Heard a statement about the rapture made me facepalm hard.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2015 10:09 AM by Worom.)
Heard a statement about the rapture made me facepalm hard.
I was at my Best Buddy's house, and his parents had tuned to KPAZ as they are rather religious but I wouldn't call them fundamentalist as they keep their beliefs to themselves for the most part.

On a show that is on on Fridays its called the Hal Lindsey report, every time a "commercial" comes on and in the show itself they state that at the Rapture, we zip through this 17 trillion-mile cavern, which is a distance of 187 trillion billion miles, to the third heaven,in the twinkling of an eye, in eleven one hundredths of a second! (Revelation 4:1, I Corinthians 15:52)"

I did some math on 187 trillion billion miles and came up with below

Another way to write 187 trillion billion miles would be approximately
3.00949 x 10^17 meters,
light travels approximately 300,000,000 m/s after doing some calculations I came up with that the distance they are saying will be traveled equates to approximately 31.81 light years, so they will stop well short of their destination. The argument I saw is that they are referring to some opening in the Orion constellation they will travel through to the third heaven. The closest star in that constellation is approximately 242 ly away. So still way short of their destination.

I can't help but giggle a bit when I hear this when they happen to have that channel on now. It shows how little scientific understanding is really present and the misrepresentation that goes on.

I think what scares me the most is 6 months ago I would have probably believed it without question.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2015, 10:03 AM
RE: Heard a statement about the rapture made me facepalm hard.
I'll give some credence to at least more recently founded religious sects have better scientific foundations. Those Mormons with their planets for all and Scientologists have it better. Well at least relatively better since there are some "spaceships" that are basically planes described in Scientology.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply