Headache sufferers who have been prescribed benzos... this ever happened?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2015, 02:38 PM
RE: Headache sufferers who have been prescribed benzos... this ever happened?
(06-10-2015 11:06 AM)kineo Wrote:  Well, I'm not on benzos, so I don't know. I take Gabapentin and Tizanadine for my headaches. They've pretty much suppressed my daily headaches to the rare regular headache.

I've taken clonezepam before, but not for headaches- just for stress and anxiety.

Tiz helps me sleep but only for like an hour or so.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2015, 10:02 AM
5th year med student here: Benzodiazepines generally are not headache medicine (sometimes they're used in migraine when depression or anxiety is a comorbidity) and can cause addiction with rather serious withdrawal effects. Ibuprofen, aspirin, paracetamol or metamizole (though the latter is banned in the US for causing severe bone marrow issues in a very small percentage of the population and I wouldn't recommend using paracetamol over a long time period) serve that purpose much better, and if the headaches are chronic, having one's blood pressure checked (often the first and only sign of extremely high blood pressure is a refractory headache, and the condition is acutely life-threatening!) or getting a CT/MRI (and possibly angiography) of the skull is recommended since there might be some organic disease behind it such as a tumor, a vascular malformation, stenosis of the carotid artery, etc.
[+] 2 users Like Naridar's post
16-10-2015, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2015 09:12 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-10-2015 02:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 11:06 AM)kineo Wrote:  Well, I'm not on benzos, so I don't know. I take Gabapentin and Tizanadine for my headaches. They've pretty much suppressed my daily headaches to the rare regular headache.

I've taken clonezepam before, but not for headaches- just for stress and anxiety.

I'm not suggesting you self-medicate but I found Seroquel and Trazadone knock me out nicely for the night. Vivid, sometimes lucid dreams. Once I told Doc what I was doing on my own he gave me scripts. Don't try this at home.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-10-2015, 09:11 PM
(16-10-2015 08:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 02:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Tiz helps me sleep but only for like an hour or so.

I'm not suggesting you self-medicate but I found Seroquel and Trazadone knock me out nicely for the night. Vivid, sometimes lucid dreams. Once I told Doc what I was doing on my own he gave me scripts.

I've had some super-vivid Seroquel dreams too.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
19-10-2015, 06:29 PM
(09-10-2015 02:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

I have a friend who has horrible migraines almost everyday and she had botox injections which has reduced the migraines down to a minimal amount. It seems to work very well for vascular and stress headaches. It's FDA approved so your health insurance would probably cover the cost.

It might be worth a try but you should have a brain scan to rule out anything else.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-10-2015, 06:36 PM
(19-10-2015 06:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I have a friend who has horrible migraines almost everyday and she had botox injections which has reduced the migraines down to a minimal amount. It seems to work very well for vascular and stress headaches. It's FDA approved so your health insurance would probably cover the cost.
As I spent most of today with a migraine, this got my attention. Yesterday someone else brought that up. How long does the Botox last for migraines?

Can't get them but just wondering.
19-10-2015, 07:00 PM
(19-10-2015 06:36 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(19-10-2015 06:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I have a friend who has horrible migraines almost everyday and she had botox injections which has reduced the migraines down to a minimal amount. It seems to work very well for vascular and stress headaches. It's FDA approved so your health insurance would probably cover the cost.
As I spent most of today with a migraine, this got my attention. Yesterday someone else brought that up. How long does the Botox last for migraines?

Can't get them but just wondering.

My friend's treatment lasted like 6 months then she goes in for a refill, or whatever it's called. It's sort of funny but when botox became more popular the women who were going in for cosmetic botox started noticing their migraines were being greatly reduced or alleviated. It was a sort of a nice, unexpected side effect. From what I understand doctors have figured out where to inject the botox for migraines , like in the back of the neck and up in the hairline.

My friend had to get a reference from her neurologist to get the shots.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.