Heard the dumbest thing today?.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Heard the dumbest thing today?.
I was playing a game with a chat box, when someone said they were an atheist that believed in fate. Just the stupidity of such a comment rattled me.
I asked him if he looked both ways when he crossed the street?
He said yes (then he isn't sure about fate)
I asked him if he was truly an atheist
He said he believed in science. (those things aren't the same thing)

This guy is mentally challenged. How can you be an atheist and believe in fate. Obviously someone controls the fate or else it isn't fate!!

Damn people are so stupid
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Indian's post
23-03-2012, 11:36 PM
RE: Heard the dumbest thing today?.
Unless of course he is confusing "fate" with "luck" or "chance". Sometimes fate can mean the same as luck or chance.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffrick's post
24-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Hmmm...

I think you can not believe in God but believe in fate. It's the deterministic model of the universe...
24-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Sorry Indian but you are wrong.
I was an atheist long before I was an ... "a religionist" and I believed in fate for a very long time.
Atheist means you do not believe in a god.
In my believe system it was not a Being that controls stuff.
It was the universe that had a certain, let's say, setting. So specific things had to happen or the universe would get out of balance. And that was fate for me. Meeting certain people was fate just like wars or natural desasters.

It is not stupid, it is just uninformed and not thought through.

On the other hand, calling yourself an atheist because you believe in science is not very smart, I aggree on that. But again that is simply uninformed. Just tell that person to google "atheist". Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
24-03-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm guessing this person is young and hasn't been taught how to organize his ideas according to any logical method.
It takes time and reflection to put your various - and often conflicting - beliefs into the appropriate boxes; many people never manage it.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
24-03-2012, 01:26 PM
(23-03-2012 07:30 PM)Indian Wrote:  I was playing a game with a chat box, when someone said they were an atheist that believed in fate. Just the stupidity of such a comment rattled me.
I asked him if he looked both ways when he crossed the street?
He said yes (then he isn't sure about fate)
I asked him if he was truly an atheist
He said he believed in science. (those things aren't the same thing)

This guy is mentally challenged. How can you be an atheist and believe in fate. Obviously someone controls the fate or else it isn't fate!!

Damn people are so stupid
While it's hard to be an atheist and believe in fate, I don't think anyone who believes in fate thinks he/she can walk right through freeway traffic with their eyes closed.

But seriously, people label themselves atheists for not believing in the christian God, which is wrong. This was probably what he did.
Believe me, this person isn't even CLOSE to as stupid as some people.
24-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Maybe he thinks of atheist in the literal non-theist term, in that he doesn't believe in a theistic God, but if he knew better would classify himself as some sort of deist. Fate sounds romantic and exciting to some people, like they have a purpose already divined for them. I seriously doubt he's really thought it all through logically, but is taking a more emotional approach.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
25-03-2012, 11:15 AM
First off, I don't know how he's not an atheist. If he thinks fate comes from some sort of power, than he's not an atheist.

But I think people believe in thing like fate, astrology, etc. is because they are brought up to believe in it, or grow up in a society which believes in it. Ex. people read horoscopes. Why, if it's not true? Because people have always done it since they we're young. It's like a tradition that people do, but don't know why, but still do because they've always done it.
25-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Like others have pointed out, it's probably because he hasn't thought it through. I didn't believe in a deity or higher power once I stopped believing in God, but still maintained other beliefs of afterlife and even heaven/hell, but only because I didn't think of them... at all. If you asked me if I believed them, I would have said yes at the time. There is even a letter I wrote at the time where you can see it. I kept saying "if god exists" and "in the afterlife" and such, because I was hoping that the belief would come back. Took years before I started thinking through and realizing that none of it was real because it would require some overseeing intelligence or something to maintain the supposed balance.

Fate is kind of the same. The person probably doesn't question much past the fact that he believes it. Some people believe that fate is like an energy, but they don't really offer much explanation about how it keeps track of "good" and "bad" and exactly how they might be defined in all circumstances. I guess they figure that if their "fate" is bad, then they must have done something to deserve it or something. It's very odd, and should be pointed out. I wouldn't even discuss much on whether they are an atheist or not, but on the beliefs they hold and why they hold them. Many people describe "fate" (or whatever) as a "force" and don't think it through much past that.

A theist and an atheist go to heaven.
theist: "See! There is a heaven."
atheist: "So, you consider heaven a joke too?"
------
Defy gravity... stand up.
25-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Maybe "fate" is a "force".

Maybe it's the drawer in your brain labelled "good and bad" that has been filling up since you were born and most of which has long sunk into a subconscious level.

This drawer is closely related to the one labelled "cause and effect" since whether you were good or bad was the cause for the resulting feedback the world gave you.

So, if you are "bad" according to drawer number 1, a bad "fate" will result as per drawer number 2. Maybe that is what makes "fate" plausible to so many people.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man