Having an honest conversation about God with a thiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2014, 09:57 AM
RE: Having an honest conversation about God with a thiest
(24-03-2014 09:54 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  And to be clear, I'm not asking you to describe the "god" you believe in, to describe "Jesus", or "Yahweh". We already know the bible, quoting passages about "Jesus", or "Yahweh" would be wasteful of time, and only tells us about aspects for those particular "gods", but not what a "god" in fact is.

What I am actually asking you to describe is, what is a "god"? What does that even mean?

That may sound like an obvious question, but it actually is not. Before I could care about anything you say about your particular "god" concept, I need to understand what it is.

I think that is a fairly Good question. Much of what God is can not be defined humanly. You can not place a finite space on an infinite God. All I know about God is what he has revealed to us about him, and the things that he hasn't revealed its possible we probably just wouldn't understand, nor can we demand that of him because he is a our creator, not the other way around. But if i had to define him in a space God is love. God has revealed that about himself time and time again

Whatever definition you use, do you have any evidence that God exists? Do you have any evidence that doesn't require you to assume that he exists in the first place?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
24-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Well just to get straight to the point. Most of those representations are not representations of God. I believe anyone who says that they are for God and in the same breath kill, divide, disturb...yes enslave, etc. Are not of God, they clearly are not reading what the bible is saying and representing what they claim to represent. You can not say in one breath that you believe in Christ and that he has forgiven you of your sings and in the same breath believe that someone should die for theirs. Those two ideas don't interact, Christ was against violence. When Peter grabbed his sword to defend Christ when they took him to be crucified, Christ stopped him because that wasn't what he came to do.
24-03-2014, 09:59 AM
(24-03-2014 09:54 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  I think that is a fairly Good question. Much of what God is can not be defined humanly. You can not place a finite space on an infinite God. All I know about God is what he has revealed to us about him, and the things that he hasn't revealed its possible we probably just wouldn't understand, nor can we demand that of him because he is a our creator, not the other way around. But if i had to define him in a space God is love. God has revealed that about himself time and time again

Then how do you explain this?

http://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2009/0...g-a-child/

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
(24-03-2014 09:38 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  I actually wasn't the one who brought the scripture up, I'm still waiting on the guy who started the topic to reply...bathroom break maybe??

YOU started the topic.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
(24-03-2014 09:58 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  Well just to get straight to the point. Most of those representations are not representations of God. I believe anyone who says that they are for God and in the same breath kill, divide, disturb...yes enslave, etc. Are not of God, they clearly are not reading what the bible is saying and representing what they claim to represent. You can not say in one breath that you believe in Christ and that he has forgiven you of your sings and in the same breath believe that someone should die for theirs.

Sounds like cherry picking.

(24-03-2014 09:58 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  Those two ideas don't interact, Christ was against violence. When Peter grabbed his sword to defend Christ when they took him to be crucified, Christ stopped him because that wasn't what he came to do.

What about the part where Jesus said that he didn't come to bring peace, but a sword (Matthew 10:34)? Does that part not count because it goes against your narrative?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
24-03-2014, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2014 10:06 AM by kingschosen.)
Quote:Whatever definition you use, do you have any evidence that God exists? Do you have any evidence that doesn't require you to assume that he exists in the first place?

Of course...This would be the evidence of the holy spirit. Gods spirit living within a human being. Every christian can tell you its there, Everyone doesn't have it, I understand it may sound like bull crap, but just as sure I'm talking to you at this moment, He can do the same thing. This is my evidence....The Holy spirit
24-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Subjective personal experience is insufficient evidence. The existence of consciousness is proof of nothing. This is a very weak argument.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
24-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Quote:What about the part where Jesus said that he didn't come to bring peace, but a sword (Matthew 10:34)? Does that part not count because it goes against your narrative?

Very Good Matthew 10: Jesus Christ is speaking about the coming day of Judgement...His future judgement. He is not talking about his physical reign. This would also bring into the discussion, just exactly what Christianity does. This is evident within a home of Non-Christians, and one of them accepts Christ. There have been instances where The families have divided over there beliefs. This is also a point of this scripture so you can take it too ways. But while on earth my original point, Christ was not hear to divide but certainly within the time not only was the roman empire divided over this Christ, but so where other nations....The ability to choose is what divides...The chose is what divided...The choice to choose Christ....thats the point
24-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Vin2890, yes, you. I'm talking to you.

You are erasing the opening quote tags... for whatever ridiculous reason... and you're screwing up the readability of entire posts.

Stop.

Look... you can delete and modify anything that is written in red that I have in this example. The text in blue... LEAVE IT ALONE. Do not modify it. You are erasing the opening tags and therefore making a mess for me to clean up. You're doing it with every post. Stop.

[quote='kingschosen' pid='527790' dateline='1395674911' ]
OMG HTML isn't hard.

Let me go back and fix this debacle.

Edit: Okay, done. Stop erasing the opening tags.

[ /quote]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
24-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Quote:Ok thanks Thumbsup I can now just walk away. You have excused slavery in favor of your imaginary friend. You are officially morally bankrupt. Everyone else feel free to rip into this one I'm out.

The Slavery your speaking of is not excused but it is not caused by the bible...I think that was your point???? Slavery in the biblical times was not a biblical institution, it was a roman institution....rag on the romans