Heard a crazy thing from a friend.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Heard a crazy thing from a friend.
Apparently a friend of mine has an religious uncle that he lives ..I mean that lives with him and his grandparents. You know, the kind that we get here that is banned quite often. He is basically one of those kinds of theists. Very argumentative and fundamentalist about the infallible bible and will insist that since you don't read the bible then your wrong because its not in the bible etc.

Anyway, apparently, my friend noticed that his uncle spends quite a lot of time reading his book and using a pen to write in the book. Thinking he was just underlining phrases or passages to remember for later he didn't pay too much attention to it until he picked the book up when his uncle was not around and saw that all throughout it, his uncle had scribbled out large portions of the bible that he did not agree with. Where it made it to where you cannot even read it anymore. So if a section said something that he did not agree with and conform to his beliefs, he scribbled it out.

Has anyone else ever heard about this before? Someone scribbling out parts so their infallible book will be more infallible cuz it conforms 100% to what they actually believe? I mean, wtf right? Is this a normal thing that some theists might do? Just cross out stuff in their own book they don't like so they don't have to waste time and energy ignoring it when it comes up.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 12:14 AM
RE: Heard a crazy thing from a friend.
(28-12-2014 12:08 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Apparently a friend of mine has an religious uncle that he lives ..I mean that lives with him and his grandparents. You know, the kind that we get here that is banned quite often. He is basically one of those kinds of theists. Very argumentative and fundamentalist about the infallible bible and will insist that since you don't read the bible then your wrong because its not in the bible etc.

Anyway, apparently, my friend noticed that his uncle spends quite a lot of time reading his book and using a pen to write in the book. Thinking he was just underlining phrases or passages to remember for later he didn't pay too much attention to it until he picked the book up when his uncle was not around and saw that all throughout it, his uncle had scribbled out large portions of the bible that he did not agree with. Where it made it to where you cannot even read it anymore. So if a section said something that he did not agree with and conform to his beliefs, he scribbled it out.

Has anyone else ever heard about this before? Someone scribbling out parts so their infallible book will be more infallible cuz it conforms 100% to what they actually believe? I mean, wtf right? Is this a normal thing that some theists might do? Just cross out stuff in their own book they don't like so they don't have to waste time and energy ignoring it when it comes up.

That is sculpting-your-own-shit level of crazy, I'd be scared to stay at that place if he knew I was an atheist.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-12-2014, 12:53 AM
Not enough information about him or his motivations.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2014, 01:46 PM
(28-12-2014 12:08 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Apparently a friend of mine has an religious uncle that he lives ..I mean that lives with him and his grandparents. You know, the kind that we get here that is banned quite often. He is basically one of those kinds of theists. Very argumentative and fundamentalist about the infallible bible and will insist that since you don't read the bible then your wrong because its not in the bible etc.

Marcion: Discarded the Old Testament and cherry-picked the New Testament to match up with his personal theology;

U.S. President Thomas Jefferson: Cut out all the miracles;

"Gordon" (can be found right here on TTA): Much like Marcion -- discards the entire Bible except for the 4 Gospels and the apocryphal "Gospel of Thomas".
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
28-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Most jesus freaks do something similar. Most do not use a pen, though. They just ignore the parts that are inconvenient but it is the same thing. Your uncle is just a little bit crazier.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
28-12-2014, 02:28 PM
(28-12-2014 01:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Marcion: Discarded the Old Testament and cherry-picked the New Testament to match up with his personal theology;

"Gordon" (can be found right here on TTA): Much like Marcion -- discards the entire Bible except for the 4 Gospels and the apocryphal "Gospel of Thomas".

Oooooooooh snap!

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
28-12-2014, 02:32 PM
I thought ol' TJ was basically a humanist?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-12-2014, 02:54 PM
from Smithsonian re: TJ's bible

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cultu...e-5659505/

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-12-2014, 05:08 PM
(28-12-2014 01:46 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

Marcion: Discarded the Old Testament and cherry-picked the New Testament to match up with his personal theology;

And the Veridican Gospel, a sort of DIY harmony of the gospels by Egordon.
28-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Anything made by a god that can be altered by men & women, wasn't really made by a god.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post