Headscratching moment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2015, 10:14 AM
RE: Headscratching moment
It all baffles me. Theists keep telling because that I'm not a believer I don't understand the bible or understand god.

Then When I question them on a few things such as the third world, child abuse etc.. Then suddenly they say "We can't understand his ways"

So neither of us understands it. But its used as a sign of weakness in my argument.. But you can use it to strengthen yours.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheStraightener's post
06-03-2015, 10:51 AM
I remember being told how my grandfather was pronounced dead, but woke up in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. My grandmother, a devout catholic, thanked god for answering her prayers and bringing him back. It was a miracle.

In fact he had drank himself unconscious. I suspect that the doctor who pronouced him dead also had a few drinks too many.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
06-03-2015, 11:29 AM
(06-03-2015 05:37 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Recently, a friend of mine was talking about how a pastor was able to revive someone who died in Jesus' name!

He was like: "If that's not proof for God, then I don't know!"

Well if the pastor said so then it must be true. Facepalm

Hook, line, and sinker...

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
06-03-2015, 03:18 PM
(06-03-2015 11:29 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(06-03-2015 05:37 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Recently, a friend of mine was talking about how a pastor was able to revive someone who died in Jesus' name!

He was like: "If that's not proof for God, then I don't know!"

Well if the pastor said so then it must be true. Facepalm

Hook, line, and sinker...

And THAT is why they call them "Fishers of men".....

Dodgy

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
06-03-2015, 05:23 PM
(06-03-2015 08:16 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ... but not one bit of thanks to the people who actually saved her life.

This is all too common and has nothing to do with religion. The medical apparatus and its personnel were, to her mind, just doing their job, performing to expectation, and paid exactly the same heed we pay our car motors when they operate troublefree. When's the last time you thanked your car engine for working properly?

The only time we pay attention to apparati, whether mechanical or people or combined, is when it doesn't work as expected - and then of course we heap blame and opprobrium on it.

The worst jobs in the world are service jobs, whether oil wiper or brain surgeon, because it's impossible to win. You succeed - and no one notices BECAUSE you succeeded. Fail, and the glare of annoyance burns brighter than the sun.

It makes the rare expression of appreciation all the more touching and treasured, because they're so rare.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
06-03-2015, 05:26 PM
(06-03-2015 05:23 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(06-03-2015 08:16 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ... but not one bit of thanks to the people who actually saved her life.

This is all too common and has nothing to do with religion. The medical apparatus and its personnel were, to her mind, just doing their job, performing to expectation, and paid exactly the same heed we pay our car motors when they operate troublefree. When's the last time you thanked your car engine for working properly?

The only time we pay attention to apparati, whether mechanical or people or combined, is when it doesn't work as expected - and then of course we heap blame and opprobrium on it.

The worst jobs in the world are service jobs, whether oil wiper or brain surgeon, because it's impossible to win. You succeed - and no one notices BECAUSE you succeeded. Fail, and the glare of annoyance burns brighter than the sun.

It makes the rare expression of appreciation all the more touching and treasured, because they're so rare.

No shit... I've seen machinists, mechanics and engineers of MONSTER talent - who never get so much as a "good going" from the morons who don't know which way to twist a wrench to tighten..................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Seems to me that if Jebus did it he could have prevented it in the first place. This makes Jebus a prick.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
06-03-2015, 07:51 PM
(06-03-2015 05:23 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  

Maybe but which is more annoying, giving credit where it ISN'T due or giving credit to none?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
06-03-2015, 08:53 PM
(06-03-2015 06:37 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Let's be clear about something....

You're not reallly DEAD until you start decomposing.

Thanks for reiterating this, biker. I'm continually astonished how many seemingly rational people—i.e. this happens fairly often on The Atheist Experience—say "He was dead and came back," or things along those lines.

Here's the thing: If you can come back, you weren't dead. Right? Even Christians should agree with that. Otherwise, they are in the position of arguing that one of Jesus' greatest miracles (Lazarus et al), later repeated by the apostles, is happening right here and now.

I'd say the only way you really know "death" is when the decedent cannot be, and is never, revived.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
07-03-2015, 12:00 AM
(06-03-2015 08:53 PM)claywise Wrote:  Here's the thing: If you can come back, you weren't dead. Right? Even Christians should agree with that. Otherwise, they are in the position of arguing that one of Jesus' greatest miracles (Lazarus et al), later repeated by the apostles, is happening right here and now.

I don't seen why that would be a problem for them. That's effectively what they're already claiming.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.