Hearing Protection Act Introduced in House

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2017, 09:17 PM
RE: Hearing Protection Act Introduced in House
(14-01-2017 09:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 07:37 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  One of the benefits of using suppressors at outdoor ranges is less noise for the neighbors. The biggest benefit will probably be for hunters. A hunter using a suppressor can skip the hearing protection and get a shot or two off without as large a risk of permanent hearing damage.

Now, that I like. I'm not a hunter (I only kill paper). If I was hunting, I'd like to be able to hear the game, in case I can't see it, and to keep my own noise level down to avoid spooking them. Wearing hearing protection would preclude those things. The outdoor ranges I frequent (but haven't been to in almost 4 years- even in retirement, I'm busy as hell Dodgy ) are remote from housing. It looks like a local gun supplier is going to open an indoor range inside our city limits. That's going to be great. The other ranges are 20+ and 35+ miles away, on winding mountain roads. It'll be far more convenient, and I'll be able to make more time for shooting.

I use earplugs for shotgun shooting and hunting. When hunting, I loosen the offside plug so I can hear, keeping the gun side fully in.
It's a compromise.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2017, 05:35 AM
I'd love to be able to use a suppressor while hunting. When I hunt from my hunting blind - I like to shoot the gun inside the blind - through as small of a crack in the window as possible -- so the deer don't see it coming........ I've missed a shot or two, from stopping and putting in earplugs.....

I got in a hurry a couple years ago - -and lit off my 12 gauge rifle inside the blind, sans earplugs............

If I didn't already have tinnitus, my ears would have rang for days... Wink

Of course, I wouldn't put a suppressor on the 12 gauge --- the fucker'd look like it had a muffler off a Kenworth stuck off the end of it....

My .357 mag single shot rifle, with subsonic 140g bullets on the other hand, would benefit nicely from a good suppressor....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
15-01-2017, 05:36 AM
(14-01-2017 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 09:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Now, that I like. I'm not a hunter (I only kill paper). If I was hunting, I'd like to be able to hear the game, in case I can't see it, and to keep my own noise level down to avoid spooking them. Wearing hearing protection would preclude those things. The outdoor ranges I frequent (but haven't been to in almost 4 years- even in retirement, I'm busy as hell Dodgy ) are remote from housing. It looks like a local gun supplier is going to open an indoor range inside our city limits. That's going to be great. The other ranges are 20+ and 35+ miles away, on winding mountain roads. It'll be far more convenient, and I'll be able to make more time for shooting.

I use earplugs for shotgun shooting and hunting. When hunting, I loosen the offside plug so I can hear, keeping the gun side fully in.
It's a compromise.

Have you tried the electronic plugs with the volume limiting???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-01-2017, 06:30 AM
(15-01-2017 05:36 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  I use earplugs for shotgun shooting and hunting. When hunting, I loosen the offside plug so I can hear, keeping the gun side fully in.
It's a compromise.

Have you tried the electronic plugs with the volume limiting???

No, I'm too cheap to spring for those. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2017, 06:37 AM
(15-01-2017 06:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 05:36 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Have you tried the electronic plugs with the volume limiting???

No, I'm too cheap to spring for those. Big Grin

I've got a set -- they were NOT expensive.. (under 30 bucks)

Check Walmart --- I think I may have gotten them there....

I've used them a few time when I go out in the woods.....

You hear shit (mostly higher frequency stuff) that kind of freaks you out....

I had a chipmunk once that was really freaking me out -- I couldn't see the little fucker -- (on the other side of the tree I was sitting against) --- but it sounded like he was about ready to climb down my neck......

15-01-2017, 07:33 AM
Yeah the Caldwell electronic muffs can be bought all day long for $25-30. You can also sometimes pickup used electronic muffs on some of the gun boards from time to time at a good price. That's where I got the pair of Pro Ears I've been using for at least 10 years now.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
15-01-2017, 07:38 AM
(15-01-2017 07:33 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Yeah the Caldwell electronic muffs can be bought all day long for $25-30. You can also sometimes pickup used electronic muffs on some of the gun boards from time to time at a good price. That's where I got the pair of Pro Ears I've been using for at least 10 years now.

I think Chas wants the "in ear" type of plug.....

I know I can't use earmuffs with a rifle or shotgun -- they interfere with cheek weld...

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
15-01-2017, 08:21 AM
(15-01-2017 07:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 07:33 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Yeah the Caldwell electronic muffs can be bought all day long for $25-30. You can also sometimes pickup used electronic muffs on some of the gun boards from time to time at a good price. That's where I got the pair of Pro Ears I've been using for at least 10 years now.

I think Chas wants the "in ear" type of plug.....

I know I can't use earmuffs with a rifle or shotgun -- they interfere with cheek weld...

I don't really have a problem with the Pro Ears, but they are low profile and designed for rifle shooters. It's also possible I made some adjustments when I first started using them. It's hard to remember because I've changed the way I shoot often in the last decade. These days I hold my rifle much closer to my body's center line than I used to. Check weld is more of forward head movement than to the side. It's different than the way I learned to hold a rifle more than 40 years ago.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
15-01-2017, 08:34 AM
(15-01-2017 08:21 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 07:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I think Chas wants the "in ear" type of plug.....

I don't really have a problem with the Pro Ears, but they are low profile and designed for rifle shooters. It's also possible I made some adjustments when I first started using them. It's hard to remember because I've changed the way I shoot often in the last decade. These days I hold my rifle much closer to my body's center line than I used to. Check weld is more of forward head movement than to the side. It's different than the way I learned to hold a rifle more than 40 years ago.

My SO sez it's because I have a big fucking head....

Big Grin

15-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Hearing Protection Act Introduced in House
(15-01-2017 05:35 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Of course, I wouldn't put a suppressor on the 12 gauge --- the fucker'd look like it had a muffler off a Kenworth stuck off the end of it....
You may be right about that but it does look kinda cool.

https://youtu.be/K1nyIClLvYU
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post