Heard Around The Oort Cloud

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Votes - 1.56 Average
25-03-2013, 05:43 PM
RE: Heard Around The Oort Cloud
[Image: 30erHCT.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like fstratzero's post
25-03-2013, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:50 AM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 2 users Like Doctor X's post
26-03-2013, 07:26 AM
I didn't say I was right about everything, merely that I have firsthand, if anecdotal, experience advising faculty to play the game and tow the party line since their peers vote at my university as to whether or not they receive tenure. I've seen very hard working, million-dollar researchers be denied tenure because they cut against the grain. Anyone who says a creationist can get tenure easily at a secular university in biology or anatomy is telling an untruth.
26-03-2013, 07:39 AM
(26-03-2013 07:26 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I didn't say I was right about everything, merely that I have firsthand, if anecdotal, experience advising faculty to play the game and tow the party line since their peers vote at my university as to whether or not they receive tenure. I've seen very hard working, million-dollar researchers be denied tenure because they cut against the grain. Anyone who says a creationist can get tenure easily at a secular university in biology or anatomy is telling an untruth.
This from a sample size of what, one? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-03-2013, 07:44 AM
It's the same as asking why an astrologer or alchemist can't get tenure. It's called a Red Herring, SexuallyPleasingJebusTrollJokeWhoNeverTookLogic101. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-03-2013, 08:07 AM
(26-03-2013 07:26 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I didn't say I was right about everything, merely that I have firsthand, if anecdotal, experience advising faculty to play the game and tow the party line since their peers vote at my university as to whether or not they receive tenure. I've seen very hard working, million-dollar researchers be denied tenure because they cut against the grain. Anyone who says a creationist can get tenure easily at a secular university in biology or anatomy is telling an untruth.

It is highly unlikely that a creationist could possibly get tenure in the biological sciences at a secular university.

Creationism is an ignorant belief system that gets no respect from real biologists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-03-2013, 08:48 AM
(26-03-2013 07:26 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Anyone who says a creationist can get tenure easily at a secular university in biology or anatomy is telling an untruth.

If the creationist is trying to push the idea that "God done it", you're right, his ideas will be laughed at and he won't get tenure.

If he quietly goes to church, worships his creator, and then comes to work and advances the ideas of biology or anatomy in a scientific fashion, then he's got as much chance as any other scientist.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
26-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:It is highly unlikely that a creationist could possibly get tenure in the biological sciences at a secular university.

Creationism is an ignorant belief system that gets no respect from real biologists.
Chas, I appreciate your honesty here. Thank you.
26-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Hard to get tenure in a discipline when you disbelieve in the discipline, yes.

--J.D.

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 1 user Likes Doctor X's post
27-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Quote:Hard to get tenure in a discipline when you disbelieve in the discipline, yes.

--J.D.
Huh? Then why can't born again Christians get tenure when teaching biblical studies, but devout Muslims and Hindus snare it easily in those areas? You're very foolish and assumptive, as usual.
[+] 1 user Likes PleaseJesus's post