Health care question ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2012, 06:19 PM
RE: Health care question ...
I am in the US, but I have an extra rider in my health insurance that covers dental. Costs me about $15 a month though. Covers everything.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2012, 07:30 PM
As you probably know, in Canada we don't have universal health care which is bullshit. I've ranted about it before. It's pretty expensive if you don't have dental insurance. I've never had a full time job that didn't offer dental after 3 months. My last job had 100% coverage for me and 100% for my wife and dependants up to 2000 bucks. After that it dropped to 80. If I'd known I had so many dental problems I would have used that shit up. Dammit. This year we only have 80% up to 1000.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2012, 01:04 AM
(27-12-2012 07:30 PM)lucradis Wrote:  As you probably know, in Canada we don't have universal health care which is bullshit. I've ranted about it before. It's pretty expensive if you don't have dental insurance. I've never had a full time job that didn't offer dental after 3 months. My last job had 100% coverage for me and 100% for my wife and dependants up to 2000 bucks. After that it dropped to 80. If I'd known I had so many dental problems I would have used that shit up. Dammit. This year we only have 80% up to 1000.
I too live in Canada and for the most part the Provinces only cover basic health care costs like going to a clinic or emergency room. Each province has a list of medications that are covered usually up to 80% and you have to pay a monthly fee. Seniors and children usually have specific programs covered for them. Dental care is out of pocket unless you have a private plan, either through work or spouse/dependent or you can get one yourself. Most of the dental plans cover fillings and checkups etc. Any orthodontics like crowns or root canals etc are covered anywhere from 50% to 100% depending and a max amount per year. That is my experience but like I said, each province manages their own health system. We don't have the best system but we don't have the worst either.
30-12-2012, 09:11 AM
depending on your age. Until you're 12 years old you have free dental care. I don't really know how much it costs since I just got out of the army (which pays all my medical care, and until I drafted my dad took care of it), but I'm pritty sure it isn't 1340$ (root canal doesn't cost that much)

Which remainds me I need to go to the dentist, haven't been there since a long time...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2012, 09:48 AM
(30-12-2012 09:11 AM)shiranl Wrote:  depending on your age. Until you're 12 years old you have free dental care. I don't really know how much it costs since I just got out of the army (which pays all my medical care, and until I drafted my dad took care of it), but I'm pritty sure it isn't 1340$ (root canal doesn't cost that much)

Which remainds me I need to go to the dentist, haven't been there since a long time...
In Scotland, we get it free up to the age of 16 and up to 19 if in education.

[Image: opforum1.png]
30-12-2012, 10:59 AM
(27-12-2012 04:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  For those of you living in countries with actual health care systems (i.e. not the U.S.A.), does dental work get covered?

I ranted (in the ranting thread) that my broken tooth requires a US$1340 crown.

What would it cost you in your country?
I'd get a second opinion, or at least ask around for "crown costs". There may be alternatives. I have a really cool dentist. He's the nicest guy in the world, and so are his staff. If you have a denty with $$$ in his/her eyes, he may be quoting the highest option, and disclosing alternatives. But, I basically know nothing of dental costs.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
30-12-2012, 07:41 PM
(27-12-2012 04:21 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Health industry is so expensive due to government involvement in the first place. As healthcare started in the public sector, healthcare went up across the boards, back when going to a hospital was equivalent cost to hiring a prostitute.
[Image: 3fb31c46f189d214eb82b13848e0ef.jpg]

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
30-12-2012, 08:42 PM
(30-12-2012 07:41 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(27-12-2012 04:21 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Health industry is so expensive due to government involvement in the first place. As healthcare started in the public sector, healthcare went up across the boards, back when going to a hospital was equivalent cost to hiring a prostitute.
[Image: 3fb31c46f189d214eb82b13848e0ef.jpg]
I find that when I'm about to read his posts to greatly lower my expectations.
You'll still be disappointed you bothered to read it but you know, not as disappointed.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question for anti-abortion atheists Hierophant 143 4,518 23-05-2014 07:33 AM
Last Post: Walter
  Basic question for Keynesian economists on inequality frankksj 53 827 01-03-2014 09:46 AM
Last Post: frankksj
  Obamacare vs the Affordable Care Act. Which will win? TheBeardedDude 8 417 22-01-2014 01:45 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Maryland to go Full Swiss Monty on Health Care GirlyMan 13 432 14-01-2014 12:01 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  2nd attempt to debate the merits of health insurance frankksj 8 511 10-11-2013 10:36 AM
Last Post: frankksj
  The Jewish Question. Realitarian 34 1,099 12-05-2013 05:16 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
Question Question for "Pro American Soldier Deployment" users: PoolBoyG 6 318 09-11-2012 07:46 PM
Last Post: PoolBoyG