another set of eyes and someone that knows what they're doing. Just like any other coach.

Fair point. There's only one issue, and that is money. My teacher has an education from rhythmic and percussion school, aswell as pedagogy. Now I'm not saying that an E-sports coach can't be competent, but if I was going to learn how to get good at say CS GO, and a guy said he could train me but at a cost of 50 dollars per hour, I would be distrustful of the man. He's not educated in the art of teaching, whatever it is he's giving away. If somebody set up a so called "E-sports school" where you also learn pedagogy, I could get behind it. But I wouldn't pay somebody a dime unless he or she had some sort of education in the art of teaching and understanding students.

If money is not involved, then it's fair game, although you could always pick up bad habits from other players aswell. It's wise to hear the opinons of several people and judge from there.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
26-07-2017, 08:54 AM

Playtime != skill. You will get experienced with time, but that doesn't mean you're good at a game. A coach can help you with that.

I play Overwatch frequently, and I come across silver players (levels 600+) who plain suck. Maybe it's because they aren't taking it seriously because it's not ranked, maybe they are trying to sink their ranking, maybe they are used to playing with a specific group of people and outside of that they suck, or maybe they just play all the time but still suck at it.

A coach can probably help you figure out what the best times for ults are- how to save the for the right moment, how to expect where a Junkrat or a Widow will be when you come into an area, which hero counters another hero best and which heros your main is weak to. Maybe you get a feel for it naturally, but hopefully a coach has done some research on those subjects.

So- nothing wrong with coaching, imo. Especially if you want to rank up in a game. If that's what helps you enjoy life more, and you can afford it, do it.
31-07-2017, 12:16 AM
I think coaching is extremely helpful, especially in league. Even though the game seems very simple on the surface, underneath there's so much to take into consideration that can impact a game. Items, individual skill, farm, rotations, ganks, roaming, warding, pinging, laning phase, objectives, builds, meta, missing a flash or ignite or summoner spell. I think what makes league addictive are all of the possibilities that ensue with a new match, as well as how random and overwhelming everything can feel. the game is constantly changing, patching, adding new champions and items, changing kits, passives, items, wards, jungle buffs, objective rewards.

if I were introduced to league without anyone to teach me or help me get better I wouldn't have lasted and I wouldn't have stayed with the game, just because I'm impatient and I get discouraged easily. I've never paid for coaching, I had a close friend teach me everything, but I can definitely understand and support the idea of paying for a coaching. video games and esports have become a passion on par with that of musicians and artists. if you need help achieving a certain skill level of whatever it is you want to be good at, I see no problem with that. you wanna play an instrument? learn how to draw? wanna be good at competitive video games but need some help? GET TAUGHT NIBBA

league is such a fun and huge experience and I've taught a lot of my friends how to play. I'm by no means a professional coach or anything but if someone wants to learn, teach em, and if someone wants to go above and beyond to become even better, advice, individual time and investment will earn you progress. practice on your own and with others. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
14-08-2017, 08:21 AM
So... Miss Fortune is like my favorite champ, sooooo good. You can keep your Vayne or Cait or Trist, I'll take MF annny day.
Her Q is stupid good. Stupid, stupid, stupid good. Oh what's that? you're hiding behind your back line of minions safely out of my auto range? BOOM now you're half health.

[Image: oscar.png]
14-08-2017, 10:30 AM
(14-08-2017 08:21 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So... Miss Fortune is like my favorite champ, sooooo good. You can keep your Vayne or Cait or Trist, I'll take MF annny day.
Her Q is stupid good. Stupid, stupid, stupid good. Oh what's that? you're hiding behind your back line of minions safely out of my auto range? BOOM now you're half health.

YES! MF is so busted.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
14-08-2017, 06:20 PM
so i want to say about coaching
I understand that for many people League Of Legends is "just a game" so why bother. But this game has a very active and super competitive exports scene. Not only that, it has tournaments and championships like other sports. Like soccer or chess. Like every thing that has a competitive scene, LoL has coaches, managers, teams, sponsors, big prices, and so on.
Now for professional LoL players, a coach is a must. And there are coaches that don't even play the game. because it is not even that important as long as you understand the principles. (though I would prefer a coach that plays the game).
But not only pros want a coach. If I play soccer or chess and just want to get better, I might join a club or hire my own coach. And I will do the same for LoL or any other competitive game if I want to get better and am happy to pay for an expert. The sites where you can hire these coaches properly, they have rating systems. So for my own example, I have had two coaches. One is a challenger support which is great because I main support and the other is a master support & LCS coach.
For none of the two did I pay 50Euro per hour. For the challenger support I paid 25 euro per hour. I took two lessons and I improved big time for that money. I received very good tips and help and hints which help me to this day. The master support&LCS coach, I paid 20 euro per hour. I took about 4 sessions with him and I got so much background knowledge in addition to the coaching on specific champions and roles as well as him not looking at the time and giving me 90 instead of 60 minutes each time.
So over all I would say that on the topics that have been covered I improved immensly with all the coaching I received. The only reason I am STILL in bronze is that I don't play LoL a whole lot lately. If I were to play it, I would climb that ladder. And I would probably start taking coaching sessions again to improve more.

now @earmuffs: what server are you playing on? Let's hook up some time for a few matches.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -