Having an honest conversation about God with a thiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2014, 10:34 AM
RE: Having an honest conversation about God with a thiest
(24-03-2014 10:29 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 09:58 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  Well just to get straight to the point. Most of those representations are not representations of God. I believe anyone who says that they are for God and in the same breath kill, divide, disturb...yes enslave, etc. Are not of God, they clearly are not reading what the bible is saying and representing what they claim to represent. You can not say in one breath that you believe in Christ and that he has forgiven you of your sings and in the same breath believe that someone should die for theirs. Those two ideas don't interact, Christ was against violence. When Peter grabbed his sword to defend Christ when they took him to be crucified, Christ stopped him because that wasn't what he came to do.

So, this mythical gawd creature in your OT babble, you denounce it.

No I believe the old testament couldn't save anyone, God had it in place but it was not the final fulfillment in his plan. There have always been atrocities committed in the name of God, The old testament Prophets were killed because they spoke out about Israel's rejection of God...That is no secret
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2014, 10:34 AM
(24-03-2014 10:27 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 10:14 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  There's no question that people can experience subjective brain-states that are very real to them, yet are entirely hallucinatory.

Internal, unverifiable personal experiences are unreliable because they are entirely subjective.

So basically what your telling me is I'm not allowed to tell you what I've experienced in my personal life?? I'm completely rationale to debate with all of you, and take your questions and answer them, yet i'm hallucinating about the holy spirit within my life...is that the size of it all??

Essentially.

I saw Jesus and talked to him as a kid. I don't take this as real nor do I expect anyone else to. I made it up. It was a hallucination. Not real. Just like my jackelope probably was.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
24-03-2014, 10:35 AM
(24-03-2014 10:00 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  
Quote:Whatever definition you use, do you have any evidence that God exists? Do you have any evidence that doesn't require you to assume that he exists in the first place?

Of course...This would be the evidence of the holy spirit.

You have neither defined nor provided evidence to support your assertion that such a thing exists.

Assertions presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Quote: Gods spirit living within a human being.

You must first demonstrate that such a thing exists, define "spirit", and demonstrate with evidence that such a thing possesses such a "spirit", and demonstrate the mechanism which you claim that this "spirit" can supposedly "live within a human being".

Assertions by fiat can be dismissed by fiat.

Quote: Every christian can tell you its there,

Argumentum ad Populum. Pay no attention to the Man Behind the Curtain. See the Cat? See the Cradle?

You seem to be ignorant of the fact that many who are here once held christian beliefs.

Quote: Everyone doesn't have it, I understand it may sound like bull crap, but just as sure I'm talking to you at this moment, He can do the same thing. This is my evidence....The Holy spirit

"I believe because I believe" is not evidence.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
24-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Does the devil use deception to communicate with humans?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
24-03-2014, 10:36 AM
(24-03-2014 10:31 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 10:18 AM)natachan Wrote:  The difference is I am not claiming my imaginary voice is real. You are. Prove it. You are making a claim, that your voice, WHICH ONLY YOU CAN HEAR, is real and applies to everyone and the entire universe. What evidence do you have for this?

It doesn't apply to you, but it does to me...That is evidence for me. But past that let just ask a basic question of all of the Christians that lived and walk the earth, do you feel that they have under gone all of this scrutiny, the persecution etc. because of a belief they have no evidence in??? just yes or no

Yes.

Faith = belief with no evidence. So, yes.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
24-03-2014, 10:37 AM
(24-03-2014 10:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 10:14 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  Ok. Im not hear to try and convince you...your mind is made up....I'm hear to find out why...it goes deeper than evidence...its something that is repelling you...the people...culture etc. experience. Im hear to hear your story...Your real story

Stop being disingenuous. You're here for one of two reasons: 1) troll 2) ask for evidence against God.

Asking for someone's "story" is a guise to say, "but yeah, how does that prove that God isn't real?"

You're using dishonest tactic to ask for a dishonest answer to an unanswerable question.

There is no amount of empirical evidence that prove God's existence or non-existence nor is any amount of anecdotal evidence sufficient to prove God's existence or non-existence. God isn't based in empirical evidence, and any Christian that says He is is lying to himself. God is based on faith which is in clear contention with empirical evidence. That being said, Christians are given faith in order to believe and establish a bridge that crosses the need for empirical evidence; thus creating the evidence that one needs to believe.

Asking this of an atheist is shifting the burden of proof. You cannot prove it just as much as they cannot disprove it, and it's disingenuous to ask that they do when you know good and well you can't sufficiency prove God's existence based purely on empirical evidence.

Stop making theists look bad with dishonest, annoying, trite tactics like this.

Stop being disingenuous. You're here for one of two reasons: 1) troll 2) ask for evidence against God.<---- This is not true. I'm here to talk about God with you guys, i'm not asking for confrontation....if you want to believe that, you can but...But my claim is that i'm not...

Past that MY.....is said MY....Emperical evidence is The holy spirit within my life...you can't tell me that isn't the case within my life, or you are overstepping your bounds, all you can say is i have no evidence of the holy spirit within "My" life this not only speaks truth from your stand point but doesn't come into my space and tell me what it is that i'm experiencing....Please maintain fine lines as I do for you....This is MY evidence
(24-03-2014 10:04 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  
Quote:What about the part where Jesus said that he didn't come to bring peace, but a sword (Matthew 10:34)? Does that part not count because it goes against your narrative?

Very Good Matthew 10: Jesus Christ is speaking about the coming day of Judgement...His future judgement. He is not talking about his physical reign. This would also bring into the discussion, just exactly what Christianity does. This is evident within a home of Non-Christians, and one of them accepts Christ. There have been instances where The families have divided over there beliefs. This is also a point of this scripture so you can take it too ways. But while on earth my original point, Christ was not hear to divide but certainly within the time not only was the roman empire divided over this Christ, but so where other nations....The ability to choose is what divides...The chose is what divided...The choice to choose Christ....thats the point

*their beliefs.

*here to divide

*that's the point

So, you admit that your delusions rend families apart. And that you think that that's a Good Thing. Thus you and your religion are morally bankrupt.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
(24-03-2014 09:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 09:43 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Rolleyes

Tomato tomahto

I was being a smartass on purpose, but BBCode is not html. Would just like to clear that up Smartass

BBCode is a markup language used by forums to format posts, the BBCode is then translated into HTML/XHTML.

Atir aissom atir imon
24-03-2014, 10:39 AM
(24-03-2014 10:32 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 10:29 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  I am not catholic, that is a catholic belief. The catholic church, ruled my religious fore-fathers has heretics and killed them. So I'm not going to answer for what they have done in the Name of God, that is question a catholic must answer

So not applicable because not your religion. Got it. So does that mean that the Catholics have it wrong and you've got it right?

edit: Just to clarify, when I say 'you', I don't just mean you specifically. I'm referring to anyone who believes in the exact same doctrine that you do.

This means that Catholics have killed before in the name of God. This is wrong and I will stand by that
24-03-2014, 10:40 AM
(24-03-2014 10:37 AM)vin2890 Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 10:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Stop being disingenuous. You're here for one of two reasons: 1) troll 2) ask for evidence against God.

Asking for someone's "story" is a guise to say, "but yeah, how does that prove that God isn't real?"

You're using dishonest tactic to ask for a dishonest answer to an unanswerable question.

There is no amount of empirical evidence that prove God's existence or non-existence nor is any amount of anecdotal evidence sufficient to prove God's existence or non-existence. God isn't based in empirical evidence, and any Christian that says He is is lying to himself. God is based on faith which is in clear contention with empirical evidence. That being said, Christians are given faith in order to believe and establish a bridge that crosses the need for empirical evidence; thus creating the evidence that one needs to believe.

Asking this of an atheist is shifting the burden of proof. You cannot prove it just as much as they cannot disprove it, and it's disingenuous to ask that they do when you know good and well you can't sufficiency prove God's existence based purely on empirical evidence.

Stop making theists look bad with dishonest, annoying, trite tactics like this.

Stop being disingenuous. You're here for one of two reasons: 1) troll 2) ask for evidence against God.<---- This is not true. I'm here to talk about God with you guys, i'm not asking for confrontation....if you want to believe that, you can but...But my claim is that i'm not...

Past that MY.....is said MY....Emperical evidence is The holy spirit within my life...you can't tell me that isn't the case within my life, or you are overstepping your bounds, all you can say is i have no evidence of the holy spirit within "My" life this not only speaks truth from your stand point but doesn't come into my space and tell me what it is that i'm experiencing....Please maintain fine lines as I do for you....This is MY evidence

If you want an imaginary friend, you just go right ahead.

Don't tell us that it's magic and that we have to have one, too.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?