He who must not be named, and other stuff.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2012, 08:49 AM
RE: He who must not be named, and other stuff.
What I want know is, what made Deep flip and then ban him? Or has this already been answered elsewhere?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2012, 09:02 AM
I'm not aware of any banning. Deep had added a dunce cap to Egors avatar. He removed it shortly after, and has acknowledged that it was perhaps not the best reaction.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
01-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Just curious with one thing. What degree of offensiveness will lead to immediate banning? I've noticed quite a few active forum members being banned recently, and they seemed to have controversial viewpoints with regards to a certain issue. Hope to understand more. Thank you very much!

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
01-07-2012, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 09:44 AM by DeepThought.)
(01-07-2012 09:13 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Just curious with one thing. What degree of offensiveness will lead to immediate banning? I've noticed quite a few active forum members being banned recently, and they seemed to have controversial viewpoints with regards to a certain issue. Hope to understand more. Thank you very much!
No one was ever banned for having a controversial viewpoint.

The only reasons I'm aware of were:
death threats
spamming (in various forms eg: posting dozens of threads on the same topic with the same content with minor variations)
flat out abusive behaviour that doesn't change
harassing others non-stop.
Edit: also having sockpuppet accounts.. that isn't allowed either.

Pretty much just those or variations on those.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post
01-07-2012, 09:36 AM
(01-07-2012 09:02 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm not aware of any banning. Deep had added a dunce cap to Egors avatar. He removed it shortly after, and has acknowledged that it was perhaps not the best reaction.

Oh, I had gotten the wrong impression. I think that if Egor says anything insulting to you, then you should block him. Then you won't have to get angry at him again and he will slowly disappear from being ignored.
01-07-2012, 09:48 AM
(01-07-2012 09:20 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(01-07-2012 09:13 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Just curious with one thing. What degree of offensiveness will lead to immediate banning? I've noticed quite a few active forum members being banned recently, and they seemed to have controversial viewpoints with regards to a certain issue. Hope to understand more. Thank you very much!
No one was ever banned for having a controversial viewpoint.

The only reasons I'm aware of were:
death threats
spamming (in various forms eg: posting dozens of threads on the same topic with the same content with minor variations)
flat out abusive behaviour that doesn't change
harassing others non-stop.
Edit: also having sockpuppet accounts.. that isn't allowed either.

Pretty much just those or variations on those.
Thanks for the clarification! Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
01-07-2012, 09:59 AM
(01-07-2012 08:32 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Time to clear this shit up once and for all.....

This thread is about Egor.

Why does Egor anger/frustrate/annoy several members of the forum?

- He is a theist who ardently believes in god
- He has a hard time giving convincing arguments, and therefore is often forced to abandon explanations and ignore questions (this is also often due to the fact that he is one guy answering questions from a dozen people. Not easy to keep up sometimes)
- When Egor gets frustrated, he tends to turn nasty. He,s been known to call people names, say rude or insulting comments, etc. kinda like a few other people on the forum.
- Egors mood tends to change quickly and without warning. Again, likely due to the frustration of having discussions where he in one against many.
- He seems to try and antagonize other members. I say "seems" because if you read objectively, you may often find that he is actually being reactive. When people speak condescendingly to me, I know I can get pretty nasty, very quickly.
- Egors beliefs appear to be ever changing, and often it appears these changes are based on whim. And ain't that the very crux of what pisses most atheists off?

So now we all know the jist of it. How bout we all follow DeepThoughts example, and try to step back and look at things from the outside. If you want to call him a troll, fine by me. I,ve seen him troll plenty of times. But I've also seen a whole lot of other members troll just as much or more.

So let's make this the last Egor thread. If you don't like the way he communicates, don't communicate with him. If you want to diagnose him with mental disorders, go right ahead, but if you want those diagnosis to be taken seriously, you better provide some documentation to back up your phd in psych, and prove you've met him in person. Otherwise it's just a bunch of armchair head shrinking.

Egor rubs a whole lotta people here the wrong way. Big fuckin deal. Move on.

None of the above are irritating to me. He did annoy the dickens outta me a few months ago though. At that time I went through the trouble and looked through earlier posts (not digging them up again for ya though, once is enough) where he explains exactly what the plan is.

The plan is to formulate a religion that will be acceptable by atheists, because he does think that atheists will be the norm in the future. And also because all the atheists put together make a decent number of members for a new religion.

So in the end one religion will triumph - his.

So he keeps on trying to make things more palatable for atheists to swallow, by giving in on one point or another. So then everyone flocks - wow, he saw the light, there is no hell, wow, he now believes in evolution, etc etc.

And of course as he introduces god, he loses the happy followers and gets mad.

Then he withdraws back into his turtle shell and emerges later with a new revelation.

And so on and so on, always hoping to have found the point where religion can marry atheism.

He is trolling, he throws out the bait and waits for people to bite and create a 10 page thread or longer, and with each concession towards atheism he gets a new start and a new chance of making his theory work.

If you all wanna play that game, that's fine by me. I ignore his threads. For one, I don't want to get sucked into getting irritated, life is too short and I have better things to do. But more importantly, this isn't even fair to him. Each defeat puts him on a downward spiral and hence the aggressiveness. Poor guy is on a rollercoaster ride that is bound to end badly. The sooner he gives up on his idea of creating a religion for you all, the less hurt he will emerge from his (misguided) adventure.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
01-07-2012, 10:15 AM
(01-07-2012 09:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-07-2012 08:32 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Time to clear this shit up once and for all.....

This thread is about Egor.

Why does Egor anger/frustrate/annoy several members of the forum?

- He is a theist who ardently believes in god
- He has a hard time giving convincing arguments, and therefore is often forced to abandon explanations and ignore questions (this is also often due to the fact that he is one guy answering questions from a dozen people. Not easy to keep up sometimes)
- When Egor gets frustrated, he tends to turn nasty. He,s been known to call people names, say rude or insulting comments, etc. kinda like a few other people on the forum.
- Egors mood tends to change quickly and without warning. Again, likely due to the frustration of having discussions where he in one against many.
- He seems to try and antagonize other members. I say "seems" because if you read objectively, you may often find that he is actually being reactive. When people speak condescendingly to me, I know I can get pretty nasty, very quickly.
- Egors beliefs appear to be ever changing, and often it appears these changes are based on whim. And ain't that the very crux of what pisses most atheists off?

So now we all know the jist of it. How bout we all follow DeepThoughts example, and try to step back and look at things from the outside. If you want to call him a troll, fine by me. I,ve seen him troll plenty of times. But I've also seen a whole lot of other members troll just as much or more.

So let's make this the last Egor thread. If you don't like the way he communicates, don't communicate with him. If you want to diagnose him with mental disorders, go right ahead, but if you want those diagnosis to be taken seriously, you better provide some documentation to back up your phd in psych, and prove you've met him in person. Otherwise it's just a bunch of armchair head shrinking.

None of the above are irritating to me. He did annoy the dickens outta me a few months ago though. At that time I went through the trouble and looked through earlier posts (not digging them up again for ya though, once is enough) where he explains exactly what the plan is.

The plan is to formulate a religion that will be acceptable by atheists, because he does think that atheists will be the norm in the future. And also because all the atheists put together make a decent number of members for a new religion.

So in the end one religion will triumph - his.

So he keeps on trying to make things more palatable for atheists to swallow, by giving in on one point or another. So then everyone flocks - wow, he saw the light, there is no hell, wow, he now believes in evolution, etc etc.

And of course as he introduces god, he loses the happy followers and gets mad.

Then he withdraws back into his turtle shell and emerges later with a new revelation.

And so on and so on, always hoping to have found the point where religion can marry atheism.

He is trolling, he throws out the bait and waits for people to bite and create a 10 page thread or longer, and with each concession towards atheism he gets a new start and a new chance of making his theory work.

If you all wanna play that game, that's fine by me. I ignore his threads. For one, I don't want to get sucked into getting irritated, life is too short and I have better things to do. But more importantly, this isn't even fair to him. Each defeat puts him on a downward spiral and hence the aggressiveness. Poor guy is on a rollercoaster ride that is bound to end badly. The sooner he gives up on his idea of creating a religion for you all, the less hurt he will emerge from his (misguided) adventure.

Wow! Thanks Dom. I hadn't seen it like that. That's a revelation and no mistake!

Who knows, maybe (with an infinite number of monkeys etc.) he might stumble upon something that would be acceptable for both theists and atheists.... world peace will ensue.

Sounds boring.

01-07-2012, 10:21 AM
(01-07-2012 08:32 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So now we all know the jist of it. How bout we all follow DeepThoughts example, and try to step back and look at things from the outside. If you want to call him a troll, fine by me. I,ve seen him troll plenty of times. But I've also seen a whole lot of other members troll just as much or more.

Damn Stark I could kiss you right now.

Please people listen to what Stark says. And also remember that if you don't like his way of communicating then every time you fire off at him you just give him more of a platform and more of a reason to make more posts, surely that's self-defeating?!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
01-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Several of our active members were all the same guy. Mysticjbyrd, Antirepublican and Jackashflash were all the same dickhead. Satan69 was banned for threatening to slit someone's throat.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.