Head about to explode... Friend's Large Mainstream Church Teaching Creationism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Head about to explode... Friend's Large Mainstream Church Teaching Creationism
Over the past couple of years my best friend has been attending and become more absorbed into a large "non-denominational" church (mega church with multiple campuses) in Minnesota. Last week their message was about Creationism. You can watch it for yourself here: http://vimeo.com/65513425

My head is about to explode so I had to come here to share. I have somewhat of a background in anthropology (close to a BA, changed majors) and its always been one of my passions, so you can imagine how frustrating this is to me. She and I are meeting this week to discuss it. I don't even know where to begin or if I should even bother. She is a very smart person being totally bamboozeled by this crap.

And like I said, this is a big non-denominational church. This isn't some small backwater bible belt church. This way of thinking has become fairly mainstream I fear. This is why I speak out!

Anyway, enjoy the "show."

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." ~Rene Descartes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 09:52 PM
RE: Head about to explode... Friend's Large Mainstream Church Teaching Creationism
What did you expect from the freaks who elect and re-elect that crazy bitch Michelle Bachmann ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2013, 10:13 PM
RE: Head about to explode... Friend's Large Mainstream Church Teaching Creationism
(07-05-2013 09:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What did you expect from the freaks who elect and re-elect that crazy bitch Michelle Bachmann ?

Not super helpful. I'm a Minnesotan too afterall. Not in Bachmans district but anyway.... My best friend may be misguided but she's not a crazy freak.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." ~Rene Descartes.
07-05-2013, 10:42 PM
My name is evenheathen, and I approve this message. Be sure to tell her he is a bona fide believer, tell her to watch this video.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
07-05-2013, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 10:55 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-05-2013 10:13 PM)PersephoneK Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 09:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What did you expect from the freaks who elect and re-elect that crazy bitch Michelle Bachmann ?

Not super helpful. I'm a Minnesotan too afterall. Not in Bachmans district but anyway.... My best friend may be misguided but she's not a crazy freak.

I sent the link to my friends in MN, and they said that the all the churches in that mega church were in the Northern tier of suburbs where she is the rep. They did elect her, after all. I said Bachmann was a crazy, not your friend. Did she vote for her ? Bachmann is certifiable. Creationism is not mainstream in MN in general. Mpls/St.Paul is very liberal. Maybe in your suburb it might be. The state itself is rather enlightened, in general. Creationism is not "mainstream".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
07-05-2013, 11:17 PM
(07-05-2013 10:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  My name is evenheathen, and I approve this message. Be sure to tell her he is a bona fide believer, tell her to watch this video.

That is excellent! Thank you!

07-05-2013, 11:21 PM
(07-05-2013 11:17 PM)PersephoneK Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 10:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  My name is evenheathen, and I approve this message. Be sure to tell her he is a bona fide believer, tell her to watch this video.

That is excellent! Thank you!

Aww.....shucks! Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
07-05-2013, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 11:28 PM by PersephoneK.)
(07-05-2013 10:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 10:13 PM)PersephoneK Wrote:  Not super helpful. I'm a Minnesotan too afterall. Not in Bachmans district but anyway.... My best friend may be misguided but she's not a crazy freak.

I sent the link to my friends in MN, and they said that the all the churches in that mega church were in the Northern tier of suburbs where she is the rep. They did elect her, after all. I said Bachmann was a crazy, not your friend. Did she vote for her ? Bachmann is certifiable. Creationism is not mainstream in MN in general. Mpls/St.Paul is very liberal. Maybe in your suburb it might be. The state itself is rather enlightened, in general. Creationism is not "mainstream".
Yes its true the main campuses are in her district but my friends in particular don't live in her district. It's a church that attracts people from all over the metro. They're also opening a new campus outside of her district in the near future.

I'd disagree to some extent about the mainstreamness. Is it mainstream in the Ken Ham creation museum sense? No, but the seeds of it are very mainstream from my experience as a Christian apostate. And if mega churches like this one grow and continue to espouse it, the idea will grow as well. That was my point. It's not as fringe as people think it is.

I have no idea if my friend voted Bachman. As for me, I live in south Minneapolis (about as liberal an area as it gets here) but I grew up in the northern suburbs so I know the area extremely well.

And not to make you think I'm crazy but as an atheist, pro gay marriage, etc etc, I actually think Bachman has reasonable ideas regarding fiscal policy, so try not to paint it so black and white. Her social politics are certifiably crazy.

09-05-2013, 09:34 AM
It's not scriptural. Earlier books and cohesive ideas about god stress questioning. Anything that stops questioning, is questionable. There is no debate for creationism. There's a debate for the propagation of a singular idealism, and fuck that.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
09-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Talked to my friend tonight... luckily she has not bought into her pastor's view of evolution, and she had even done her own research to find his errors. I implored her to never, ever listen to him on this topic or any science topic ever. I think she is mostly on board. Phew! But I have no idea about the other 13,000 church members...