He who shall not be named.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2015, 04:44 PM
RE: He who shall not be named.
(24-06-2015 02:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 09:52 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Also, robes have to be the LEAST practical garment possible for someone with wings back there.

Are you kidding? If something happens to your wings, that billowing robe can be a life-saver!

You make an airy argument. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-06-2015, 04:44 PM
(24-06-2015 09:47 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 09:35 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  This reminds me of the overly patriotic weirdos refusing to use the term "French fries", and calling them "freedom fries".

Are most countries citizens retardedly patriotic or is another "Murica" thing?

As far as I know, the "freedom fries" nonsense originated in and was limited to the US.

Don't worry, we Aussies have our idiots too. Trouble is, a fair few of them form the current government.

We did the same here in the UK.

We decided to stop calling them German Shepherds because of the ill feelings towards the Germans thanks to the war and call them Alsatians instead.

Of course I still say German Shepherd. Because that's what they are.
Find all posts by this user
24-06-2015, 05:07 PM
(24-06-2015 02:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 09:52 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Also, robes have to be the LEAST practical garment possible for someone with wings back there.

Are you kidding? If something happens to your wings, that billowing robe can be a life-saver!

A life-saver?

You mean, AFTER the guy's gotten his harp, because he's DEAD?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
26-06-2015, 05:54 AM
(24-06-2015 07:38 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 07:24 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Why is there a thread about Voldemort? Tongue Maybe it's like Blood Mary where if you say it three times he will appear.

I thought this may be a thread about Sye.

I'd assumed it was about Candlejack. You can't start a thread with his name in it because you won't get a chance to f
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
27-06-2015, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2015 09:25 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(24-06-2015 09:29 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I know this all too well. About a month ago or so I posted a thread of superstitious ideals that religious people hold. I mentioned that while I was growing up my mom never allowed me to have a television. She did allow a computer monitor though in which we rented movies to watch. Movies are worse than TV? (Explain that?) The kicker was that when the movie was over she put it out in the garage, as if the garage wall held special powers that would keep any evil from the movie out of the house, even though it was IN the house while we watched it? I mean what the fuck really?? Weeping LaughatLaughat Weeping Hobo

I also grew up in a house where my mom said (often), quoting an evangelist who had come to our church for a lecture on the evils of "The World", that "Television is the Devil's way of sneaking into the home." I guess He Who Must Not Be Named is made of electrons? We never were prohibited from saying the names Satan or the Devil, but it was occasionally spoken in a hushed whisper. Ahh, the South. Never heard of "angel eggs", though... but even when I was still a Christian, I got exhausted by all the talk about "Man's Knowledge" (versus the Revealed Truth, of course) and "The World".

We had a TV set already, so it was simply unfastened from the wall, and we watched movies on the VCR, selected from the local library or church library. Ironically, my mom is a theatre professor at a Christian university, so among the movies we frequently watched were all the Rogers & Hammerstein (etc) musicals. And yet she claims she didn't want me to turn out gay! Somehow I managed to stay straight despite this influence. Facepalm

On the other hand, the lack of TV meant I read books. Constantly. I attribute my separation from the church and eventual atheism to this factor. That, and my discovery that the Church had lied about the "evils" of Dungeons & Dragons, which was not about worshiping Satan, but about combat against evil forces. Later, when I learned the lies I had been told about evolutionary biology, it was pretty much a done deal. Now, I tell people that I am a "Recovering Christoholic" and that I have been "Jesus Free for ___ years" (counting from age 17, when I gave up my faith). Didn't call myself an outright atheist until 22 or so, but as I stopped caring about what Christians or their religion had to say at seventeen, I use that as my baseline. I suppose I spent five years as a JustDontGiveAFuckist.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
27-06-2015, 10:37 AM
I know a few people who make "angel eggs". Instead of using the egg yolks and mayo for the filling they use hummus or yogurt to make the eggs lighter and healthier. I tell them "You realize what you've just done to them poor eggs is the work of the devil right?"

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-06-2015, 10:59 AM
(27-06-2015 10:37 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I know a few people who make "angel eggs". Instead of using the egg yolks and mayo for the filling they use hummus or yogurt to make the eggs lighter and healthier. I tell them "You realize what you've just done to them poor eggs is the work of the devil right?"

I think those would be Djinn eggs

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
27-06-2015, 11:49 AM
(27-06-2015 09:19 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  On the other hand, the lack of TV meant I read books. Constantly. I attribute my separation from the church and eventual atheism to this factor. That, and my discovery that the Church had lied about the "evils" of Dungeons & Dragons, which was not about worshiping Satan, but about combat against evil forces. Later, when I learned the lies I had been told about evolutionary biology, it was pretty much a done deal. Now, I tell people that I am a "Recovering Christoholic" and that I have been "Jesus Free for ___ years" (counting from age 17, when I gave up my faith). Didn't call myself an outright atheist until 22 or so, but as I stopped caring about what Christians or their religion had to say at seventeen, I use that as my baseline. I suppose I spent five years as a JustDontGiveAFuckist.

Well to became atheist one need to read and understand only one book - Bible Wink

And to be fair one actually could worship equivalent of satan in D&D, rape kittens and slaughter virgins too, so it's not only about battling evil. But seriously clergy preaching about evils of D&D is quite high on idiocy list.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-06-2015, 02:58 PM
(27-06-2015 11:49 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Well to became atheist one need to read and understand only one book - Bible Wink

True indeed. That was my first problem. The made me read that freakin' thing cover-to-cover, in two different translations (KJV and NIV), as part of a Young Apologists (not the actual name) training-course my Church pushed onto the "smart ones" of my peer group. They handed me the training and observational tools to examine other religions/denominations to determine why (for instance) the Catholics were WRONG™, so that I could preach to and argue against their beliefs. And what do you know, somehow it backfired on them when I started observing the exact same kind of crazy shit from my own church's doctrine. Whaaat? Facepalm

(27-06-2015 11:49 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  And to be fair one actually could worship equivalent of satan in D&D, rape kittens and slaughter virgins too, so it's not only about battling evil. But seriously clergy preaching about evils of D&D is quite high on idiocy list.

True, but when you're a 12-year-old junior high kid, you want to play Paladins and Rangers and other great heroes... especially in the early 2nd Edition days when I played. If you're the kind of kid who'd use the game to rape kittens and slaughter virgins, then it's not the D&D that's your problem! Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-06-2015, 03:21 PM
(27-06-2015 02:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  True indeed. That was my first problem. The made me read that freakin' thing cover-to-cover, in two different translations (KJV and NIV), as part of a Young Apologists (not the actual name) training-course my Church pushed onto the "smart ones" of my peer group. They handed me the training and observational tools to examine other religions/denominations to determine why (for instance) the Catholics were WRONG™, so that I could preach to and argue against their beliefs. And what do you know, somehow it backfired on them when I started observing the exact same kind of crazy shit from my own church's doctrine. Whaaat? Facepalm

From time perspective I would not call it problem but rather solution to one. Though I certainly don't envy you being forced to read this pile of nonsense.

(27-06-2015 02:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  True, but when you're a 12-year-old junior high kid, you want to play Paladins and Rangers and other great heroes... especially in the early 2nd Edition days when I played. If you're the kind of kid who'd use the game to rape kittens and slaughter virgins, then it's not the D&D that's your problem! Laugh out load

I preferred evil - but lawful - characters, but then I started playing in higschool. And as for the kittens, certainly, though I never meet player who would do that. But slaughter tend to happen.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post