Health care question ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Health care question ...
For those of you living in countries with actual health care systems (i.e. not the U.S.A.), does dental work get covered?

I ranted (in the ranting thread) that my broken tooth requires a US$1340 crown.

What would it cost you in your country?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2012, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2012 04:09 PM by Vera.)
RE: Health care question ...
Much, much less. And contrary to what you may think, quality is actually good. Have a friend who used to work for a dentist in the States and she was amazed by the poor quality of the treatment - they'd do the minimum amount of work so that the patient would have to come again in a year or so.

Forgot to mention - dental treatment is not covered or they only cover one filling per year or something like this.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
27-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Health industry is so expensive due to government involvement in the first place. As healthcare started in the public sector, healthcare went up across the boards, back when going to a hospital was equivalent cost to hiring a prostitute.
27-12-2012, 04:23 PM
If I remember correctly, the state pays about 20% of the total cost in Germany. I'm going to do a bit of research on this later on.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
27-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Dental is not covered by the healthcare system.
27-12-2012, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2012 04:46 PM by FSM_scot.)
I think here in the UK part of the cost of dental work is partially covered but not totally covered unless there is a reason for the NHS to pay for it, disability etc. But i've never paid more than £30-£40 for work here but was told I would need to pay £80 is I wanted a white filling instead of the metal one i currently have.
27-12-2012, 04:37 PM
In the UK the NHS designate (or you can choose dependent upon spaces) a dentist for you. If you have an income then you have to pay and prices can vary depending on the dentist and area you live in. The goverment subsidize a lot of the cost though if you are recieveing any benefits if working wage is low. If depend entirely on benefits then it is entirely free but obv you dont get much/any of a choice of who performs the work and you will probably have a short waiting time dependant upon the severity of your problem.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
27-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Dental work is ridiculously expensive here.
It might be subsidized a little, but I could get a major heart operation and it wouldn't cost me a cent, I could need 1 tooth pulled and we'd be talking thousands.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
27-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Dental work is fairly cheap here. I had to have a crown done a few months ago, because a filling I had done years ago wasn't done right, but it was with a different dentist, so they wouldn't sort it for free. Anyway, it only cost about a hundred quid.

Check-ups are free as well.

[Image: opforum1.png]
27-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Even with "good" health insurance I had a pretty hefty bill to pay for the crown I got last month. Dental care is crazy expensive and dental insurance (even decent coverage) is only good for cleanings and exams and a simple filling. Crowns and root canals are off the charts expensive.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question for anti-abortion atheists Hierophant 143 4,534 23-05-2014 07:33 AM
Last Post: Walter
  Basic question for Keynesian economists on inequality frankksj 53 828 01-03-2014 09:46 AM
Last Post: frankksj
  Obamacare vs the Affordable Care Act. Which will win? TheBeardedDude 8 422 22-01-2014 01:45 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Maryland to go Full Swiss Monty on Health Care GirlyMan 13 438 14-01-2014 12:01 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  2nd attempt to debate the merits of health insurance frankksj 8 515 10-11-2013 10:36 AM
Last Post: frankksj
  The Jewish Question. Realitarian 34 1,103 12-05-2013 05:16 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
Question Question for "Pro American Soldier Deployment" users: PoolBoyG 6 320 09-11-2012 07:46 PM
Last Post: PoolBoyG