Healthy Lunch?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2017, 12:09 AM
Healthy Lunch?
I was reading up on the whole healthy lunch program at schools, and mostly this whole thing kind of ticks me off.

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nat...57842204/1

I visited over 4 websites, and found them all to say the same thing. What makes me a bit angry is that these people who are the experts in the field claim kids are getting enough to eat. Taking quotes mostly form places that do have good healthy meals.

As person form the southern part of VA that was in a school that did the healthy programs, I can tell you right now these lunches were no tasty as these claims make. Some schools, who make have a high budget and more time and means nearby to put into the lunches do get better foods. Places like my area, not so much. Often times we got apples that were bleached to keep them from rotting and often times when returned and put back on to kids to again get had developed white spots or coating on them.

Often times what we got was their brown much looking stuff, that smelled like mixed meats mashed together. I'm not kidding either, it was a brownish red color with chunks of something in it, and that was out main course along with the vegetables.
Our whole wheat biscuits were sometimes hard enough that when you hit it on the table it sounded like a rock.

Now, these people on this articular claim high school kids need so many calories (850) a day, even if they are in sports as we 'shouldn't feed enough like they play sports'.
I happen to disagree with this. When starting to eat more healthy and take up yoga, for my age at 18, I need at least 2000 a day to maintain even body weight and at least 1500 to lose weight.
And as the program suggest it was to 'End Hunger' for kids who don't get to eat a lot at homes, with poor families. However, a friend of mine was that kind of person, and due to our lunches being so high in prices her parents couldn't continue paying for it and she had to use the free lunch program just to get food, even so due to our lunches being as I described them, I wouldn't call them edible. And for many areas like mine, which are poor we don't get lunches like they would in Los Angelos or Washington DC.
I can remember more then once kids who ate our lunches, everything on the tray, if they tried to do anything like running a few laps or play ball at gym, were either about to pass out or throw up.

Finally, have the time I think these experts in nutrition might not have tried the food for themselves. As I said, some places better then others budget wise. And some kids can't afford school lunches, they are the rim of poor enough to get reduced lunches, but yet stable enough to pay for lunches so the school won't give them reduced or free lunches. These supplements they suggest or getting extras, half the times (9 out of 10) the lunch ladies would refuse to give out extras, and made the claim 'One per person' all the time, and the leftovers, given to us the next day reheated to make up for money that was used.

As you can see, I don't think this is healthy and I find these aritcls I read to be very biased and one sided.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2017, 12:53 AM
RE: Healthy Lunch?
That's very concerning that they think it's appropriate to limit lunch to within 750-850 kcal for all students grade 7-12. They really need to scrap the maximum and just use an appropriate evidence-based minimum to ensure all students have enough food.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
21-04-2017, 05:02 PM
RE: Healthy Lunch?
I know about this and sadly I also know why.
The experts don't calculate anything on a budget. When they make their great programmes they think about schools that can afford to feed their kids healthy food and enough food. But you say you were from a poorer place. Schools in those areas usually want to seem better than they are and often at the expense of the kids. They are not able to afford the food that they should give the children but they still want the label of the school that feeds their children healthy and balanced meals and "no body here goes without a lunch" and "even the poorest children get at least one meal a day because they go to our school" It's all about money. They buy the cheapest shit they can still call healthy by some stretch of imagination. And that is when you end up with undefined brown "meat"-mass and bleached apples...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user