Heard Around The Oort Cloud

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Votes - 1.56 Average
20-03-2013, 09:27 AM
RE: Heard Around The Oort Cloud
Don't tell me about the APA, PJ. I'm much more versed in psychological theories than you are, unless you've also majored in it and studied it for five years. It wasn't a serious remark, meant to diagnose. Chill out, and don't lecture me about bullying. Aren't you here to bully me into believing, in one way or another? My point is that a mass delusion doesn't negate the delusion part. In order to diagnose schizophrenia or any mental illness, there is a set of qualifiers. And many of the people who meet those qualifications have similar delusions. That doesn't mean each one of them is god, as they claim. Or that they have micro-chips implanted in their brains, as they claim. Or that the government has sent them on a top-secret mission, as they claim. Or that a demon is stalking them, a demon is in their child so they must kill their child, or that god told them to kill their neighbor or postman because X, Y, and Z.

Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries, and your theology out of my biology.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." --Dr. House
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like darthbreezy's post
20-03-2013, 10:24 AM
(20-03-2013 09:04 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Everyone who believes in gods is delusional.
Um, were your parents, your grandparents "delusional"? Should we keep you under lock and key since you are genetically prone to insanity? And yet, if most of the people on this forum are like you--and say all of us are delusional, you still won't admit you have assembled for the purposes of promoting a shared belief? You have no EMPIRICAL evidence to say that the (100 Million?) God-talks-to-me people in America are all insane. Therefore, you have a RELIGIOUS belief without evidence based on faith. Further, Chas, you promote freedom FROM religion while pushing YOUR belief system on others on this forum? Isn't this forum an organized group of people with a common belief(s) about delusional people on the loose? Sounds like a religious group to me, and a nutty or cultic one to boot!

Yet another straw man argument.

Being delusional does not mean one is insane.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Quote:Don't tell me about the APA, PJ. I'm much more versed in psychological theories than you are, unless you've also majored in it and studied it for five years. It wasn't a serious remark, meant to diagnose. Chill out, and don't lecture me about bullying. Aren't you here to bully me into believing, in one way or another? My point is that a mass delusion doesn't negate the delusion part. In order to diagnose schizophrenia or any mental illness, there is a set of qualifiers. And many of the people who meet those qualifications have similar delusions. That doesn't mean each one of them is god, as they claim. Or that they have micro-chips implanted in their brains, as they claim. Or that the government has sent them on a top-secret mission, as they claim. Or that a demon is stalking them, a demon is in their child so they must kill their child, or that god told them to kill their neighbor or postman because X, Y, and Z.
For someone who has studied psychology for years, you sure have some strange notions. Allow me to disabuse you of some of them if I may. In a word, there are untold millions of people, even in the US, who speak to God all the time. An infinitesimal percentage of these folks claim micro-chips in their brains or kill abortion doctors and what-have-you. You are woefully under-educated regarding normalcy in the world. Lumping someone like me in with schizophrenics and child murderers is at best bullying and at worst, slander. Can I sleep with your girlfriend (or boyfriend) tonight? After all, I'm just a person, just like you. We're ALL THE SAME.
20-03-2013, 12:51 PM
(20-03-2013 12:42 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Don't tell me about the APA, PJ. I'm much more versed in psychological theories than you are, unless you've also majored in it and studied it for five years. It wasn't a serious remark, meant to diagnose. Chill out, and don't lecture me about bullying. Aren't you here to bully me into believing, in one way or another? My point is that a mass delusion doesn't negate the delusion part. In order to diagnose schizophrenia or any mental illness, there is a set of qualifiers. And many of the people who meet those qualifications have similar delusions. That doesn't mean each one of them is god, as they claim. Or that they have micro-chips implanted in their brains, as they claim. Or that the government has sent them on a top-secret mission, as they claim. Or that a demon is stalking them, a demon is in their child so they must kill their child, or that god told them to kill their neighbor or postman because X, Y, and Z.
For someone who has studied psychology for years, you sure have some strange notions. Allow me to disabuse you of some of them if I may. In a word, there are untold millions of people, even in the US, who speak to God all the time. An infinitesimal percentage of these folks claim micro-chips in their brains or kill abortion doctors and what-have-you. You are woefully under-educated regarding normalcy in the world. Lumping someone like me in with schizophrenics and child murderers is at best bullying and at worst, slander. Can I sleep with your girlfriend (or boyfriend) tonight? After all, I'm just a person, just like you. We're ALL THE SAME.

You completely deny that a mass delusion does not negate the delusion part, and yet I have strange notions? Interesting. No, you may not sleep with my boyfriend tonight. I never said we're all the same. That's silly. And again, I'm not bullying you, you're just not reading. If you're reading, you're not understanding.

Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries, and your theology out of my biology.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." --Dr. House
[+] 3 users Like darthbreezy's post
20-03-2013, 01:23 PM
(20-03-2013 12:51 PM)darthbreezy Wrote:  If you're reading, you're not understanding.

Oh, he's understanding all right.

But since his only purpose here is trolling, he gains no troll-points for being understanding. But by being deliberately obtuse and refusing to behave like he understands, he gets to keep trolling as long as he wants.

He's not here to discuss, or to learn, or to understand. He's only here to troll.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
21-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Quote:Oh, he's understanding all right.

But since his only purpose here is trolling, he gains no troll-points for being understanding. But by being deliberately obtuse and refusing to behave like he understands, he gets to keep trolling as long as he wants.

He's not here to discuss, or to learn, or to understand. He's only here to troll.
Pot and kettle, Mr. Bond. I'm on an Atheist forum, maintaining my patience and trying to discuss metaphysics and naturalism with thinkers--and taking a lot of garbage to do so. How much time do you spend on Christian forums? How many of you read the Bible rather than Google "contradiction sites"? Give me a break. Your accusation is because you refuse to engage the syllogisms and evidences I provide. How many times, including the title of this thread, e.g. have I asked about the imaginary Oort Cloud that exists in the imagination to maintain an older solar system for secular astronomers--and without ONE response, ONE?! I'm willing to believe in an older Earth and solar system, etc. but want to discuss it with open-minded thinkers.
21-03-2013, 12:04 PM
OK, PJ, I'm trying to understand this thread. Far be it for me to be the pot. Your thread has Oort Cloud in the title but I don't see Oort Clouds being discussed. OK, that was a metaphor I guess. Your OP has a weird quote that basically says we cannot prove god because he's too supernatural to be proven. Fine. If he exists as described by Christianity, then the OP quote is probably true. Then the thread wanders into the following:

How to properly rate threads.

Spinoza.

You just want opinions and don't like your own OP.

Vosur's alleged visual and auditory evidence that never happened.

Soothsaying is evil.

You are or are not God's mouthpiece.

Free Will.

Full revelation requires nothing but obedience, faith and love is what god wants from us.

Bondage.

God might be sick and twisted.

The Torah.

Pascal's Wager is a waste of time.

eBay auctions.

Witches and sorcerers.

Schizophrenia.

Psychology.

So tell me, PJ, what the hell is this thread about anyway? You start with a vague and obvious quote that really needs no discussion - if god exists, then the quote makes perfect sense but if he doesn't then it's a waste of time. Then this thread goes all over the place with more derailments than Amtrak in the 90's (nine, that I know of). All you do is argue without any internal consistency to your arguments. That is the behavior of a troll.

Please, PJ, tell us the real point of this thread and prove you're not just trolling here. If you can.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
21-03-2013, 12:59 PM
(21-03-2013 12:04 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  OK, PJ, I'm trying to understand this thread. Far be it for me to be the pot. Your thread has Oort Cloud in the title but I don't see Oort Clouds being discussed. OK, that was a metaphor I guess. Your OP has a weird quote that basically says we cannot prove god because he's too supernatural to be proven. Fine. If he exists as described by Christianity, then the OP quote is probably true. Then the thread wanders into the following:

How to properly rate threads.

Spinoza.

You just want opinions and don't like your own OP.

Vosur's alleged visual and auditory evidence that never happened.

Soothsaying is evil.

You are or are not God's mouthpiece.

Free Will.

Full revelation requires nothing but obedience, faith and love is what god wants from us.

Bondage.

God might be sick and twisted.

The Torah.

Pascal's Wager is a waste of time.

eBay auctions.

Witches and sorcerers.

Schizophrenia.

Psychology.

So tell me, PJ, what the hell is this thread about anyway? You start with a vague and obvious quote that really needs no discussion - if god exists, then the quote makes perfect sense but if he doesn't then it's a waste of time. Then this thread goes all over the place with more derailments than Amtrak in the 90's (nine, that I know of). All you do is argue without any internal consistency to your arguments. That is the behavior of a troll.

Please, PJ, tell us the real point of this thread and prove you're not just trolling here. If you can.

This thread's purpose was digressed from long ago, yes. Thank you for your rigorous documentation of all the tangents freethinkers went down to divert from the original intention--to get your opinions on a quote I found objectionable. Of course, when people say foolish things about me or the Bible, sometimes I respond. Is that "trolling", to correct misappropriated ideas? Soothsaying! I didn't bring it up. Psychology--has nothing to do with most of what Orthodox Christianity is about. Thanks for helping everyone stay on target in this thread.
21-03-2013, 01:06 PM
(20-03-2013 12:42 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  For someone who has studied psychology for years, you sure have some strange notions. Allow me to disabuse you of some of them if I may. In a word, there are untold millions of people, even in the US, who speak to God all the time. An infinitesimal percentage of these folks claim micro-chips in their brains or kill abortion doctors and what-have-you. You are woefully under-educated regarding normalcy in the world. Lumping someone like me in with schizophrenics and child murderers is at best bullying and at worst, slander. Can I sleep with your girlfriend (or boyfriend) tonight? After all, I'm just a person, just like you. We're ALL THE SAME.

There are even more that think they speak to Allah 6 times a day. It's called the ad populum fallacy. Try harder SexuallyPleasingJebusTrollJoke.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
21-03-2013, 02:46 PM
(21-03-2013 01:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 12:42 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  For someone who has studied psychology for years, you sure have some strange notions. Allow me to disabuse you of some of them if I may. In a word, there are untold millions of people, even in the US, who speak to God all the time. An infinitesimal percentage of these folks claim micro-chips in their brains or kill abortion doctors and what-have-you. You are woefully under-educated regarding normalcy in the world. Lumping someone like me in with schizophrenics and child murderers is at best bullying and at worst, slander. Can I sleep with your girlfriend (or boyfriend) tonight? After all, I'm just a person, just like you. We're ALL THE SAME.

There are even more that think they speak to Allah 6 times a day. It's called the ad populum fallacy. Try harder SexuallyPleasingJebusTrollJoke.
Like the same ad populum "most scientists believe X" fallacy all over this forum therefore Theory Y is fact? Is that what you mean? And you chose a bad example--saying millions believe Allah exists is firming my case that most people are God-believers and not delusional/in denial.