Head transplant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 10:21 PM by ghostexorcist.)
Head transplant
Here is a recent paper outlining how one neuroscientist proposes to perform a head transplant. The first head transplant was attempted during the 1970s and used macaques.

http://www.surgicalneurologyint.com/temp...000657.pdf
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
09-04-2015, 04:59 AM
RE: Head transplant
Considering -

A person's (or macaque, I suppose) being really resides in the brain.

So, the beneficiary of a head transplant, is the owner of the head, and not the body.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to call it a body transplant???

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-04-2015, 05:45 AM
Head transplant
The link doesn't seem to work.

I agree with the body transplant semantics. It would be nice to get a younger in shape body when you are getting old and infirmed.

Just need to find a volunteer doner.
09-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Yup, body transplant. By extension, it would be a head-and-body transplant if they put my brain in a different body's head Smile

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
09-04-2015, 05:53 AM
Can't they do it so your brain controls the new body remotely? Then if the body gets damaged, you can just synch it up with another body.

You know, like an xbox controller.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
09-04-2015, 05:55 AM
(09-04-2015 05:53 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Can't they do it so your brain controls the new body remotely? Then if the body gets damaged, you can just synch it up with another body.

I've been dreaming about that. How 'bout this: you synch your consciousness with a brain in an avatar body which you send on a quest, and when it returns you synch up again such that these experiences become integrated into your self, rinse-repeat.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 2 users Like Alex K's post
09-04-2015, 06:02 AM
They must have changed the address since I made my first post. Here it is again.

http://www.surgicalneurologyint.com/temp...080213.pdf

If that doesn't work, go to this page, scroll towards the bottom, and click on the PDF link.

http://www.surgicalneurologyint.com/arti...ero;type=0
09-04-2015, 06:13 AM
(09-04-2015 05:55 AM)Alex K Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 05:53 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Can't they do it so your brain controls the new body remotely? Then if the body gets damaged, you can just synch it up with another body.

I've been dreaming about that. How 'bout this: you synch your consciousness with a brain in an avatar body which you send on a quest, and when it returns you synch up again such that these experiences become integrated into your self, rinse-repeat.

Sounds like a winner!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
09-04-2015, 10:09 AM
(09-04-2015 05:55 AM)Alex K Wrote:  

That would turn everybody into adrenaline junkies. Unfortunately, it would also turn a lot of terrorists-wannabes into the real thing. Suicide bombing would take on a whole new meaning when you can blow up a bunch of people in the morning and celebrate the same evening.
09-04-2015, 10:44 AM
(09-04-2015 10:09 AM)AFTT47 Wrote:  That would turn everybody into adrenaline junkies. Unfortunately, it would also turn a lot of terrorists-wannabes into the real thing. Suicide bombing would take on a whole new meaning when you can blow up a bunch of people in the morning and celebrate the same evening.

Absurd idea! That would be like attack drones with AI. Oh wait...