Hearing Protection Act Introduced in House

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Three republican congressmen have introduced a bill dubbed The Hearing Protection Act in the house. If signed into law it would remove sound suppression devices from the list of controlled items currently covered by the National Firearms Act of 1934. That means a $200 tax stamp and a sometimes year long wait on a background check would no longer be required to own a suppressor.

I'm hoping it becomes law. Suppressors aren't the magical devices we see in the movies. You can't use one to shoot someone in a room full of people without anyone noticing. A good 9mm suppressor reduces the noise level of a shot to the equivalent of an air raid siren or a jet engine at takeoff. Something in the 135 to 140 bd range. They also make a weapon less concealable not easier to hide due to adding bulk.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
14-01-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: Hearing Protection Act Introduced in House
I'm not sure that I consider that suppression that beneficial. When I go to the gun range I don my hearing protection before I exit my vehicle (at outdoor ranges). That sound level is still pretty high, for me.
14-01-2017, 06:39 PM
Dang, I thought this had something to do with the loud music my neighbors play.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Quite happy with the OSS Suppressor I recently picked up. It lacks some of the problems inherent with conventional suppressor but cost me a small fortune. Definitely not worth the money considering that I'm only in the US a couple days per month Tongue

'Murican Canadian
14-01-2017, 07:37 PM
(14-01-2017 06:35 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I'm not sure that I consider that suppression that beneficial. When I go to the gun range I don my hearing protection before I exit my vehicle (at outdoor ranges). That sound level is still pretty high, for me.

One of the benefits of using suppressors at outdoor ranges is less noise for the neighbors. The biggest benefit will probably be for hunters. A hunter using a suppressor can skip the hearing protection and get a shot or two off without as large a risk of permanent hearing damage.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
14-01-2017, 07:50 PM
There's actually an organized effort for suppressor legalizing in Canada too. Not that I have much hope it will succeed. They've been allowed in Vermont since 2015.

'Murican Canadian
14-01-2017, 07:51 PM
I can't understand why mufflers haven't been outlawed on cars.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
14-01-2017, 07:55 PM
(14-01-2017 07:51 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I can't understand why mufflers haven't been outlawed on cars.

The muffler corporations would never allow it, even though they know people wouldn't get hit by cars if they could hear them coming. Greedy bastards.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
14-01-2017, 08:05 PM
(14-01-2017 07:55 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 07:51 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I can't understand why mufflers haven't been outlawed on cars.

The muffler corporations would never allow it, even though they know people wouldn't get hit by cars if they could hear them coming. Greedy bastards.

Yeah, those muffler corporations are scarfing down the profits. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-01-2017, 09:12 PM
(14-01-2017 07:37 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 06:35 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I'm not sure that I consider that suppression that beneficial. When I go to the gun range I don my hearing protection before I exit my vehicle (at outdoor ranges). That sound level is still pretty high, for me.

One of the benefits of using suppressors at outdoor ranges is less noise for the neighbors. The biggest benefit will probably be for hunters. A hunter using a suppressor can skip the hearing protection and get a shot or two off without as large a risk of permanent hearing damage.

Now, that I like. I'm not a hunter (I only kill paper). If I was hunting, I'd like to be able to hear the game, in case I can't see it, and to keep my own noise level down to avoid spooking them. Wearing hearing protection would preclude those things. The outdoor ranges I frequent (but haven't been to in almost 4 years- even in retirement, I'm busy as hell Dodgy ) are remote from housing. It looks like a local gun supplier is going to open an indoor range inside our city limits. That's going to be great. The other ranges are 20+ and 35+ miles away, on winding mountain roads. It'll be far more convenient, and I'll be able to make more time for shooting.