Headphones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Headphones
Headphones and I don't seem to get along very well. I'd say that over the past 7 or 8 years, I've gone through around two dozen earbuds and at least 6 pairs of over ear-headphones. They won't stop breaking, the earbuds last maybe 2-3 months and the over ears rarely make it over 6 months. I've had one pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones (seemed to last awhile), three or so different Skullcandies (pathetically fragile, usually broke within four months each time), and one or two Sennheisers (probably lasted the longest, might have almost made it a year). They've been broke in just about every way imaginable: dead speakers, frayed wires, busted and bent connectors, cracked yokes, even had one where one of the headband extenders snapped in two and was left with just one speaker instead of a pair.

I've been using earbuds for possibly over a year at this point, and I'm ready to acquire a new pair of headphones. I've got one priority above all else this time, and that's durability, although quality is also really important. Comfort is nice but I'm willing to sacrifice it if need be. I'm a VERY heavy music listener, several hours every day, which would explain the frequent breakages of my previous headphones.

I've been doing a bit of research, and the brands that are most frequently mentioned for durability are Shure, V-Moda, and Beyerdynamics. But I'm shit at determining what I'm looking for in terms of sound quality. I tend to prefer a more naturally balanced and neutral sound or something veering a little more into the bass side (but not too bassy) since 90% of what I listen to is metal music and the bass tends to be mixed way too low and is completely drowned out by the guitars.

If any of you have some suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.

As a side note, I wouldn't mind learning some solid choices for earbuds either, I usually just rely on the cheap store knockoffs or the typical apple ones.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2014, 11:54 AM
RE: Headphones
One of the best purchases I have ever made is Bose Quiet Comfort 15 Noise Cancelling headphones. I got them several years ago as a Christmas present to myself. They are wonderful.

Sound is great and they are comfortable to wear. And the noise cancelling feature is awesome. I often wore them when studying to drown out the TV - wasn't even listening to music.

I watch movies on my laptop and use the Bose.

Shortly before I got them my son got a pair of Beats when they first came out. I tried both at the store. Listening to different kinds of music. I really like the Bose. They still work as well as they did when I got them - I think it was four or five years ago.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
27-11-2014, 11:58 AM
(27-11-2014 11:38 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Headphones and I don't seem to get along very well. I'd say that over the past 7 or 8 years, I've gone through around two dozen earbuds and at least 6 pairs of over ear-headphones. They won't stop breaking, the earbuds last maybe 2-3 months and the over ears rarely make it over 6 months. I've had one pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones (seemed to last awhile), three or so different Skullcandies (pathetically fragile, usually broke within four months each time), and one or two Sennheisers (probably lasted the longest, might have almost made it a year). They've been broke in just about every way imaginable: dead speakers, frayed wires, busted and bent connectors, cracked yokes, even had one where one of the headband extenders snapped in two and was left with just one speaker instead of a pair.

I've been using earbuds for possibly over a year at this point, and I'm ready to acquire a new pair of headphones. I've got one priority above all else this time, and that's durability, although quality is also really important. Comfort is nice but I'm willing to sacrifice it if need be. I'm a VERY heavy music listener, several hours every day, which would explain the frequent breakages of my previous headphones.

I've been doing a bit of research, and the brands that are most frequently mentioned for durability are Shure, V-Moda, and Beyerdynamics. But I'm shit at determining what I'm looking for in terms of sound quality. I tend to prefer a more naturally balanced and neutral sound or something veering a little more into the bass side (but not too bassy) since 90% of what I listen to is metal music and the bass tends to be mixed way too low and is completely drowned out by the guitars.

If any of you have some suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.

As a side note, I wouldn't mind learning some solid choices for earbuds either, I usually just rely on the cheap store knockoffs or the typical apple ones.
Whats your problem exactly? Pulling on cords, biting cords or do they just sound muffled?
Surprisingly enough when you have earbuds ear wax can seep through and clog those itity bitty speakers. You could just clean them with a q tip, the speakers that is.
I switched to bluetooth earbuds and never going back, I hated cords so much. I'd always eventually stretch them out and never had the patience wrapping them up proper.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
27-11-2014, 12:18 PM
I've had Bose, Sony, Senn, etc. The noise cancelling ones are terrible for sound quality if you ever plan on listening lossless, uncompressed, or have a good sound card. By far, the best headphones I've had weren't even theost expensive. Audio Technica M50... Highly recommended as long as you like closed style and meaty sound. Soundstage could be wider, but that would probably require open style, which lack bass.

Interestingly, two logical atheists I've met here at work both chose the same ATH-M50 headphones as me. The lesser intelligences tended toward the way overpriced Beats.
27-11-2014, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2014 01:15 PM by CleverUsername.)
Headphones don't get along with me, either. I've actually had the best luck with some fifteen buck Sony over ear ones from Wal-Mart. They don't last years or anything (I think I had mine for six months before they broke), but they're easily replaceable and sound pretty good.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
27-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Audio Technica and Sennheiser are arguably the two best headphone manufacturers. I would recommend you to get your headphones from either of those companies.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
27-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Sennheiser 280 Pros. Sturdy as hell, great natural sound, $80.
27-11-2014, 01:41 PM
I have some very nice sennheisers for my desktop at home; closed over ear, went for ~$250 at the time. Going on five years of regular use! I had a pair of their earbuds for mobile use, but they weren't great. Sound was fine, but they didn't last. I've fallen in love with a klipsch set for that role; still good sound after thousands of hours of walking around, heat, cold, twisting, catching, jerking around...

... this is my signature!
27-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Those ATH-M50X headphones that Vosur posted a video on seem like they've probably perfected the M50, now that it has a removable/replaceable cord.

My ear buds are Shure SE425. They've got replaceable cords too but the contacts tend to get sketchy over time since they're tiny little contacts that bend or get corroded with sweat... That and the buds cost $340ish CDN.
27-11-2014, 02:30 PM
I have a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones that I bought back in 2002. I have been extremely careful for the last 12 years not to bend the cables too much etc. I did have to solder one of the wires back onto the circuit board once. I have the old headphones with a small power-amp between the ear pieces and the jack plug. Unfortunately the newer model was released a month later which was a bummer. They're not cheap those headphones, and they are especially expensive if you are living on a student's stipend.

Imagine my horror when the boss was sitting next to me last year talking about the code when the phone went because a client phoned him up. He then picked up my headphones and started twisting the cables and jackplug without thinking. I was wondering how to get them off him. I really kicked myself for not gently but forcefully taking them off him. I was desperately trying to stop myself from swatting his hands. I still seethe about it now.