Hearing Protection Act Introduced in House

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2017, 11:54 AM
RE: Hearing Protection Act Introduced in House
(14-01-2017 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  I use earplugs for shotgun shooting and hunting. When hunting, I loosen the offside plug so I can hear, keeping the gun side fully in.
It's a compromise.

I use these...

[Image: 91668_P&$prodImageMedium$]

They're E.A.R. brand by 3M, (CL4 - 23dB). You can still hear the "mechanics" of the gun near your ear without loosening the nearby one. I buy then in a 200-pair box, and chuck them away after one use.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2017, 12:06 PM
(15-01-2017 11:54 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  I use earplugs for shotgun shooting and hunting. When hunting, I loosen the offside plug so I can hear, keeping the gun side fully in.
It's a compromise.

I use these...

They're E.A.R. brand by 3M, (CL4 - 23dB). You can still hear the "mechanics" of the gun near your ear without loosening the nearby one. I buy then in a 200-pair box, and chuck them away after one use.

The problem with those in my area -- where it's cold during hunting season -- they're too stiff to stick in your ears quickly.... You have to roll them with your fingers (after you take gloves off) to warm them up enough to compress.....

So you'd be stuck wearing them all the time....

Painful.... plus you can't hear stuff sneaking up on ya.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-01-2017, 12:20 PM
I just looked it up....

The bill has 68 cosponsors in the House........

From what I take from the site -- it places suppressors in the same category as long guns... I suppose that means you'd still need to fill out a 4473, and have a CCW or pass a NICS check to purchase...... I wonder if it's going to allow the home manufacture of suppressors..... It'd be nice to pop one out on the lathe.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-01-2017, 12:33 PM
As for cheap hearing protection, I use Surefire EP3's. I've got irregularly shaped ear canals and their large is a perfect fit.

'Murican Canadian
15-01-2017, 02:43 PM
(15-01-2017 12:20 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I just looked it up....

The bill has 68 cosponsors in the House........

From what I take from the site -- it places suppressors in the same category as long guns... I suppose that means you'd still need to fill out a 4473, and have a CCW or pass a NICS check to purchase...... I wonder if it's going to allow the home manufacture of suppressors..... It'd be nice to pop one out on the lathe.....

I have two form 1's in the system to build a 22 and a 30 caliber can. I'm not expecting home manufacturing to suddenly become illegal with this bill since it is legal now with a form 1. But nothing is for sure I guess...

SD Tactical makes some high quality stainless and titanium tubes and end caps. Just add your own baffles. A 7.6" titanium tube with titanium caps for both ends would run you about $165 before shipping.

http://sdtacticalarms.com/D-size_c_30.html

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
15-01-2017, 07:13 PM
(15-01-2017 12:06 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 11:54 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I use these...

The problem with those in my area -- where it's cold during hunting season -- they're too stiff to stick in your ears quickly.... You have to roll them with your fingers (after you take gloves off) to warm them up enough to compress.....

So you'd be stuck wearing them all the time....

Painful.... plus you can't hear stuff sneaking up on ya.

I know people who have had earplugs cast to the shape of their ear(s). You wouldn't waste time squirming the soft ones into shape.

https://www.google.com/search?q=custom+e...8&oe=utf-8
16-01-2017, 12:11 PM
(15-01-2017 07:13 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I know people who have had earplugs cast to the shape of their ear(s). You wouldn't waste time squirming the soft ones into shape.

I stick 'em in at the start of a shoot and leave them in place. Takes me all of 10 seconds.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
16-01-2017, 12:48 PM
(16-01-2017 12:11 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 07:13 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I know people who have had earplugs cast to the shape of their ear(s). You wouldn't waste time squirming the soft ones into shape.

I stick 'em in at the start of a shoot and leave them in place. Takes me all of 10 seconds.

They're great for range use. I use them myself. Very comfortable, and nicely disposable......

They're just not good for hunting. I'd go nuts with something stuck in my ear for hours on end..... I frequently spend up to 11 hours at a time, sitting in the blind...

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
16-01-2017, 01:16 PM
(16-01-2017 12:48 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 12:11 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I stick 'em in at the start of a shoot and leave them in place. Takes me all of 10 seconds.

They're great for range use. I use them myself. Very comfortable, and nicely disposable......

They're just not good for hunting. I'd go nuts with something stuck in my ear for hours on end..... I frequently spend up to 11 hours at a time, sitting in the blind...

I gotta hand it to you, you have a shit-ton more patience than I. If it took that long in that kind of weather, I'd figure out a technique like I'd use for fishing, if I wanted to have fish- dynamite the crick.
16-01-2017, 05:14 PM
(16-01-2017 01:16 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 12:48 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They're great for range use. I use them myself. Very comfortable, and nicely disposable......

I gotta hand it to you, you have a shit-ton more patience than I. If it took that long in that kind of weather, I'd figure out a technique like I'd use for fishing, if I wanted to have fish- dynamite the crick.

I'm sitting in a blind.....

That's heated.

And carpeted.

With TV.

And DVD.

And munchies.

And a toilet...

but yeah -- you still gotta sit quietly, stay awake, alert and make as little movement as possible --- so patience is a must.....

It makes for some long, boring days....

My ideal hunt would be a herd of deer, that found and ate somebody's Valium stash --- and stood quietly in the first 15 minutes on opening morning and allowed me to whack my limit........

So far,. it's failed to happen...

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post