He who must not be named, and other stuff.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2012, 11:09 PM
RE: He who must not be named, and other stuff.
Reality is for people who can't handle drugs! Wink

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
02-07-2012, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2012 11:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-07-2012 11:09 PM)aurora Wrote:  Reality is for people who can't handle drugs! Wink
Fucking pussies.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Dagnammit!
I'm supposed to be writing a serious article and I have spent the last hour on quantums and wishing I had something to smoke.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-07-2012, 03:15 AM
(02-07-2012 08:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Conscious observation realizes the world and makes it manifest. Prior to that it exists only as an unrealized probability density function. All possibilities simultaneously exist with varying degrees of probability.
That is a faith position, not an observable, provable one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-07-2012, 04:59 AM
(02-07-2012 11:58 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Dagnammit!
I'm supposed to be writing a serious article and I have spent the last hour on quantums and wishing I had something to smoke.

No smoke for you!

(03-07-2012 03:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-07-2012 08:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Conscious observation realizes the world and makes it manifest. Prior to that it exists only as an unrealized probability density function. All possibilities simultaneously exist with varying degrees of probability.

Thing that I don't get is working scientists subscribing to this kinda woo. How da fuck ain't it a threshold of energy sitch when any act of "observation" adds energy to the system? And how da fuck does the scientist's term "observer" transmogrify into the layman's term "consciousness" when these experiments clearly state that the detector is some kinda mechanical or solid-state electrical device?

Fuckers. Not Girly, but rather the mofos who spun it up so that Girly can read that shit into it.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-07-2012, 05:41 AM

(02-07-2012 11:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  That just shows the important causation of what happens when you don't smoke pot. You end up being betrayed and killed by your friend. I bet you Jesus didn't smoke pot and the same thing happened to him!

If I were stoned, I'd agree with you.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
03-07-2012, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 06:23 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-07-2012 08:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-07-2012 07:36 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What the... how does that work, exactly? What does that Wheeler crap have to do with that AP crap? Other than it's all crap? Big Grin

(Got me looking stuff up, you ass. It was "obsess over Gwynnie" time, and you fuckered it all up! Tongue)

The fuck, Brother? I can fill in the gaps wrt Gwynnies and you can't fill in the gaps between AP, biocentrism, and Wheeler? The fuck, Brother? ... It is all crap, though. Wink

(02-07-2012 08:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Whatever time is, it's NOT just in human consciousness.

Says you. My gut tells me different. Wink

(02-07-2012 08:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Oh shut up. Tongue Just kidding. Don't make no never mind "exactly what" it's measuring, (and actually we don't really know yet what it is, or what "causes" it .. ? wave function collapses ? ) The fact that whatever it is, is "seen" by human consciousness to be two different things, invalidates the claim that human consciousness invented "it", as "it" is not singular. It's "something" external to human consciousness. Bye bye, Biocentrism.

I find that less than persuasive, Brother. ... But I ain't no physicist, I'm a computer scientist regularly inventing new worlds which either behave precisely according to my whim if I program them to be deterministic or behave unpredictability if I program them to be non-deterministic. ... But I do work with some world class physicists who I run these ideas by during the lunch hour and they are unwilling to admit your position. Wink

Conscious observation realizes the world and makes it manifest. Prior to that it exists only as an unrealized probability density function. All possibilities simultaneously exist with varying degrees of probability.
If the watch comes back, and tells a different time than the one which was left here, (due to different relative speed, which has been proven), "something's going on" without being observed up there. Ask them.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
03-07-2012, 06:08 AM
(02-07-2012 10:34 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(02-07-2012 06:52 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Here's something completely off topic for a laugh.
Old but good.

I wanted to address this first. That woman is mentally ill, and while I do not agree with Christians theologically, I will not hang her behavior around their necks. I watched that show when it aired, and I watched it another time when it re-ran. That woman has acute internal self-esteem conflicts, what looks like a histrionic or borderline personality disorder, and she has a very passive husband who probably enables her behavior. In my personal opinion, I doubt strongly that she truly feels any connection with the teachings of Jesus Christ or has any insight into his manner of dealing with people. Jesus, I think we can safely assume, wouldn't have any problem hanging around new-agers. Hell, compared to hanging around the religious of his day, a new-age festival would have been like "time off" for him and his disciples.

When I watch that episode and I reflect on the damage that mentally ill parents cause their children, and I reflect on some of my own past in that regard, I am truly brought low almost to the point of tears.
BP or not, it is still fucking hilarious.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
03-07-2012, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 01:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-07-2012 03:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  

It's a well-established fact that subatomic particles can be in more than one place at the same time. Quantum superposition is indisputable. And now we know that visible objects can also be in a state of superposition: Quantum ground state and single-phonon control of a mechanical resonator. And that state can be maintained for long (relatively) periods of time: Quantum Information Storage for over 180 s Using Donor Spins in a 28Si “Semiconductor Vacuum” .

So why you say that? Seems observable and provable enough to me. Unless what you mean is that science itself is a faith-based position, which is an entirely different can of worms.

(03-07-2012 04:59 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Thing that I don't get is working scientists subscribing to this kinda woo. How da fuck ain't it a threshold of energy sitch when any act of "observation" adds energy to the system? And how da fuck does the scientist's term "observer" transmogrify into the layman's term "consciousness" when these experiments clearly state that the detector is some kinda mechanical or solid-state electrical device?

Fuckers. Not Girly, but rather the mofos who spun it up so that Girly can read that shit into it.

Don't get me wrong, Johnny. Girly don't even believe in Bob. It's just fun to think about it. Big Grin

Some entertaining Feynman quotes on the subject.

"I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics." - The Character of Physical Law

"Do not keep saying to yourself, if you can possibly avoid it, 'But how can it be like that?' because you will get 'down the drain,' into a blind alley from which nobody has yet escaped. Nobody knows how it can be like that. " - The Character of Physical Law

The 'paradox' is only a conflict between reality and your feeling of what reality 'ought to be.' " - The Feynman Lectures on Physics

"We can't define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers… one saying to the other: 'you don't know what you are talking about!'. The second one says: 'what do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? What do you mean by know?' " - - The Feynman Lectures on Physics

And finally,

"What I cannot create, I do not understand." - on his blackboard at the time of his death

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
(03-07-2012 01:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 03:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  That is a faith position, not an observable, provable one.

It's a well-established fact that subatomic particles can be in more than one place at the same time. Quantum superposition is indisputable. And now we know that visible objects can also be in a state of superposition: Quantum ground state and single-phonon control of a mechanical resonator. And that state can be maintained for long (relatively) periods of time: Quantum Information Storage for over 180 s Using Donor Spins in a 28Si “Semiconductor Vacuum” .

So why you say that? Seems observable and provable enough to me. Unless what you mean is that science itself is a faith-based position, which is an entirely different can of worms.
I don't argue with the experimental results. It is the interpretation that consciousness is required to do whatever it's supposed to be doing to reality.

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle has nothing to do with consciousness - it's about the physical act of measurement.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]