Heard Around The Oort Cloud

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Votes - 1.56 Average
01-04-2013, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 07:11 PM by Doctor X.)
RE: Heard Around The Oort Cloud

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 12:28 PM
(01-04-2013 12:26 PM)Doctor X Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 12:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The O.J. trail is a perfect example of modern American christianity.

Though to be fair Darden and Monica would be the acne-infested obnoxious stereotypical Atheists that drive people away by being very self-righteous and annoying.

--J. "If it Doesn't Fit . . . Wookie!!" D.

I belive you meant shrill

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
01-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:The O.J. trail is a perfect example of modern American christianity.
How so? Christians know the Lord loves the doing of justice. O.J. was surely convicted on the face of the evidence. It's an example of Atheist-like denial of spiritual reality. Again, you really hold that an estimated 75-97% of the population at any given time and place is deluded? And before I hear about the fallacy of ad populum, again, most of you have parents, families, ex-spouses, teachers, presidents, cops, firemen, etc, etc. in your lives who are delusional... LOL.
01-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes a great deal of the human population (especially in the US) is misguided on this topic. The trends are positive, however, as the younger generations are rejecting religion in greater numbers. I hope to be alive when the fundie populations are completely marginalized.
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
(01-04-2013 01:43 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
How so? Christians know the Lord loves the doing of justice. O.J. was surely convicted on the face of the evidence. It's an example of Atheist-like denial of spiritual reality. Again, you really hold that an estimated 75-97% of the population at any given time and place is deluded? And before I hear about the fallacy of ad populum, again, most of you have parents, families, ex-spouses, teachers, presidents, cops, firemen, etc, etc. in your lives who are delusional... LOL.

I actualy gave 2 examples of what I was reffering to. As to you other irrelevant point yes we do hold that the majority of people are happy not to question the fairy tales they have been read their entire lives. However when you go pulling that 75-97% number unless you are talking about Islmaic countries where theocratic governments enforce the practice, I'd wager that your majority falls to about 12% of people who actualy practice anything more than the basic going to church on sunday (or friday or saturday depending on your brand of fairy tale) and even that practice has been falling by the wayside for some time, note all the empty churches. If everyone in America that said they went to church actualy did they would be overflowing and expanding rather than mostly empty. We represent the 2 etremes PJ you on the prostalitizing side we on the atheistic side however when you look at the muddy middle they tend to agree more with the progressive live and let live than the dogmatic traditions of christianity et all.

Now if your asking why more people (for now, current polling data shows the trend moving away from religion and towards None. 1 in 5 according to the latest Pew data) prefer not to question the story they have been told it is because it's a nice and comforting story with a lot of wish fulfilment and no real effort on their part other than memorising a few words and making token gestures every now and again. They dont know the bible (as you yourself have proven countless times on these forums) and most dont really care to know because thinking is hard and religion is not a major part of their day to day lives.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
01-04-2013, 02:14 PM
(01-04-2013 01:43 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  

Deluded? No. Misled, misinformed, and stuffed into a church at a young age? Yes. Pretending to believe and hiding doubt for fear of offending family or friends? Yes. If everyone was sat down at an adult age, given the full history of all major religions, and asked if they believed any of them to be true, who would say yes?

You just dismissed ad populum as a fallacy by making an ad populum argument. Was that an April fools joke? It gave me a genuine laugh! Well played.

...it would rather be a man... [who] plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them with aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions and skilled appeals to religious prejudice.
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
(01-04-2013 02:14 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 01:43 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  How so? Christians know the Lord loves the doing of justice. O.J. was surely convicted on the face of the evidence. It's an example of Atheist-like denial of spiritual reality. Again, you really hold that an estimated 75-97% of the population at any given time and place is deluded? And before I hear about the fallacy of ad populum, again, most of you have parents, families, ex-spouses, teachers, presidents, cops, firemen, etc, etc. in your lives who are delusional... LOL.

Deluded? No. Misled, misinformed, and stuffed into a church at a young age? Yes. Pretending to believe and hiding doubt for fear of offending family or friends? Yes. If everyone was sat down at an adult age, given the full history of all major religions, and asked if they believed any of them to be true, who would say yes?

You just dismissed ad populum as a fallacy by making an ad populum argument. Was that an April fools joke? It gave me a genuine laugh! Well played.

We born agains are not asking anyone to review the full history of the demonic perversions called Christians and Christian cults. But if one sat down and read the source texts of the major religions, the Bible would be what it remains--immensely popular and a source of true inspiration.

I was having fun with the ad pop, yes. Every other comment y'all make is ad populum or "anecdotal" and I feel like Goldilocks:

This belief has too many adherents

This belief has too few

This one is just right

Of course, none of this ever stops any of you from thinking most secular-minded scientists are wrong about conception, origins, cosmology, evolution, etc. because we all know skeptical peer review dismisses any kind of logical fallacy whatsoever (yawn).

Your fave troll, PJ.
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
(02-04-2013 02:37 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 02:14 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Deluded? No. Misled, misinformed, and stuffed into a church at a young age? Yes. Pretending to believe and hiding doubt for fear of offending family or friends? Yes. If everyone was sat down at an adult age, given the full history of all major religions, and asked if they believed any of them to be true, who would say yes?

We born agains are not asking anyone to review the full history of the demonic perversions called Christians and Christian cults. But if one sat down and read the source texts of the major religions, the Bible would be what it remains--immensely popular and a source of true inspiration.

I was having fun with the ad pop, yes. Every other comment y'all make is ad populum or "anecdotal" and I feel like Goldilocks:

This belief has too many adherents

This belief has too few

This one is just right

Of course, none of this ever stops any of you from thinking most secular-minded scientists are wrong about conception, origins, cosmology, evolution, etc. because we all know skeptical peer review dismisses any kind of logical fallacy whatsoever (yawn).

Your fave troll, PJ.

Scientists are not right or wrong about the beginnings of the universe, they are all hypothesizing based on evidence. And we're not wrong about evolution because the evidence is overwhelming.

You don't believe us when we tell you that all scientific knowledge is provisional because you can't seem to get your tiny, rigid mind around that concept. It's all black and white for you.

Please go troll elsewhere.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-04-2013, 03:57 PM
(02-04-2013 02:37 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  We born agains are not asking anyone to review the full history of the demonic perversions called Christians and Christian cults. But if one sat down and read the source texts of the major religions, the Bible would be what it remains--immensely popular and a source of true inspiration.

I have proof the bible wouldn't be popular in your scenario above but I really don't see the point in sharing it.

(02-04-2013 02:37 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Of course, none of this ever stops any of you from thinking most secular-minded scientists are wrong about conception, origins, cosmology, evolution, etc. because we all know skeptical peer review dismisses any kind of logical fallacy whatsoever (yawn).

The eggheads are 'right' until something better comes along. If you've got that 'something,' why are you here? Get out there and reshape science!

...it would rather be a man... [who] plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them with aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions and skilled appeals to religious prejudice.
03-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Quote:Scientists are not right or wrong about the beginnings of the universe, they are all hypothesizing based on evidence. And we're not wrong about evolution because the evidence is overwhelming.

You don't believe us when we tell you that all scientific knowledge is provisional because you can't seem to get your tiny, rigid mind around that concept. It's all black and white for you.

Please go troll elsewhere.
Huh?! Cosmology (a fancy term for us thinkers for "the beginnings of the universe" as you put it, Chas) is Genesis 1:1. Evolution is Genesis, chapters 1 through 3. Now perhaps we can discuss science and the other 1,100 Bible chapters, since 1. You can be a Christian and believe in Evolution 2. Cosmology is no doubt more complex and dynamic than we read in Genesis 1.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Down Most Ridiculous Christian Warning I've Heard WindyCityJazz 21 468 13-07-2014 12:39 AM
Last Post: Jeffasaurus
  Ralph Ellis. You guys heard of him? Making BIG claims. Denicio 105 4,587 23-01-2014 06:53 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity? thedudette 142 2,797 27-12-2013 07:14 PM
Last Post: TheStraightener
  A musical tribute to Tina Strobos, one of the coolest atheists you've never heard of lightninlives 0 233 08-08-2012 07:02 AM
Last Post: lightninlives
  Stupidest Argument You've Ever Heard? Chan1254 22 1,458 12-04-2012 10:14 AM
Last Post: NoahsFarce
  Heard the dumbest thing today?. Indian 9 862 25-03-2012 12:29 PM
Last Post: Dom
  I hadn't heard that god likes it shaved. You learn something every day.... EvilMomLady 8 620 08-08-2011 06:56 PM
Last Post: monkeyshine89