Having an adverse reaction to life.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2013, 09:10 AM
RE: Having an adverse reaction to life.
Here is what i think contributes most substantially to the depression epidemic (figurative) in present western societies: We put far too great a load on the individual - then walk away and leave him to flounder.
You have to cope. You have to adapt. You have to be responsible. You have to deal with change and adversity. If you are unhappy, cheer up; if you have a problem, solve it.
You - not we.

It's really not enough to change the individual's attitude so that it fits better with society's abuse of him. He can only alter so much, adjust so far - then, if we keep twisting and shoving, he breaks.

So, the options available to an individual:
Pretend, go along, turn yourself into a pretzel and hope like hell we'll make a little room for you in this, our imperfect world.
Give up, stop trying, drift, survive on the margins.
Get mad, fight back, oppose, rant, organize, become an enemy of the system.
Go underground, subvert, spy, sabotage.
Quit; tell them to shove it, go independent.
Find a community of understanding and support. (The best revenge is living.)

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
12-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I appreciate everybodys advice.

Putting all this down into words has made me a little bit angry at myself. Which is good because I havent felt anything like that emotionally wise for a while.

I DO need a change of scene where I live, I would rather do it of my own bidding though and not be forced into a homeless shelter... which I feel will just make matters worse.

I just need to keep my job... which is out of my hands Sad

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
12-02-2013, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 09:18 AM by Anjele.)
I am sorry things are crappy Bemore...job loss really sucks and is scary, went through that about a year ago. It can be hard to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
Others have made some good suggestions, I would just like to add...don't leave here, it's a good place to vent and you would be missed.
And how would I ever get the next installment of your story? (Yeah, I know it's the least of your worries right now.)
Take care of yourself, be good to yourself.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-02-2013, 10:23 AM
(12-02-2013 09:14 AM)bemore Wrote:  I appreciate everybodys advice.

Putting all this down into words has made me a little bit angry at myself. Which is good because I havent felt anything like that emotionally wise for a while.

I DO need a change of scene where I live, I would rather do it of my own bidding though and not be forced into a homeless shelter... which I feel will just make matters worse.

I don't know the system where you live. It stands to reason that while you can pay some for housing, there would be government agencies who help?

Investigate!!! And even if you did a year ago, do it again now. And don't go by what you have heard, go probe for yourself. And keep poking at it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-02-2013, 10:30 AM

I totally understand the feeling down on your luck. I learned a long time ago one of the best survival techniques is looking for the silver lining where you might not think there is any.

Knowing you are probably going to lose your job is a bit of a blessing in disguise. Many people don't get that warning, so take the opprotunity to start the job search now. (Silver lining)

Its good that you're wanting a change! You need to make out a list of what it is you want and go for it. I'd concentrate on making sure you have a secure job first, cause moving costs money (and immigrating is horrifically expensive, so I'm not sure why people are offering up this suggestion right now)

I have seen through my short time here that there are many people on the forum who care about you. I'm sure if you need help with anything you just have to ask. I know I'll certainly do my best from what little I can offer. Smile

The Out Crowd.
12-02-2013, 10:33 AM
(12-02-2013 10:30 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  immigrating is horrifically expensive, so I'm not sure why people are offering up this suggestion right now
It did not cost me a penny, I was helped every step of the way by international agencies.

That was a long time ago and may not be the same today but it might be worth investigating.
12-02-2013, 10:35 AM
(12-02-2013 10:33 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 10:30 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  immigrating is horrifically expensive, so I'm not sure why people are offering up this suggestion right now
It did not cost me a penny, I was helped every step of the way by international agencies.

That was a long time ago and may not be the same today but it might be worth investigating.
Must be nice. I spent around 3000 dollars on my immigration to Australia

The Out Crowd.
12-02-2013, 10:38 AM
(12-02-2013 10:30 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  

I wanted to say also that I know a woman who years ago left her abusive husband and took her two little girls with her to a womans shelter. She now owns a couple companies and has a good life.

It's never too late to turn life around Smile

The Out Crowd.
12-02-2013, 10:40 AM
bemore, you fuckwit!

People who think the way you do are of great value.

If you don't see your own value, trust me that others do.

Stand up and fight, comrade.

Dagnammit.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
12-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks for letting me get my shit out peeps.... has kind of helped put a few things in perspective.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.