Having an adverse reaction to life.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2013, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 12:31 PM by Zat.)
RE: Having an adverse reaction to life.
Chris, here is an idea that you might consider for the long run (after current emergency is over):

Six years ago we were in dire financial state -- lost half of our income and had to scramble for some money in order to stay in our house.

We were too old for looking for jobs, so we decided to try small business.

Between the two of us we had over a thousand books and started selling them on the Internet (Amazon, Alibris, ABE, Biblio and on a website I created for that purpose.)

We also started buying cheap used books (average 50 cents to a dollar a book) at garage sales, thrift stores, library sales, etc.

We now have 10,000 books in stock, and an income of one to two thousand dollars a month.

Not much but we can live on it, with the modest government pension.

The best part of it is that we can work at home, no overhead, no expense (other than shipping) and we have no boss and fear of losing our 'jobs'. We can take care of all the work in 2-3 hours a day on the average. Plus, we LOVE books.

I don't know the situation in England, but this business can be done anywhere and you are selling books to the whole world.

Since we started, we helped 2 other people to set up and get started in the same business.

Might be worth considering -- it worked for us and for the 2 other people we got started.

This was just one example of how you can break out of the rat race and be your own man.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Making your own work is definitely the way to go. Consultant, contractor, freelancer, internet - whatever area you can make your talents pay. But i'm still after finding you a community, because it seems to me your biggest problem, right now, is the feeling of alienation. That can be so debilitating that it saps all the energy out of whatever quest you need to set off on.

Another one, closer to home:
http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk/

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
12-02-2013, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 07:00 PM by Near.)
For what it's worth bemore:

I stand by what I told you over PM a while back. I think you're a cool guy, fun to talk to, fun to joke about with, fun to shoot the shit with. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to help, but I'm here to be and eat, and a shoulder, should you need it.

Now brighten up and go hunt some ghosts for me. Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2013, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 02:51 PM by Luminon.)
Bemore, I have always appreciated your posts and views on things. I think you always somehow agreed with me on things and I appreciate that. You've received some good advice (and offers to help, Zat! Thumbsup ). I just want to say, in order to be happy you sometimes have to go and risk a lot. You might have to move a distance and make many independent steps without guarantees beforehand. The best you might have done would be to have savings and use them. This is what I did, I worked at a shitty job in a place where was no other job, I saved some money and now with parental help I invest them into my education in a far away city. I'm not out of the woods yet, this year is going to be a busy one, but there's a lot of hope.

I think you just have to suppress your emotions to get through the tough times, I know it from my experience. There's a saying, you sometimes have to get a little crazy so you won't go mad. But you need to use this state of things to get you through, not to stay where you are. This "economy" is crushing people and how you feel is completely normal, circumstances considered. Instead of losing hope, you need to defeat the economy, live in spite of it.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
12-02-2013, 04:55 PM
If you can make your way to Oz, Chris, you can come live with me!

If it's any consolation, I think like you some of the time although it's not depression, just a general disdain for what this world and it's people have become.
There's so many psychopaths/fuckwits/narcissists in this world, everywhere you freakin turn - always out for themselves. It gets to you sometimes and the older you get the more debilitating it's effects can be. Sometimes I feel envious of the people who don't know any better and go blissfully about their ignorant everyday lives, not thinking about the repercussions of their actions and never thinking about the philosophic questions of life. And then....I don't! I like who I am, so I say 'Fuck them all'!!!

Life can be such a bitch. For years I had to endure jobs I hated because I had to have an income to pay rent and take care of my young son (being a single parent). But things do change, sometimes for the better and sometimes not.

If even one word of my rant has helped, well then it has been worth the pain others had to endure Big Grin

Take care, bud

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
13-02-2013, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2013 10:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-02-2013 08:19 AM)Zat Wrote:  When I was young I used to think that nothing can justify suicide. If you are at the end of your rope -- find another rope you never tried before: go up north and live with the Inuit in an Igloo, or walk out on all your possessions and try to live on the street among the homeless, or got to Africa and help the really desperate who are dying of aids.

As I said, I used to think like that but now, as I am old, I am not so sure any more.

Kinda the reverse for me old man. When I was a teenager I really got into Nietszche and the existentialists' pathetic absurdity response to his nihilism. There's no fucking point or purpose to my existence so why fucking even bother. But as I've grown older I appreciate Sartre's response more and more: “The absurd man will not commit suicide; he wants to live, without relinquishing any of his certainty, without a future, without hope, without illusions … and without resignation either. He stares at death with passionate attention and this fascination liberates him. He experiences the 'divine irresponsibility' of the condemned man.” That is a brilliantly absurd response to Nietszche's “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”. Shit just fucking motivates Girly to gaze into the abyss for as long as fucking possible. Sartre's right, it is fucking fascinating and liberating and goddam motherfucking absurd. Bring it to the dohyō, Friedrich, Girly'll throw you ass. Tongue

'Course I always keep my nitrogen exit-bag at the ready in the event it's go-time, that just goes without saying. Big Grin

This is not my signature.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-02-2013, 06:43 AM
(13-02-2013 08:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  'Course I always keep my nitrogen exit-bag at the ready in the event it's go-time, that just goes without saying. Big Grin
That's exactly what I meant. Yes
14-02-2013, 05:29 PM
(14-02-2013 06:43 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(13-02-2013 08:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  'Course I always keep my nitrogen exit-bag at the ready in the event it's go-time, that just goes without saying. Big Grin
That's exactly what I meant. Yes

When it's time to go, it's time to go. Only question is who decides when it's time to go. I do.

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-02-2013, 05:33 PM
When my wife had cancer, with very low probability for survival, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would not survive her with more than a day.

That was the only way I could be a rock for her she needed.

We all know when it is time.

Nobody else is qualified.
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
14-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Sounds like you used to do drugs. I have been down the road of addiction it sucks you think it helps but it doesn't. When you come down all your problems are still there. If your not refering to drug use or alcohol abuse just ignore my post. Pm me if you are though.
[+] 1 user Likes panterasr9's post