Heard Around The Oort Cloud

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Votes - 1.56 Average
29-03-2013, 11:53 AM
RE: Heard Around The Oort Cloud
(29-03-2013 11:43 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Who claimed to have heard from God? Isn't it sufficient for you for someone to have read the Bible and have made a decision?

Most definitely not. . . . especially considering the way humans have greatly influenced it. Even if it were absolutely perfect with no errors, . . . it is STILL a document written by human hands. The absolute worst way to claim "a god speaking to you".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Quote:Most definitely not. . . . especially considering the way humans have greatly influenced it. Even if it were absolutely perfect with no errors, . . . it is STILL a document written by human hands. The absolute worst way to claim "a god speaking to you".
To claim I know the Bible is real because God spoke to me is circular and a bad claim on its face. Reread my last post. I read the Bible and judged those giving testimony to be honest. In a court of law a juror cannot have been on the scene but must judge based on whatever forensic/eyewitness/etc. evidence remains. I read the Bible and concluded certain things. Y'all spend more time reading on this forum about "contradictions" than anything else. Don't tell me one of you reads the Bible all the time for pleasure or to learn? I mean whole chapters, books, ideas and stories/narratives? Really?
29-03-2013, 02:29 PM
(29-03-2013 02:09 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Most definitely not. . . . especially considering the way humans have greatly influenced it. Even if it were absolutely perfect with no errors, . . . it is STILL a document written by human hands. The absolute worst way to claim "a god speaking to you".
To claim I know the Bible is real because God spoke to me is circular and a bad claim on its face. Reread my last post. I read the Bible and judged those giving testimony to be honest. In a court of law a juror cannot have been on the scene but must judge based on whatever forensic/eyewitness/etc. evidence remains. I read the Bible and concluded certain things. Y'all spend more time reading on this forum about "contradictions" than anything else. Don't tell me one of you reads the Bible all the time for pleasure or to learn? I mean whole chapters, books, ideas and stories/narratives? Really?

I have read the Bible and judged that its stories are not credible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2013, 02:47 PM
I have also read the bible much in my days. I was a christian for ~20 years, . . . and when I started to REALLY get into it, it wasn't the MAIN reason I de-converted, but was a definite step. Claiming the biblical stories would [in effect] stand up in court is quite a wild statement, . . . . especially when the very book is highly questionable to begin with.

Regardless, my previous post was me . . . speaking about my own thoughts on it. It is the worst way a true conversation can happen. It is cold. Uncaring. Void. Empty of anything personal. If that is "the way god speaks", . . . then your god is hardly compelling.
29-03-2013, 03:17 PM
(29-03-2013 02:09 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  

Really! We do. Imagine that.

Although reading the Qu'ran is really annoying.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
01-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Quote:Really! We do. Imagine that.

Although reading the Qu'ran is really annoying.
Some may. Most Atheists I know have anecdotes about reading it in part or few years ago--again, probably a good reason for me to be on this forum. Thanks for the comment.
01-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Quote:I have read the Bible and judged that its stories are not credible.
My point precisely. It calls to question the confirmatory bias(es) of both Christian and non-Christian "jurors". 12 dolts let O.J. go free also. If you think I'm devastated that mockers and jokesters on Atheist forums find the Bible to not be true... no, I'm only intrigued by the sincere freethinkers and liberals who are confused about the scriptures.
01-04-2013, 07:36 AM
(01-04-2013 07:12 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:I have read the Bible and judged that its stories are not credible.
My point precisely. It calls to question the confirmatory bias(es) of both Christian and non-Christian "jurors". 12 dolts let O.J. go free also. If you think I'm devastated that mockers and jokesters on Atheist forums find the Bible to not be true... no, I'm only intrigued by the sincere freethinkers and liberals who are confused about the scriptures.

We freethinkers are not confused about the scriptures.

Why do you think we find them less than credible?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2013, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 07:12 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
01-04-2013, 12:23 PM
(01-04-2013 11:44 AM)Doctor X Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 07:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Why do you think we find them less than credible?

Poor boy never read them. Like the OJ jurors, he shuts his eyes to any evidence.

--J.D.

The O.J. trail is a perfect example of modern American christianity. Dont look at the evidence look at the flashy showman telling you why the evidence doesn't matter. Coachran might as well have been a flashy preacher in a $100 million mega church going on about how science is mistaken and evolution is a lie from the pit of hell.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense